Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: WoW ownership Dec 17, 2010, 10:11 Beamer

I submit - that was a nice counter

Do you regard games as services? Mhh... i guess then it looks a bit different...

WoW certainly is.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: WoW ownership Dec 16, 2010, 21:39 eRe4s3r

I submit - that was a nice counter

Do you regard games as services? Mhh... i guess then it looks a bit different...

10. Re: WoW ownership Dec 16, 2010, 14:14 Beamer

What i don't own when I pay for, is something i don't feel bad not to pay for.

So you don't pay for taxis?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: WoW ownership Dec 16, 2010, 10:28 eRe4s3r

The difference between shoplifting and warez is that if you shoplift or buy a game you are still stuck with crap DRM.

Warez is thus a superior product with no DRM.

But speaking of "paying for what you play" - I'd gladly do that and pay exactly as much as I played a game, by the minute. Until then I have a much simpler method than warez or shoplifting I simply wait for a big sale. No point in playing a game as soon as its out unless its purely for MP. Also increases productivity

8. Re: WoW ownership Dec 16, 2010, 10:08 JoeNapalm

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 15, 2010, 22:18:

Which brings me to a funny conclusion.

Legal
Pay money - Own nothing

Warez
Pay nothing - Own warez (copy)

The fact that games are supposed to be "licenses for entertainment" is hilarious, i am not paying for the promise of entertainment. I am paying for a digital copy of a game. Once i pay for it, it is MY digital copy, and i don't care what big-money or the law says about that.

However - for MMO's its fairly obvious and logical that you don't own the game

More like:

Legal
Pay money - own rights to license to use the software

Warez
Pay nothing - get owned by malicious crap built into the warez

Strangely enough, "Big Money" and the Law don't care that you don't care. You ARE paying for a digital copy of the game, but NOT the rights to do anything you want with it. They wouldn't need this convoluted lawyer-speak if people would just be honest and pay for what they play.

You can justify it to yourself any way you want, but there is absolutely no difference between warez and shoplifting, just as there is no difference between digital distro vs a boxed copy.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

7. all your money wont another minute buy Dec 15, 2010, 22:38 space captain

fuck elton, go with kansas on this one  
Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 15, 2010, 22:20 eRe4s3r

candles are last century - use led lights

We are just a light emitting diode in the wind (sounds way better ,p)

5. Re: WoW ownership Dec 15, 2010, 22:18 eRe4s3r

Which brings me to a funny conclusion.

Legal
Pay money - Own nothing

Warez
Pay nothing - Own warez (copy)

The fact that games are supposed to be "licenses for entertainment" is hilarious, i am not paying for the promise of entertainment. I am paying for a digital copy of a game. Once i pay for it, it is MY digital copy, and i don't care what big-money or the law says about that.

However - for MMO's its fairly obvious and logical that you don't own the game

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 15, 2010, 18:56 AnointedSword

Whos world is it? It is as simple as that. Blizzard created the world, we must live in it. We do not own it, we are just passing by... We are just a candle in the wind...Music please...  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

3. Re: WoW ownership Dec 15, 2010, 16:51 DG

Cram wrote on Dec 15, 2010, 14:39:
[...] arguing against a DUI when you've failed every test and needed to go to the hospital to have your stomach pumped.
Cars make for decent analogy for my position.

I own my car. I get to do what I want with it in my private drive. I don't get to do what I want with it on the road (because it affects others) and I don't get to copy the design and make another car. I do get to sell it.

MMO*'s however are more like public transport.

2. WoW ownership Dec 15, 2010, 14:39 Cram

This digital download age, and larger legal departments, have really brought more light to this.

I've always known that a game I buy is not mine. It's intellectual property that solely belongs to the developer and/or publisher. I think I understood this even during the NES days when I got into gaming as a kid. I also thought it was common knowledge by now that using bots or third party programs that give you an advantage, one not programmed into the game and that others do not possess, is going to get you in some kind of trouble. Every single one of these people knows what they're doing is against the rules, and fighting back when you get caught is, in my opinion, about as stupid as arguing against a DUI when you've failed every test and needed to go to the hospital to have your stomach pumped.

A bit off topic, what gave me some sense of ownership of a game was owning a physical copy of the product because I knew I could trade it with friends, at the store or flat out sell to those same people or on Ebay. I do not like that the digital age is slowly taking a lot of that away from me with one-time CD keys and non-redistributable/sellable digitally downloaded software. It's fully the publishers right though, I just wish they weren't selling the digital download for the EXACT same (or sometimes higher) price then the physical products which I assume require higher production and logistical costs.

1. Michael Moore offers to host WikiLeaks. Dec 15, 2010, 13:58 LittleMe

The 75% right, %25 twisted lies man eh? Yes we know he's a grandstanding attention whore.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo