Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ender's Game Project Cancelled

Joystiq has word the planned games based on the Orson Scott Card novel Ender's Game are on indefinite hold. "We have and had an amazing design for the Ender's Game game," Chair Entertainment co-founder Donald Mustard tells them, "[but] one of [parent company] Epic's primary objectives is to create original and unique franchises. I don't know that Ender's Game fits into that strategic objective anymore." When asked if the game was still expected he said: "probably not... Not from us."

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 15, 2010, 13:37 Hyatus

Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow are great books. They speak to the idealistic teenager in me.

However, the sequels read like Tom Clancy novels. I am a Clancy fan as well, but I realize it's an action novel with some intrigue. I don't expect to figure out life, the universe and everything by reading them. That doesn't mean they aren't enjoyable.

SPOILERS FOLLOW

In any case, what the hell were they thinking? Ender's game has, at most, three different things that would be considered gaming and none of them are exciting enough to be their own game and they are too different to be included in one.

You've got:

1. The battle school training.
2. The adventure game he breaks.
3. The endgame all homeworld-style.

Past that, if you included the other books you'd have:

4. Hostage situation takedowns.
5. Escaping from place a to place b.

Yawn.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 15, 2010, 10:01 JoeNapalm

JohnBirshire wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 21:27:
I don't know what the game would be like, 90% of the book was training exercises in a no gravity dome or something of that nature from what I can remember.

There doesn't seem to be much in the book that a game could be made out of.

Actually, Homeworld basically is Ender's Game.

I mean the actual "game" that Ender was playing...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

23. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 15, 2010, 09:59 avianflu

inblack I never troll! That's my actual opinion. Calling someone a troll is a serious thing. I will explain again. The themes you mention are very appealing to teens (the sibling rivalry is of characters in their _teens_ of course). And the anti-authoritarian treatment where the elders are ineffectual and the kids save the planet? Ugh -- left me eye-rolling. As always, It is OK for rational disagreements of opinion on a forum.  

22. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 15, 2010, 09:51 creatorswhim

Thank God. In this current "videogames need to be movies" age, I can't see how they would have made anything decent out of that ANTIWAR novel.

I wonder if they would have even addressed the fact that children don't need to be in wars? Or that genocide is not good? Probably not.

21. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 15, 2010, 08:38 space captain

Beamer wrote on Dec 15, 2010, 08:33:
And it wasn't just "Orson Scott Card hates homosexuals" and it "Chair hates homosexuals" and "Epic hates homosexuals." People on various messageboards were breaking Gears of War II DVDs

thats gay

Go forth, and kill!

20. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 15, 2010, 08:33 Beamer

Epic had nothing to do with Shadow Complex beyond it using Unreal Engine 3.

And beyond Chair being an Epic studio.
And beyond it using resources from Epic's NC headquarters, including doing most of the art there, all the cinematics there, all the testing there, having the producers there, etc.

So Epic had nothing to do with Shadow Complex other than a lot.
And it wasn't just "Orson Scott Card hates homosexuals" and it "Chair hates homosexuals" and "Epic hates homosexuals." People on various messageboards were breaking Gears of War II DVDs

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 15, 2010, 08:07 Parallax Abstraction

The last game they worked on was Shadow Complex for the 360 which was a fantastic and super polished "Metroidvania" type game. It's also one of the top selling XBLA games ever. If I recall, it was also loosely based on Empire or at least that universe.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

18. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 15, 2010, 07:50 InBlack

avianflu wrote on Dec 15, 2010, 07:27:
Other than the genuinely great twist at the end of the first book, they are totally banal. Younger teens like the books because kids are the main characters and adults are shown as "ineffectual" against the aliens.

Better bet are the best novels of Heinlein, Clark and Asimov.

LoL, are you kidding or trolling? A kids book? Banal? Did you miss the social commentary there? How bout the exploration of sibling relationship/rivalry? Not to mention the great anti-war theme which is only really explored in the following novels. You really gotta be shitting me...Its a book thats many layers deep but obviously you kind of missed them which is weird since you listed other classic authors....

Science-Fiction is more than just neat ideas laced with interesting speculation...

But then again its pretty easy to list world famous authors. Ive read literally everything from Clark and Asimov and almost everything from Heinlein. Ender's Game and the 2 followup novels in the series rank easily among those greats.

Although I have to agree Dune is in another league altogether...

I have a nifty blue line!

17. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 15, 2010, 07:27 avianflu

Other than the genuinely great twist at the end of the first book, they are totally banal. Younger teens like the books because kids are the main characters and adults are shown as "ineffectual" against the aliens.

Better bet are the best novels of Heinlein, Clark and Asimov.

16. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 15, 2010, 06:24 space captain

it sure as hell isnt Dune.. personally im not a fan of OSC's books  
Go forth, and kill!

15. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 15, 2010, 06:10 InBlack

Mormons and the Church of Latter Day Saints (lol) be damned, this book (and the novels that follow) are fucking brilliant. I will admit I have a soft spot for SF, but I dont read just any trash. This is definitely a classic.  

I have a nifty blue line!

14. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 15, 2010, 02:16 Dr. D. Schreber

Beamer wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 22:35:
Remember all the "Epic hates homosexual" backlash over the last one?

Wonder if ths has anything to do with that.

Actually it was "Orson Scott Card hates homosexuals," mostly because he said he would advocate overthrowing the government if gay marriage is ever legalized. Epic had nothing to do with Shadow Complex beyond it using Unreal Engine 3.

Funny thing about that was how they had Peter David (who couldn't possibly be more liberal and gay-friendly if he tried) write the script for Shadow Complex, which turned out to be suspiciously devoid of any actual references to the book. You'd never guess it from the game but the conflict is supposed to be divided on political party lines, and the villains are the liberals.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

13. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 15, 2010, 00:44 Trevellian

There was supposed to be a video game tie in with Card's later novel Empire as well, never heard anything about that again either.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

12. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 15, 2010, 00:03 Sty

The last time Card and the Mustard brothers worked together was Advent Rising series. A buggy and frustrating experience, so I'm not too sure about trusting the "amazing design" statement.  

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

11. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 14, 2010, 23:31 the_culture

space captain wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 23:07:
awwwww damnit.. there goes our chance at a game based on sci-fi from the church of latter day saints

LOL

10. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 14, 2010, 23:07 space captain

awwwww damnit.. there goes our chance at a game based on sci-fi from the church of latter day saints  
Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 14, 2010, 22:43 eRe4s3r

Or maybe they really want to do something unique  

8. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 14, 2010, 22:35 Beamer

Remember all the "Epic hates homosexual" backlash over the last one?

Wonder if ths has anything to do with that.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 14, 2010, 22:26 PHJF

Buggers!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 14, 2010, 22:22 Flatline

JohnBirshire wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 21:27:
I don't know what the game would be like, 90% of the book was training exercises in a no gravity dome or something of that nature from what I can remember.

There doesn't seem to be much in the book that a game could be made out of.

My guess is that they were going to do a fleet commander game. There were plans to do a mod in Homeworld, but Relic never offered up the ability to mod the game in precisely the ways required to make it work.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo