Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Hats off to Brett Favre on his accomplishment of 297 consecutive NFL starts, a streak that ended last night. He's taken some flack for the uncertainty over whether he'd retire over the past few years, but I know if I were a pro athlete they'd have had to drag me off the field, and I don't blame him for hanging on, especially since he's continued to play at a high level.

Streaky Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: The Guardian: Chapter 2 - The Lantern of Nightmare.
Dynasty War.
Icy Cave.
Links: Extreme Climber Base Jumps Off Mountain In Antarctica. Thanks brother19.
Stories: Inmate seeking kosher meals cites Festivus belief. Thanks Josh.
Italian hospital asks doctors not to snort cocaine at work. Thanks Slashdot.
German man castrates teenage daughter's 57-year-old boyfriend. Thanks Huffington Post.
Science: Russia's Soyuz soon to be only lifeline to space.
Chinese archaeologists unearth 2,400-year-old 'soup'.
How the death of one of Saturn's moons helped create its famous rings.
Superhero FAIL.
SA Holiday Shopping Guide! (Part 1 of 2).
Media: Call of Duty: Lego Ops.
Star Wars vs. Star Trek Theatrical Trailer.
Bus driver loses job after officials discover video of snowman murder.
Follow-up: Last-ditch method at fighting intestinal superbug.
Acid Reflux: 13 Foods To Soothe The Burn.
Historians Discover Numbers And Letters In Mona Lisa's Eye.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2010, 23:15 xXBatmanXx

Caught part of a special about "when QBs hang it up" on ESPN tonight - if it replays, I encourage anyone who loves FB to watch it. As a QB for most of the years I played FB, it was done really well. Lots of perspectives and lots of great knowledge from retired players/coaches, and others.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2010, 21:35 Cutter

Yeah, god love ya Brett but it's time to hang 'em up bud.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2010, 21:34 xXBatmanXx

derelict koan wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 19:40:
MajorD wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 17:31:
I can appreciate Brett’s love for the game and not wanting to give it up and to keep on playing, but he should have been professional enough and smart enough to know when to hang it up and finish on a high (last year/season).

I can understand his desire to keep going after 5 &&#(% hb fumbles were all that kept him from glory. But yeah, I think the snow on the metrodome roof sums up the vikes year nicely, just a very stinky year.

At least we aren't THE WORST in the league this year. Not by much - buy we aren't the worst!

Without Brent we have a lot of talent - we jsut had a horrible leader (chilly) and I am now excited again to be a fan. We have our Dungy now. You know, the guy that we let go to another team and he won a damn ring!

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2010, 20:09 WiillyWonka

Was there a post on The Humble Indie Bundle #2? I didn't see it the past couple of days.

http://www.humblebundle.com/
2nd annual pay-what-you-want for 5 games sale.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2010, 19:45 Creston

Btw, Just Cause 2 is on sale on Steam for 7.50. Ray, go and buy it already, dammit!

Creston

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2010, 19:40 derelict koan

MajorD wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 17:31:
I can appreciate Brett’s love for the game and not wanting to give it up and to keep on playing, but he should have been professional enough and smart enough to know when to hang it up and finish on a high (last year/season).

I can understand his desire to keep going after 5 &&#(% hb fumbles were all that kept him from glory. But yeah, I think the snow on the metrodome roof sums up the vikes year nicely, just a very stinky year.

www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2010, 19:08 xXBatmanXx

Hoop wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 14:19:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 11:45:
Having been a rival as a Vikes fan to the Pack for my whole life, it is amazing he lasted as long as he did as a starter during the drug and drinking days - as he really REALLY sucked, but then again so did the Pack.

I agree with Blue. I played basketball for 12 years all year around and football for 6. It took apprx 10+ concussions (maybe 4 diagnosed), 2 sprained ankles, compressed back, slipped discs, and clicking hip to stop me from playing sports. I would give up everything I have to get those years back and play again. I played until it was damn near physically impossible to do so, and was told to stop by my doctors.

I see it better to try and fail as he did then to not try at all and live the rest of his life wondering - as many do.

Good God you must be a walking weather predictor, & just how do you sneak up on crims with a clicking hip?

Lots and LOTS of physical therapy. My back/hip only give me issues maybe 1x a year.

10. Clients From Hell Dec 14, 2010, 18:41 Kxmode

http://clientsfromhell.net/

"Innovation should be obvious."

------------

"I want them to know that it’s Christmas! Make the reindeer picture the newsletter background or get out of my office!"

------------

Our client said, “spend no more than 10 hours designing and programming it; I don’t want to spend more than $600.” We had spent 10 hours in meetings alone.

------------

"Stop. I can’t explain this to all my visitors. This is too complicated and I never had to do this before on any website. You have to make it work without this empty-cache-and-reload-thing."

------------

"Can you take the edges in and make it more roundy and less squarey."

------------

I was designing a series of posters advertising retirement accounts for a credit union. One had an elderly couple walking on a beach, holding hands, silhouetted against a sunset; another had a similar couple looking into the horizon from the bow of a cruise ship. The tagline on both was something to the effect of “It’s your retirement, what do you want from it?” The comments on the proofs came back (respectively) “It looks like they are walking into the sunset to die” and “It looks like they’re considering jumping overboard.”

I re-submitted some different concepts, but also commented that the client may want to contact their HR department for referral to a therapist.

------------

"Build me a website that looks like Edward Cullen from Twilight. I don’t care about that half-human chick he has a thing for; I just want to see him, but in the form of a website. Can you do this?"

------------

Me: “What makes you think they’re gay?”

Client: “That guy in front is wearing a polo shirt!”

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2010, 18:50.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2010, 17:33 Creston

PHJF wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 15:12:
Who is "all of us"? I thought we were all extremely jaded PC-exclusive gamers like Creston or boobs with 360s?

Since when have I been a PC-exclusive gamer? I've owned pretty much every console that's ever existed. I've been enjoying the hell out of AC2 and AC:B on the PS3 the last few weeks.

Creston

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2010, 17:31 MajorD

I can appreciate Brett’s love for the game and not wanting to give it up and to keep on playing, but he should have been professional enough and smart enough to know when to hang it up and finish on a high (last year/season). The back-and-forth of retiring, not retiring, etc. is when I lost ‘any’ respect and admiration (career, starts, stats, etc.) I had for the guy.

But since the start of the season it has been a downward spiral, and no matter what he says, he is regretting he didn’t REALLY stay retired after finishing strong last season. Dumb Ass!!!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2010, 16:36 Kxmode

Having been a rival as a Vikes fan to the Pack for my whole life

Do you pronounce Vikes as Vi-keys?

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2010, 15:12 PHJF

Who is "all of us"? I thought we were all extremely jaded PC-exclusive gamers like Creston or boobs with 360s?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2010, 14:19 Hoop

Having been a rival as a Vikes fan to the Pack for my whole life, it is amazing he lasted as long as he did as a starter during the drug and drinking days - as he really REALLY sucked, but then again so did the Pack.

I agree with Blue. I played basketball for 12 years all year around and football for 6. It took apprx 10+ concussions (maybe 4 diagnosed), 2 sprained ankles, compressed back, slipped discs, and clicking hip to stop me from playing sports. I would give up everything I have to get those years back and play again. I played until it was damn near physically impossible to do so, and was told to stop by my doctors.

I see it better to try and fail as he did then to not try at all and live the rest of his life wondering - as many do.

Good God you must be a walking weather predictor, & just how do you sneak up on crims with a clicking hip?

Um .. Behind you...

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2010, 13:26 Pigeon

Wow sucks the bus driver lost his job because of some idiot kids and retarded supervisors.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2010, 12:04 xXBatmanXx

Ok seriously - if you dont' already have it - Amazon has a sweet sale going on, their 17 days of chirstmas thingie for games. On top of that, they have Demon's Souls for 14.99 free shipping and no tax for most of us. (link sent to Blue)

Just get it already, and add all of us to your PSN so we can help/hurt eachother!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2010, 11:45 xXBatmanXx

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2010, 11:34 Creston

Favre's never taken flak for taking time to decide whether he wants to retire. He's taken flak for first saying A, then saying B, then saying C, then going back to A, then to B, then to A, then C, then A, then B, then C ad nauseam.

And if he'd just sit in his hillbilly cottage and keep his yap shut, nobody would care. But he's calling press conferences to announce that he hasn't really made his mind up yet. He's a camera whore, and people got fed up with that.

Before anyone starts, yes, ESPN shares just as much, if not more, in the blame for this as Favre himself does. But he could just keep his mouth shut when there's a fucking camera in front of him. Just say "I don't know. Go away."
Even ESPN, aka the Favre Fellatio channel, would get tired of him if he never said anything.

Fuck Favre. Seeing his season go up in complete shambles has been utterly delicious.

Creston

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo