Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Minecraft Beta Next Week

The Word of Notch has the announcement that Minecraft is nearing the beta testing stage, saying the beta for this indie sandbox game will begin a week from today on December 20. Minecraft is available at a 50% discount while it is still in alpha testing, and once the beta launches the price will change to 14.95 Euro, and in addition, Notch says: "We will also change the license to remove the line that promises all future versions of the game for free. Please note that this change only affects people who buy the game after December 20, so if you got the game for during alpha, you will still get all future updates for free, despite this change. A promise is a promise. Buying the game during beta will include all updates up until release, of course, and bug patches will be free."

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 21:02 JohnnyRotten

That's another thing I love about Minecraft. Everyone who plays it has this idea about where to take the game - and no two people seem to agree.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 19:21 Sepharo

ForgedReality wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 19:14:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 01:45:
kxmode wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 00:07:
Why do so many of you love this but there's no mention of Second Life? From my experience SL offers a lot of what MindCraft offers. And yes, I'm aware of the negative uses of SL. Still, for all intents and purposes it is an open sandbox platform where you can create anything you want. And it isn't pixelated.

The ux on Second Life is ridiculously complex. I'd prefer to work with blocks and a 9x9 crafting bench.

3x3*

You caught me.

35. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 19:14 ForgedReality

Sepharo wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 01:45:
Why do so many of you love this but there's no mention of Second Life? From my experience SL offers a lot of what MindCraft offers. And yes, I'm aware of the negative uses of SL. Still, for all intents and purposes it is an open sandbox platform where you can create anything you want. And it isn't pixelated.

The ux on Second Life is ridiculously complex. I'd prefer to work with blocks and a 9x9 crafting bench.

3x3*

34. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 15:55 Kxmode

Kosumo wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 14:40:
Hey kxmode, you should build us a minecraft simulator in Second Life and then we may agree with you

I'll get started! I'll let you know... in about 15 years.

33. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 14:40 Kosumo

Hey kxmode, you should build us a minecraft simulator in Second Life and then we may agree with you

Has for bigspender and his game tester/advice singatue, dude no one think that minecraft would be better if more MMO like but you so it may be a good thing that Notch as not offered you a job with him so you could make his product 'good'

32. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 11:31 Kxmode

kylania wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 10:07:
kxmode wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 02:09:
All of the following was created by Second Life users:

The point is in Minecraft anyone can drop a few blocks here or there and make anything they can think of.

Your average SL user isn't going to make anything like the things in those SL videos. Your average MC user does make the things like in those MC videos.

So what you're saying is MC is like WOW while SL is like EVE Online. Thanks!

Jokes aside, there's always going to be more consumers than creators. In any industry only the gifted rise to the top. This will happen in MC as it has in SL. The only difference between SL and MC is Mindcraft looks very restrictive as far as creativity goes. You can't control the textures, music, sound, etc. You have to build your world from a set of pre-defined objects and rules.

The rules in SL are created by users, for users. If you want to own land you pay. Once you own a piece of land you set the rules for your property. The rules can be loose or strict. They can be freeform or locked to specific conditions to support some sort of RPG you wish to make.

Speaking of which if anyone wanted to get into game making SL might be a good platform to practice on. It has an advanced scripting engine. Prims are objects that can be twisted and bent to form complex objects. There are also high resolution templates for creating textures for avatars and objects. You can import sounds and music. You can also create animations called gestures. Actually, you could create an entire MMO inside SL; as many have done. Basically SL mimics the same basic characteristics game making engines offer. If you're familiar with FPS editors then you have an idea what SL is like.

By the way I'm an average SL user and I've made creative stuff. Off hand I made a Grim Fandango avatar from scratch (even created the textures).

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2010, 11:50.

31. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 10:07 kylania

kxmode wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 02:09:

The point is in Minecraft anyone can drop a few blocks here or there and make anything they can think of.

Your average SL user isn't going to make anything like the things in those SL videos. Your average MC user does make the things like in those MC videos.

30. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 09:36 Verno

bigspender wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 03:07:
minecraft really needs to be like an mmo where you have quests and that, except you also have the sandbox style gameplay to complete them (instead of just grinding)

I think that's probably the worst thing that could happen to Minecraft. The whole point is that the player drives the gameplay in a very loosely defined world. You take that away and the game wouldn't be half as amusing.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

29. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 07:49 space captain

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 06:44:
That sounds like EVE Online

yeh, kinda like that except more 8-bit and simple.. i think a much more fleshed out world system would be a good fit for the DIY gameplay

Go forth, and kill!

28. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 06:44 SpectralMeat

space captain wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 04:27:
i think it would be cool to have levels of production and npc allies akin to the X space games.. so you could build factories/shops/etc. and have like armies of buddies... then you could either ally with other players or go to war with them

That sounds like EVE Online

Steam: SpectralMeat

27. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 06:35 frag.machine

SL have no pigs. Or cows. Or sheeps. Or chickens. Or CREEPERS OH SHEEZ GET OFF MY STUFF NOOOO! SSSSS BOOOOM!

26. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 04:27 space captain

bigspender wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 03:07:
minecraft really needs to be like an mmo where you have quests and that,

no.. no it really doesnt need that at all

i think it needs many more types of creatures and npc types, each with different behaviors.. the sandbox thing could be way bigger

i think it would be cool to have levels of production and npc allies akin to the X space games.. so you could build factories/shops/etc. and have like armies of buddies... then you could either ally with other players or go to war with them

Go forth, and kill!

25. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 03:07 bigspender

minecraft really needs to be like an mmo where you have quests and that, except you also have the sandbox style gameplay to complete them (instead of just grinding)  

24. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 02:09 Kxmode

Dev wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 00:33:
Well first off, I've never seen the kinda cool videos of SL stuff like I see minecraft stuff. Like people building a huge model of earth, etc. Every video I've seen reminds me of WoW. I've done MMO's before and paid for them monthly and also done betas. I'm not really interested in doing SL based on the videos of gameplay I've seen.

Secondly, SL was basically built to make money. Its not an indie thing. You buy and sell game currency for real money.

But hey, if you dig up some cool youtubes of cool creations, I might give it a try.

Myst's Channelwood in Second Life (wow!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6EBp033eLM

The Next Day (Sci-fi/Cyberpunk)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd1abcpFIFI

Pirate Island of Jabberwock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2daJyzzfJE

SL Sailing Tutorial (combat ships)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mk8pqPr0rc

Retropolis (Myst like)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA5eIMs2oCs

Smuggler's Moon (From The Old Republic)
http://secondlife.com/destination/smuggler-s-moon
Compare the screenwith with this:
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/loadNews/17674/Nar-Shaddaa-Smugglers-Moon-Revealed

Deshima (Sci-fi)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_0JlQHwU-I (station's exterior)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqKeBOpkxkA (station's interior)

Caledon (Steampunk)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyDTDzwleic

Dead End (Post Apocalyptic Police vs Zombies)
http://deadend.sl/drop
http://secondlife.com/destination/dead-end

Needless to say I think Second Life is VERY cool! People can, of course, focus on the stuff SL is known for (furies, cybersex BS, etc.) but beneath all that crap there are generally really cool virtual environments to explore. All of it is free to visit. The client is free to download and there are no monthly fees until you decide you want to own land.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2010, 02:31.

23. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 01:45 Sepharo

22. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 00:41 Reactor

Minecraft is so unlike SL it isn't funny.  

21. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 00:33 Dev

Why do so many of you love this but there's no mention of Second Life? From my experience SL offers a lot of what MindCraft offers. And yes, I'm aware of the negative uses of SL. Still, for all intents and purposes it is an open sandbox platform where you can create anything you want. And it isn't not pixelated.

Well first off, I've never seen the kinda cool videos of SL stuff like I see minecraft stuff. Like people building a huge model of earth, etc. Every video I've seen reminds me of WoW. I've done MMO's before and paid for them monthly and also done betas. I'm not really interested in doing SL based on the videos of gameplay I've seen.
Secondly, SL was basically built to make money. Its not an indie thing. You buy and sell game currency for real money.

But hey, if you dig up some cool youtubes of cool creations, I might give it a try.

20. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 00:07 Kxmode

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2010, 01:33.

19. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 00:06 Dev

Tumbler wrote on Dec 13, 2010, 22:07:
Kosumo wrote on Dec 13, 2010, 21:54:
Blue, can we have a Minecraft server please? Fingerscrossed

YES YES YES!

Wow that is a GREAT idea!!

Blue, I'd kick in to buy you minecraft if you don't have it already.

18. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 13, 2010, 23:04 xXBatmanXx

I enjoyed the game the few hours I played....don't really see myself going back to it - but I think it is great what he has done with the game and continues to do. I also think what OTHER people have done in the world is amazing.

That being said, I wonder if he is getting closer to a deal and by releasing this he gets a huge influx of cash. hehehehe Never know!

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo