Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced

As noted in this Pete Hines tweet, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, the next game in The Elder Scrolls series was announced at last night's video game awards, as the tweet says: "For all those who have been asking, TESV, sequel to Oblivion, has been announced. Skyrim will be here on 11.11.11. Wait till you see it." The Elder Scrolls Website has a teaser trailer for the game, which also concludes with that November 11 release date. On a related note, The Elder Scrolls Facebook page invites you to join the elder council, also offering this image from the trailer. This tweet indicates the game will be using an all new engine, which we would guess is id's Tech 5 engine being created for RAGE and DOOM 4.

View
174 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

174. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 21, 2010, 23:24 Jerykk

But I think it's also premature to suggest this is a trend with only a few years to draw on. After all, this gets back to the original point of debate which was the CRPG genre being "dead" based on a few years in the mid 90's, prior to RPGs like Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Planescape, etc.

While it's true that anything could happen in the future and we could see a resurgence of genres that are essentially dead at this point, it seems very unlikely given the direction the industry has taken. In the 90's, development budgets were exponentially smaller so there was a lesser focus on mainstream appeal and accessibility. Most of the now-dead genres were complex and had steep learning curves. With modern publishers constantly complaining about games "only" selling a million units, I find it very hard to believe that they'd invest much money into any project that wasn't directly "inspired" by Call of Duty, Halo, Gears of War or GTA.

I don't even know what the eff "hardcore" is supposed to mean, so it's meaningless to me.

Games with steep learning curves that appeal to a niche audience. Most of the PC games made in the 90's fit this description. The vast majority of games released this generation don't.

But at the same time, the publishing landscape has changed since major publishers are not needed to push games into the market.

That depends on which market you're targeting and what genres you are trying to develop for. Puzzle games, 2D platformers and other relatively simplistic genres don't really need slick visuals or production values. Shooters, racing games, action games in general and RPGs generally do. Also, if you want to release a game for a console, it's going to be pretty tricky without a publisher. Dev kits are prohibitively expensive and you have to get a license before you can release anything. Being an indie on the PC is much easier but then you have less exposure.

Indie devs are still innovating and developing games for niche audiences, but it'll be a while before they can compare to the relatively big-budget niche games released in the 90's. I wouldn't expect to see an indie dev make anything like Deus Ex or System Shock 2 anytime soon.

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2010, 23:41.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

173. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 21, 2010, 19:01 shponglefan

Jerykk wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 04:32:
I guess I should have been more specific when referring to the current industry. I'm talking about the industry since it went really mainstream with the X360 and PS3. So, anything within the past few years. The early 2000's were actually pretty good in terms of variety and innovation. The latter years... not so much.

Apparently so. I was comparing the 2000's to the 1990's. Now you're talking literally the last few years. Well, now that's different. I would agree that among major publishers (at least in the West; not as much in the East) within the last few years things have stagnated a bit. But I think it's also premature to suggest this is a trend with only a few years to draw on. After all, this gets back to the original point of debate which was the CRPG genre being "dead" based on a few years in the mid 90's, prior to RPGs like Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Planescape, etc.

Most of the games I listed would be considered hardcore. How many games released in the past five years would also qualify as such? Very few and almost none as hardcore (and thus risky).

I don't even know what the eff "hardcore" is supposed to mean, so it's meaningless to me. I will argue that for variety and innovation, over the last few years things have shifted towards the indie scene. But at the same time, the publishing landscape has changed since major publishers are not needed to push games into the market.

That said, I was curious and looked up the current top 10 most popular PC titles on Games Ranking. You've got two MMORPGs (technically one), a sim game, an FPS, two single-player RPGs, an RTS, a turn-based strategy game, and two third-person action games. So it's not all military shooters. But on the flipside, all but two are sequels.

172. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 21, 2010, 05:51 Eldaron Imotholin

space captain wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 21:55:
Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 19:57:
If you ask me, Jerykk atleast uses logic due to simple LACK of empirical evidence --

statements like this are why nobody takes you seriously. you sound like a toddler playing at being a big boy... but its time to put down the pacifier, because you arent adorable anymore

So let me guess.. that "nobody takes you seriously" is based on empirical evidence? Or is it another one of your meager attempts to manipulate with empty words?

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

171. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 21, 2010, 04:32 Jerykk

Remember Psychonauts? Okami? Shadow of the Colossus? Little Big Planet? Brutal Legend? Penumbra? Bioshock?

I guess I should have been more specific when referring to the current industry. I'm talking about the industry since it went really mainstream with the X360 and PS3. So, anything within the past few years. The early 2000's were actually pretty good in terms of variety and innovation. The latter years... not so much.

Psychonauts - Great platformer and very unique style. Came out five years ago on last gen platforms so not really current.

Okami - Never played it but it seemed pretty unique. Came out four years ago on PS2 so too old to be considered current. Also a Japanese game and Japanese publishers tend to take more risks than western publishers, though even that is starting to change as they try to appeal to a more global audience.

Shadow of the Colossus - Nice style, not much substance, but unique nonetheless. Came out for PS2 in 2005 so it's a bit too old to be considered current.

Little Big Planet - Relatively low-budget, casual platformer with mainstream appeal due to its family-friendly style. Not risky.

Brutal Legend - Fairly unique. It was dumped by Activision because of its uniqueness and EA surprisingly picked it up. Sadly, it sold poorly so now Double Fine is relegated to making low-budget downloadable games.

Penumbra - Awesome games from an indie developer. As I mentioned earlier, indie developers continue to innovate. Not really relevant to the debate at hand which pertains to publishers taking less risk than they did in the 90's.

Bioshock - Dumbed down version of System Shock 2. Granted, it wasn't a military shooter so it gets risk points for that. Still, the risk was largely mitigated by the placement of unlimited use respawn chambers in every area. Sadly, 2K looks to be milking the series for all its worth since it has proven to not be risky anymore.

Look at the variety of games released by major publishers from 1995-2000:

Mechwarrior 2-4
Heavy Gear 1-2
Interstate 76,82
Carmageddon 1-3
Freespace 1-2
Independence War
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake 1-3
Rainbow Six
Starsiege Tribes
Descent 1-3
Giants
Sacrifice
Messiah
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate 1-2
Fallout 1-2
Commandos
Grim Fandango
The Longest Journey
Outcast
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Terra Nova
Bad Mojo
Oddworld
The Neverhood
Thief 1-2

Note the amount of variety. Space sims, mech sims, vehicular combat, realistic tactical shooter, high-speed over-the-top shooter, zero-gravity shooters, RPG/shooter hybrid, party-based tactical stealth, pure stealth, adventure, hardcore CRPG, action/adventure, platformers, action/strategy, etc. Also note that all of those games were released by major publishers and received mid-to-high budgets for the time.

In the past five years, how often has a major publisher released an original adventure game? Mech sim? Space sim? High-speed, over-the-top shooter? Realistic tactical shooter? Party-based tactical stealth? Pure stealth? Hardcore CRPG? The answer: very rarely, if at all. Mostly the latter. Most of the games I listed would be considered hardcore. How many games released in the past five years would also qualify as such? Very few and almost none as hardcore (and thus risky).

170. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 20, 2010, 21:55 space captain

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 19:57:
If you ask me, Jerykk atleast uses logic due to simple LACK of empirical evidence --

statements like this are why nobody takes you seriously. you sound like a toddler playing at being a big boy... but its time to put down the pacifier, because you arent adorable anymore

Go forth, and kill!

169. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 20, 2010, 19:57 Eldaron Imotholin

Pankin wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 17:42:
Space captain and shponglefan still win because they (for the most part) rely on empirical evidence and are fairly free of making emotional pleas. To be clear, NO ONE arguing on the internet makes SOLE use of these devices without dipping at least a toe in the anecdotal/emotional waters. That person would be a god...such that: they do not exist.

But seriously, they still win for these reasons. It was a hoot though! I'd like to thank everyone who participated!

Blahahaaaa

If you ask me, Jerykk atleast uses logic due to simple LACK of empirical evidence -- which is the whole freaking reason for this discussion in the first place -- wherein your heroes basically keep saying the same stuff you're blabbering right there.

168. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 20, 2010, 18:42 shponglefan

Jerykk wrote on Dec 19, 2010, 21:37:
You're ignoring the actual content of these games. In the 90's, publishers routinely funded games with unique settings, stories, characters, etc. Remember Giants? Messiah? Sacrifice? Earthworm Jim? Planescape: Torment? Grim Fandango? Oddworld?

Remember Psychonauts? Okami? Shadow of the Colossus? Little Big Planet? Brutal Legend? Penumbra? Bioshock?

I swear, it's like you've slept through the 2000's of gaming.

167. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 20, 2010, 17:42 Pankin

Space captain and shponglefan still win because they (for the most part) rely on empirical evidence and are fairly free of making emotional pleas. To be clear, NO ONE arguing on the internet makes SOLE use of these devices without dipping at least a toe in the anecdotal/emotional waters. That person would be a god...such that: they do not exist.

But seriously, they still win for these reasons. It was a hoot though! I'd like to thank everyone who participated!

166. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 19, 2010, 21:45 Sepharo

Microids is still making good adventure games.

In fact I've just learned of Syberia 3.

Apparently it was supposed to come out in 2010... Maybe real soon?

165. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 19, 2010, 21:37 Jerykk

Now you're just handwaving. You claim publishers don't fund innovative games, I point out they do, then you try shifting the goalposts by claiming they're "safe".

I said publishers don't take risks. A casual game is not a risk because it appeals to the largest possible audience. A low-budget game is not a risk because it doesn't need to sell many units to become profitable. A risky game is one that appeals to a niche audience and stands to lose a lot of money should it fail. Space sims, mech sims, adventure games, tactical shooters, etc, are risky genres, which is why publishers either ignore them entirely or only release low-budget and typically low-quality entries on an infrequent basis.

Again, you're shifting goalposts. I pointed out the genres still exist and have games developed for them; I said nothing about whether they are thriving in the same capacity. Obviously things have changed, but those genres haven't disappeared.

Now you're arguing semantics. By your logic, if a low-budget, poor quality space sim is released once every two or three years, the genre is considered to be alive? That's stretching it a bit.

What does PC exclusivity have to do with anything?

It has to do with risk. I said that publishers these days don't take as many risks as they did in the 90's. Big-budget PC-exclusives are risky because they cut out the much larger console audience. With publishers taking fewer risks, they inevitably focus on fewer genres, which is why only a few genres are thriving. When all the major publishers abandon a genre, that genre will not thrive due to the lack of high-profile, quality titles. Occasional, low-budget, low-quality titles are not enough to consider a genre alive.

A good chunk of innovation video-game wise has been taking place on the consoles, if you haven't noticed.

What, you mean the countless generic shooters that all have the same settings, weapons, vehicles, etc, and play pretty much exactly the same? I haven't seen any real innovation coming from publishers in a long time. The indies still innovate as they always have but that has nothing to do with publishers and is thus irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Hell, take adventure games in the 90's for example. 90's adventure games weren't innovative or risky. They were an established genre and there was a glut of them back then because they were popular. Just like the glut of FPS games and the glut of RTSs which followed. Publishers cranked out what was popular. Things are no different today.

You're ignoring the actual content of these games. In the 90's, publishers routinely funded games with unique settings, stories, characters, etc. Remember Giants? Messiah? Sacrifice? Earthworm Jim? Planescape: Torment? Grim Fandango? Oddworld? Publishers were much more open to crazy ideas that wouldn't necessarily appeal to the largest possible audience. That is not the case today, which is why so many games have you playing as an elite military dude fighting terrorists in Russia or the Middle-East or fighting aliens in a post-apocalyptic setting. In the 90's, we had realistic tactical shooters, over-the-top twitch shooters and much greater variety of settings and ideas as a whole.

They also published plenty of games from established genres. Like adventure games. Or space sims. Or flight sims. Etc. Those games really weren't that risky then.

They were risky compared to mainstream genres like shooters, platformers, beat'em-ups and fighting games. Console gaming in the 90's was very much like gaming today. It was completely dominated by a few genres (the aforementioned platformers, beat'em-ups and fighting games). PC gaming was much more diverse, as the major publishers consistently released high-quality games in a wide variety of genres. A hardcore flight sim costs more to make and appeals to a much smaller audience than a platformer, yet publishers still funded them.

Yet people declared the adventure genre "dead" only a few years back. Then suddenly along comes TellTale and a bunch of new games got released. I mean, really, did anyone expect to see new Monkey Island or Sam & Max games 5 years ago? Not really. And now we have them.

For all intents and purposes, the adventure genre is dead. Low-budget, episodic spinoffs of old franchises and lousy, low-budget European games do not constitute a thriving genre.

And almost all those games are LucasArts games. But now that TellTale is making them instead (made up of prior LucasArts employees), the genre is on "life support"? Are you sure about that?

There's a pretty big difference between a large variety of big-budget (at the time), original, 20 hour games versus low-budget, episodic, 1-2 hour spinoffs of old franchises. When was the last time TellTale made an adventure game that was neither episodic nor based on a franchise that was established in the 90's? If you actually think that TellTale is in anyway comparable to LucasArts in the 90's, I'm not sure what to say.

I guess we just have completely different ideas of what constitutes a living genre.

164. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 19, 2010, 21:12 space captain

Jerykk wrote on Dec 19, 2010, 20:45:
My definition of RPG is the most logical and reasonable one.

I realize you feel this way. However, this is your opinion, its not a fact. You are not the creator god of logic and reason, sorry to burst your bubble.

Go forth, and kill!

163. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 19, 2010, 20:45 Jerykk

But when you regard your own personal opinions as something that is as inviolable as the law of gravity, you are obviously prancing around in a land of rainbow unicorns.

I have never claimed my definition of RPG to be absolute fact. However, I have provided ample support for my definition, all of which has yet to be refuted. My definition of RPG is the most logical and reasonable one. I have yet to see you or anyone else prove otherwise. As such, I see no reason to agree with you. That's how arguments work. People generally don't change their viewpoint unless they see a compelling reason to. Your argument consists of telling me that there is no definition of RPG. That's all well and good but there's no reason for me to agree. If I told you that there's no such thing as gravity, in spite of all the logic and facts that prove otherwise, would it be reasonable for you to agree? No, it wouldn't be reasonable.

I believe that words should have meaning. If words have no meaning or become so broad as to encompass too many meanings, the whole point of language is lost. For example, if "dog" also referred to cats, horses and penguins, it would be a pretty useless label. Similarly, "RPG," as used by marketing and the media these days, is simply too broad and defeats the whole point of genre classification. You may believe that classification is inherently pointless and that's fine. However, if that is your belief, there's not much you can contribute to this argument. The purpose of this debate is to establish the most accurate definition of RPG and if you have no definition, you don't really have anything to argue for.

162. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 19, 2010, 20:37 space captain

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 19, 2010, 20:27:
You, my friend, are so full of crap I'm almost insulting myself in replying to this shit.

Also in your latest post that I can't be arsed to quote: It all sounds so cool -- to your credit, truly -- but even the Dutch guy sees you're actually saying squad. You're trying fuckhard to hog the intellectual spotlight with your crap wrapped in silk it almost makes me laugh. Almost.

Lalala shithead fuckhead dickfuck shitfuck fuck you

thanks

Go forth, and kill!

161. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 19, 2010, 20:30 shponglefan

Jerykk wrote on Dec 19, 2010, 17:57:
Sure, they exist. Most of them are safe games

Now you're just handwaving. You claim publishers don't fund innovative games, I point out they do, then you try shifting the goalposts by claiming they're "safe".

Occasional low-budget and low-quality games from obscure European publishers don't really result in a thriving genre.

Again, you're shifting goalposts. I pointed out the genres still exist and have games developed for them; I said nothing about whether they are thriving in the same capacity. Obviously things have changed, but those genres haven't disappeared.

Or how about any PC-exclusive

What does PC exclusivity have to do with anything? That's a red herring. Out of curiosity, do you actually play any console games? Because if you don't, that may explain your views on innovation or lackthereof in the 2000's. A good chunk of innovation video-game wise has been taking place on the consoles, if you haven't noticed.

I don't really see how that's relevant. The fact remains was that there were more genres supported by publishers in the 90's than there are today.

It's relevant because you talked about innovation in the 90's and you keep bringing up all these genres, yet most of them have roots in the 80's. So I'm not sure what your point is.

Hell, take adventure games in the 90's for example. 90's adventure games weren't innovative or risky. They were an established genre and there was a glut of them back then because they were popular. Just like the glut of FPS games and the glut of RTSs which followed. Publishers cranked out what was popular. Things are no different today.

The fact also remains that publishers took more risks, largely due to the fact that games were much cheaper to develop back then.

They also published plenty of games from established genres. Like adventure games. Or space sims. Or flight sims. Etc. Those games really weren't that risky then.

That's stretching it a bit. We've seen some short, episodic games, a couple of visual remakes and a bunch of generic, low-budget and mostly crappy European games.

Yet people declared the adventure genre "dead" only a few years back. Then suddenly along comes TellTale and a bunch of new games got released. I mean, really, did anyone expect to see new Monkey Island or Sam & Max games 5 years ago? Not really. And now we have them.

In the 90's, we got high-profile releases like

And almost all those games are LucasArts games. But now that TellTale is making them instead (made up of prior LucasArts employees), the genre is on "life support"? Are you sure about that?

At any rate, unless you have something new or interesting to bring to the table, I consider this debate over. I'm not going to keep playing the game of shifting goal posts with you.

160. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 19, 2010, 20:27 Eldaron Imotholin

space captain wrote on Dec 19, 2010, 19:42:
Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 19, 2010, 12:01:
I see, this is the part where you start refuting very good arguments and reply in a fashion Jerykk can do nothing with. Discussions more often than not take this turn at some point. Sorry to see this happen. Sometimes you really sound like a freaking simpleton, mate.

I know Jerykk can fight his own battles, but I simply felt like chiming in for a second.

He never responded to my last statement (before I started with the one-liners), because he cant. He's already committed to ignoring me, and all of his arguments at this point amount to putting fingers in his ears and yelling
"LA LA LA LA I CANT HEAR YOU LA LA LA"..
so.. in my twisted indulgence of childishness - one simpleton deserves another. Two wrongs dont make a right, but im not trying to make a right - because currently there is nowhere for it to arise.

I really dont expect some of you kids to understand most of this shit I am talking about - truly. Some people here are more aware than you are, however. Some already get it and some are on the edge. Jerryk and people like you arent going to benefit, but again - you arent the only people on the planet, thats the problem we keep returning to and its the one that you just cant grasp because you refuse to accept reality.

I could call you all kinds of insults as well, however none of it would be nearly as bad as what you do to yourself. Your shit and your problems run DEEP, my friend. Its going to take some serious pain to knock it out of you, and thats a bit unfortunate because serious pain tends to suck.

You, my friend, are so full of crap I'm almost insulting myself in replying to this shit.

Also in your latest post that I can't be arsed to quote: It all sounds so cool -- to your credit, truly -- but even the Dutch guy sees you're actually saying squad. You're trying fuckhard to hog the intellectual spotlight with your crap wrapped in silk it almost makes me laugh. Almost.

159. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 19, 2010, 20:02 space captain

Jerykk wrote on Dec 19, 2010, 19:49:
Are you talking about your questionable attempt at psychoanalysis? I'm not sure why you expected me to respond to that, since it's irrelevant to the debate at hand. Keep on topic and I'll gladly address your points.

The topic is your mind and its inability to address consensus agreement. The topic is your failure to regard terminology as flexible. Your confusion of the objective with the subjective is the very issue behind the topic. In other words, your subjective ideas about a certain term are not the same thing as an empirical observation of an objective event.

But when you regard your own personal opinions as something that is as inviolable as the law of gravity, you are obviously prancing around in a land of rainbow unicorns.

I could call your arguments "questionable", or many other kinds of disparaging statements as well. However, I realize it is my own subjective viewpoint, and may not agree with the viewpoints of others. Can you say the same?

Or will you just ignore it, like the rest of reality?

Go forth, and kill!

158. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 19, 2010, 19:49 Jerykk

He never responded to my last statement (before I started with the one-liners), because he cant.

Are you talking about your questionable attempt at psychoanalysis? I'm not sure why you expected me to respond to that, since it's irrelevant to the debate at hand. Keep on topic and I'll gladly address your points.

157. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 19, 2010, 19:42 space captain

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 19, 2010, 12:01:
I see, this is the part where you start refuting very good arguments and reply in a fashion Jerykk can do nothing with. Discussions more often than not take this turn at some point. Sorry to see this happen. Sometimes you really sound like a freaking simpleton, mate.

I know Jerykk can fight his own battles, but I simply felt like chiming in for a second.

He never responded to my last statement (before I started with the one-liners), because he cant. He's already committed to ignoring me, and all of his arguments at this point amount to putting fingers in his ears and yelling
"LA LA LA LA I CANT HEAR YOU LA LA LA"..
so.. in my twisted indulgence of childishness - one simpleton deserves another. Two wrongs dont make a right, but im not trying to make a right - because currently there is nowhere for it to arise.

I really dont expect some of you kids to understand most of this shit I am talking about - truly. Some people here are more aware than you are, however. Some already get it and some are on the edge. Jerryk and people like you arent going to benefit, but again - you arent the only people on the planet, thats the problem we keep returning to and its the one that you just cant grasp because you refuse to accept reality.

I could call you all kinds of insults as well, however none of it would be nearly as bad as what you do to yourself. Your shit and your problems run DEEP, my friend. Its going to take some serious pain to knock it out of you, and thats a bit unfortunate because serious pain tends to suck.

Go forth, and kill!

156. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 19, 2010, 17:57 Jerykk

So games like Little Big Planet, Portal, Spore, various rhythm games (Guitar Hero, DJ Hero, etc), Flower, Afrika, Mirror's Edge, etc, don't exist?

Sure, they exist. Most of them are safe games, either because of their low budget or because they cater to a casual audience (like rhythm games, for example). Mirror's Edge was the only game there that doesn't fit into either category and even then, it wasn't that risky. It was first-person and it let you shoot people. The platforming wasn't particularly unique or innovative, it was just done in first-person instead of third-person. If they had made ME without providing the player with any means to protect themselves (like Amnesia), that would have been a genuine risk. Even so, EA wasn't very happy with ME's sales so don't expect a sequel or anything like it anytime soon. Finally, Valve is an independent developer so Portal wasn't funded by EA. EA just helped distribute it in retail.

All those genres still exist, dude.

Occasional low-budget and low-quality games from obscure European publishers don't really result in a thriving genre. In the 90's, we saw big-budget mech sims, space sims, flight sims, adventure games, tactical shooters, etc, from established publishers like Activision, Ubisoft, EA and Microsoft. These days we just see military shooters and sequels. Do you really think any of those publishers would fund a game like Sacrifice or Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee now? How about a PC-exclusive hardcore tactical shooter or high-speed twitch shooter like Quake or Tribes? Or how about any PC-exclusive that isn't an RTS or MMO? No, they wouldn't. Like you said, development costs have raised exponentially and as such, publishers are far less likely to fund anything risky.

Pretty much every other genre grew out of the 1980's, not the 90's.

I don't really see how that's relevant. The fact remains was that there were more genres supported by publishers in the 90's than there are today. The fact also remains that publishers took more risks, largely due to the fact that games were much cheaper to develop back then.

Adventure games in particular, another "dead" genre has been nicely revived over the last several years.

That's stretching it a bit. We've seen some short, episodic games, a couple of visual remakes and a bunch of generic, low-budget and mostly crappy European games. In the 90's, we got high-profile releases like Full Throttle, Sam & Max, Monkey Island, Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, Leisure Suit Larry, The Longest Journey, Grim Fandango, etc. The last big-budget adventure game release was Dreamfall in 2006 and even that was severely dumbed down. The sequel is nowhere in sight. The adventure game genre was thriving in the 90's whereas today it's on life-support.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2010, 18:32.

155. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 19, 2010, 12:52 shponglefan

Jerykk wrote on Dec 19, 2010, 02:39:
However, "safe" games and genres weren't the only things that publishers funded, unlike today.

So games like Little Big Planet, Portal, Spore, various rhythm games (Guitar Hero, DJ Hero, etc), Flower, Afrika, Mirror's Edge, etc, don't exist?

It is a fact that publishers in the 90's took more risks than they do now. That is why there were a lot more genres back then.

All those genres still exist, dude. The one thing I will grant you is that the publishing landscape has changed somewhat (especially with the rise of development costs and the internet). But your underlying argument that things have stagnated is patently false.

edited to add: Btw, I was trying to think of what was so innovative about the 90's genre-wise. Really, FPS and RTS games are mostly it, and maybe survival horror, although that's more of an action/adventure niche. Pretty much every other genre grew out of the 1980's, not the 90's.

So, big-budget mech sims, space sims, adventure games, flight sims, tactical shooters, turn-based strategy games, etc, are all going to eventually see a resurgence?

I can't predict the future. But all of these still exist today. Adventure games in particular, another "dead" genre has been nicely revived over the last several years.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2010, 14:15.

174 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo