Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced

As noted in this Pete Hines tweet, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, the next game in The Elder Scrolls series was announced at last night's video game awards, as the tweet says: "For all those who have been asking, TESV, sequel to Oblivion, has been announced. Skyrim will be here on 11.11.11. Wait till you see it." The Elder Scrolls Website has a teaser trailer for the game, which also concludes with that November 11 release date. On a related note, The Elder Scrolls Facebook page invites you to join the elder council, also offering this image from the trailer. This tweet indicates the game will be using an all new engine, which we would guess is id's Tech 5 engine being created for RAGE and DOOM 4.

View
174 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

34. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 20:36 Evil Timmy

osage no onna wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 19:53:
start breeding cliffracers?

Oh please god no. I hated those cliffracers in Morrowind so very, very much. What they can take from Morrowind is the sense of adventure and discovery that I felt was a bit missing from Oblivion. I loved wandering around and finding unique dungeons and villages that I never would have spotted otherwise, that feeling of wondering what's over the next hill, and then being rewarded for finding out. The insane levels of repetition and too-rubberbanded scaling made me feel like it didn't matter where I went, it was all the same. The Oblivion gates suffered from the same fate...it felt like I was running the same gate from a dozen different angles. The main reason I like single-player RPGs is the sense of open-ended choice and player agency, like I'm battling my way through someone else's dream, and that certainly shouldn't be repetitious and grindy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 20:29 Jerykk

Both Morrowind and Oblivion were the first RPGS that I could ever get into.

I think the issue here is that you just don't like RPGs. Morrowind and Oblivion were great open-world adventure/exploration games and in that regard, I enjoyed them both. But as RPGs, they were pretty terrible. I really hope Skyrim actually takes some of the lessons learned from FO3 and improves the RPG aspects of the series. Quests need to be more open-ended and there need to be more skill-checks in dialogue and general interaction. Also, no more horrible speechcraft minigame. That was just awful. In fact, the whole Elder Scroll's persuasion implementation has always been terrible. They just need to discard it entirely and replace it with traditional speech checks.

32. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 20:19 wtf_man

StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 16:15:
Why does everyone jump on the id Tech 5 train? They started development of this game before they bought id and more importantly Todd Howard confirmed to Eurogamer it's a new version of the same engine they've always used.

If Morrowind was Bethesda engine 1.0 and Oblivion was 2.0 then this is 3.0, nothing more and nothing less.

Correct, for the most part.

Morrowind used the NetImmerse engine... then the company changed it's name to Emergent... and the name of the engine to Gamebryo.

Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout, and Fallout New Vegas are ALL Gamebryo, "with some alleged improvements." (Seemingly, none of the improvements being in the "animation portions" of the engine)

Unless they are using the Hero Engine that they bought for their MMO... and using it also for a single player game (which I highly Doubt)... most likely the "new engine" is a new version of GAMEBRYO.

But, I guess we can still HOPE they made a switch to something better.

31. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 20:14 Hump

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 17:21:
I don't understand the hostility towards Oblivion. Sure it wasn't perfect but it was still an exceptional game.

Both Morrowind and Oblivion were the first RPGS that I could ever get into. I guess Oblivion broke some unspoken geek law pertaining to RPG's that I didn't notice. I have nothing but great memories of playing both games, especially Oblivion.

Perhaps it doesn't fit into the RPG genre as much as certain people wanted it to but whatever genre you'd like to apply to it, it was a fantastic experience.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

30. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 20:03 StingingVelvet

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 17:21:
I don't understand the hostility towards Oblivion. Sure it wasn't perfect but it was still an exceptional game.

It was a good game as a more hack n' slash type of experience... the RPG mechanics and story were so dumbed down though it was hard not to be disappointed.

29. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 19:53 osage no onna

J wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 19:39:
Skreeeeee!

Crying

I wonder if they're going to retcon that bit about cliffracers originally chasing off the dragons, always seemed like a bit of joke. And if dragons are going to be some antagonistic force in Skyrim, wouldn't the obvious solution be to just start breeding cliffracers?

28. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 19:39 J

Skreeeeee!  

27. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 18:57 Mashiki Amiketo

Slashman wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 18:46:
Actually, I'd just like for them to revamp the spell system so all fire spells don't look the same and work the same as all ice spells etc. etc.

Why the hell couldn't we have wall of fire type spells and large AoE spells without resorting to mods?
I'm sure you'll be happy to know that the guy who did OOO got hired on by Bethesda and is working as part of the team doing the spell system.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

26. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 18:56 space captain

Do newer console games ever really look better than old ones?

yes

Go forth, and kill!

25. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 18:53 Ratty

At Quakecon didn't Todd say, when asked if they were using rage;s engine for a new game that their "next announced game" would be using Gamebryo instead?

What I remember is that he said they would not be using Tech 5. I don't remember him saying specifically they would be using gamebryo. Someone should hunt up that quote and post it so everybody can spend 10 pages dissecting it. -- Oh, I see someone already did below. Never mind.

What surprises me is that they're even bothering with a new engine. If you're developing primarily for consoles why would a game ever start to "show its age" on the same hardware? Do newer console games ever really look better than old ones?

24. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 18:51 Cutter

Max Von Sydow!!! Nice choice!

King Osric: What daring! What outrageousness! What insolence! What arrogance!... I salute you.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

23. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 18:46 Slashman

Actually, I'd just like for them to revamp the spell system so all fire spells don't look the same and work the same as all ice spells etc. etc.

Why the hell couldn't we have wall of fire type spells and large AoE spells without resorting to mods?

The other thing I also want is for them to make 3rd person gameplay an actul choice without needing a mod for crosshairs(which wasn't terribly accurate) etc.

I always feel better playing Elder Scroll games in 3rd person.(I like seeing my armor and stuff!)

22. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 18:21 Mashiki Amiketo

Skyrim huh? Interesting, I would have figured with all of the NPC talk about the Nerevarine and the wacky shit on summerset isle that would have been the next location.

I like all the whining. Personally as long as the toolset is as easy to use as the TES sets are, that's good for me.

edit:Oh and designing an entire site in flash? Uh...okay. Someone had a brainwave, I think that's the first time I've ever seen a single website via the ff-plugin container soak 2 CPU cores to simply run a website+video.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

21. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 17:38 Bludd

Bethesda always manage to astound me with their game design. They always fix some problem from their previous game and then they make whole new problems which they then fix in their next again game.  

20. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 17:24 Jerykk

Icewind wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 17:16:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 17:13:
Bethesda has confirmed that Skyrim will be using an all-new engine.

http://twitter.com/nickbreckon/status/14015054991069184

Thanks for quoting what I already read in the article.

I still don't buy it though. Until Todd Howard confirms it, this could just be a miscommunication.

It could also be them just HEAVILY tweaking the Gamebryo engine and passing it off as new. We all know the welfare kiddies on the consoles are the main platform and they need to get the engine running on 5 year old hardware.

Possibly. This follow-up Tweet suggests otherwise, however. http://twitter.com/nickbreckon/status/14059634595729408

All I will say is they need to do a hell of a lot more to the engine and gameplay than they did with Fallout 3, which was a fine game but showed its age. If they can provide that then I think they're on to a winner.

I thought FO3 was a great step forward for Bethesda. It was the first game they made in years that could actually qualify as an RPG. It had skill checks, choice and consequence and more meaningful character development. It still had a ton of balancing issues and generally lackluster writing but everything else was much improved over Oblivion. I'm curious to see if they actually retain any of the strengths of FO3 in Skyrim.

19. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 17:21 theyarecomingforyou

I don't understand the hostility towards Oblivion. Sure it wasn't perfect but it was still an exceptional game. The world felt very believable, the gameplay was engaging and the side-quests really gave some variety to the experience. I sunk hundreds of hours into the game, which is something few other games have ever achieved. Sure the RPG elements were a bit weak; sure the AI could be quirky; sure the interface wasn't perfect; sure the combat was quite clunky; sure the initial DLC was poorly thought through, etc. But few other games have come close to it in my eyes, with Dragon Age being the closest.

All I will say is they need to do a hell of a lot more to the engine and gameplay than they did with Fallout 3, which was a fine game but showed its age. If they can provide that then I think they're on to a winner.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

18. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 17:16 Icewind

Jerykk wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 17:13:

Thanks for quoting what I already read in the article.

I still don't buy it though. Until Todd Howard confirms it, this could just be a miscommunication.

It could also be them just HEAVILY tweaking the Gamebryo engine and passing it off as new. We all know the welfare kiddies on the consoles are the main platform and they need to get the engine running on 5 year old hardware.

17. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 17:13 Jerykk

16. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 17:11 Icewind

At Quakecon didn't Todd say, when asked if they were using rage;s engine for a new game that their "next announced game" would be using Gamebryo instead? TES5 is that next announced game...therefore wouldn't that make it Gamebryo?

I really doubt Carmack would let another game beat RAGE to the shelves when it comes to using his engine. Though I doubt he has much choice now that Zenimax owns it.

15. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 17:11 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 16:58:
The occasionally crazy radiant AI made for Oblivion's most memorable moments. Thieves, for example, were hilarious to watch. I remember seeing an Argonian thief "sneak" up to an NPC's face and pickpocket them in plain sight. Naturally, the NPC called the guards and every guard in town started chasing the Argonian around. Eventually, they surrounded him and beat him to death.

Another great moment was when I was tasked with murdering some old lady out in the mountains. I found her, threatened her and then she attacked me. I was about to pull out my dagger when my horse goes agro and starts pummeling the old lady. She then starts running away with my horse in hot pursuit. Moments later, an imperial ranger appears out of nowhere. I was concerned because I thought he was going to attack me or my horse but he starts chasing after the old lady as well. I stand there for like a minute watching as my horse and a ranger chase an old lady around in circles before beating her to death.

Good times.

OK that never happened to me and now I'm envious... Pouting

174 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo