Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 3 Announced

Mass Effect 3 was officially unveiled at the Spike VGA Awards, confirming speculation that a reveal for Mass Effect 3 was one of the surprises planned for the show. The trailer revealing the game is up on GameTrailers.com, showing Commander Shepard some dude doing a little sniping from Big Ben in the face of an overwhelming alien invasion. The clip showing with a "Holiday 2011" release window.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 15, 2010, 01:50 Jerykk

The biggest problem is that nobody really believes the Reapers are coming, except for a few individuals here and there. Shepard's the ONLY one who has solid evidence of that fact, based on what the hologram at Ilos told him. And if there's nothing going on for a year or so, the team's going to disband. I don't find that all that unbelievable.

After fighting the giant Terminator Reaper at the end of ME2, you'd think that the rest of the crew would be convinced about the existence of Reapers. This goes doubly so for veteran crew members like Garrus and Tali. After defeating Sovereign in ME1 and the Reaper-in-progress in ME2, I'm pretty sure they'd believe Shephard's warnings and stick around.

I think Bioware just painted themselves into a corner by making this a trilogy with one continuous storyline AND letting party members die. No doubt they'll find some silly excuse to force you to assemble yet another new party in ME3 but it will inevitably feel contrived.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 14, 2010, 18:36 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 04:08:
You recruited them to stop the Collectors, not the Reapers.

True, but there isn't much logic in disbanding the team after you've learned that the Collectors work for the Reapers and that the Reapers are still very much a threat. Of course, the team will undoubtedly be disbanded before ME3 and you'll have to find an all-new team.

The biggest problem is that nobody really believes the Reapers are coming, except for a few individuals here and there. Shepard's the ONLY one who has solid evidence of that fact, based on what the hologram at Ilos told him. And if there's nothing going on for a year or so, the team's going to disband. I don't find that all that unbelievable. Heck, several team members Shepard specifically recruited solely for that mission, and they say as much.

That would be ideal, yes. However, Bioware has thus far completely failed to live up to its promises of long-term, meaningful consequences. They've all boiled down to e-mails or cameo appearances. This was the case in ME2 and Dragon Age: Awakenings. I'd really love for ME3 to change the trend but I have to make predictions based on what has already been established.

Eh, I'd give 'em some time. ME to ME2 was really the first game where they tried something like that, you can't expect it to be awesome right off the bat. I figure ME3 will probably have a lot more stuff like that than ME2 does. And it was pretty much hinted at (and IIRC admitted to by devs on the forum) that the Rachni would be back in 3 IF you chose to keep them alive. And if not, that's a MAJOR ally you've killed.

Let's put it this way: I was pleasantly surprised when, at the start of AC:Brotherhood, Ezio was wearing the same outfit he'd worn at the end of AC2. The rest of the game industry isn't really cracking out the continuity either.

Creston

30. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 14, 2010, 04:08 Jerykk

True, but there isn't much logic in disbanding the team after you've learned that the Collectors work for the Reapers and that the Reapers are still very much a threat. Of course, the team will undoubtedly be disbanded before ME3 and you'll have to find an all-new team.

It seems pretty likely that that will happen. It just takes the Rachni time to get back to full strength, even for an insect race. I guess the Rachni queen could've sent you five Rachni warriors to help with the Collectors, but that's kinda pointless. The whole feel of that encounter was that, down the road, the Rachni would be there to help you fight the ones that caused their race to go insane the first time around (which was revealed, or at least strongly hinted at, to be the Reapers or their agents.)

That would be ideal, yes. However, Bioware has thus far completely failed to live up to its promises of long-term, meaningful consequences. They've all boiled down to e-mails or cameo appearances. This was the case in ME2 and Dragon Age: Awakenings. I'd really love for ME3 to change the trend but I have to make predictions based on what has already been established.

29. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 13, 2010, 17:11 Draugr

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Dec 13, 2010, 05:15:
For all we know, the Reapers reaching Earth isn't the very beginning of the game, or something that's even inevitable based on the choices you make. It's silly to assume Earth is the only locale at this point; it's the focus of the trailer because most of the fanbase has wanted to, but has not had the opportunity, to see what Earth looks like in this setting.

Couldn't agree more, watching all of these people worrying about the game taking place solely on earth is pretty funny, if we think back to the reveal trailer for ME2 the gist of the trailer was Shepard was dead, and certainly there was more to it than that, but they knew how to get people talking.

As I stated before I'm thinking that going to earth might be the "suicide mission" of ME3

28. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 13, 2010, 15:15 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 16:49:

I'm also curious as to which companions will carry over from ME2. Considering that any of them could die at the end of ME2, I'm not sure how that will work out. If none of them carry over, that will make ME2 feel somewhat pointless, as recruiting people to stop the Reapers was the whole point of ME2.

Finally, I hope the choices I made in ME1 & ME2 have much more significant consequences in ME3. In ME2, the consequences consisted of random cameos or e-mails that had no impact on gameplay whatsoever. I freed the Rachni queen in ME1 and in ME2, a psychic messenger told me that the Rachni would help me one day. That had better happen in ME3.

It seems pretty likely that that will happen. It just takes the Rachni time to get back to full strength, even for an insect race. I guess the Rachni queen could've sent you five Rachni warriors to help with the Collectors, but that's kinda pointless. The whole feel of that encounter was that, down the road, the Rachni would be there to help you fight the ones that caused their race to go insane the first time around (which was revealed, or at least strongly hinted at, to be the Reapers or their agents.)

Creston

27. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 13, 2010, 15:11 Creston

Wooot! One more year, baby! Woooo!

Creston

26. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 13, 2010, 10:27 Overon

Well shepard makes an appearance at the end of the clip.  

25. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 13, 2010, 09:20 Eldaron Imotholin

Blue, do you really think that was Commander Shepard sniping? Did you even watch the video? Like the first guy in this thread said, it's not Shepard. I don't think it's a random dude either. Hell, it's almost like Bioware and Crytek have some sort of relationship because that guy looks AND sounds like Psycho from Crysis  

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

24. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 13, 2010, 07:03 Verno

At least the main storyline stuff looks more interesting than ME2. Color me excited.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

23. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 13, 2010, 05:15 Dr. D. Schreber

For all we know, the Reapers reaching Earth isn't the very beginning of the game, or something that's even inevitable based on the choices you make. It's silly to assume Earth is the only locale at this point; it's the focus of the trailer because most of the fanbase has wanted to, but has not had the opportunity, to see what Earth looks like in this setting.  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

22. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 13, 2010, 02:53 Eldaron Imotholin

Fearing the game would only take place on Earth implies Shepard wouldn't be chilling in the Normandy and that's bullocks.

Furthermore I can't say this is much of a surprise for anyone ^^ Who didn't expect ME3 in 2011?

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

21. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 13, 2010, 00:43 Jerykk

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Dec 13, 2010, 00:28:
Does this mean ME3 takes place completely on Earth? If so, that's disappointing. A large part of the series' appeal was exploring the galaxy and different planets.
Does it really matter what planet the low-walled combat sequences take place on? One installation or cave or ship is as good as the next...

Variety is the spice of life. Even if the combat is fundamentally the same in every locale, I'd still like to have different scenery and enemies.

20. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 13, 2010, 00:28 Wowbagger_TIP

Does this mean ME3 takes place completely on Earth? If so, that's disappointing. A large part of the series' appeal was exploring the galaxy and different planets.
Does it really matter what planet the low-walled combat sequences take place on? One installation or cave or ship is as good as the next...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

19. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 12, 2010, 21:06 eRe4s3r

Empty space, that is.  

18. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 12, 2010, 21:01 Draugr

entr0py wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 19:25:
DG wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 17:05:
I'm also curious as to which companions will carry over from ME2.
IIRC there was some statement stating ME2 choices would substantially impact ME3.

Think back to ME1, you could have gotten Ashley, Kaidan or Wrex killed. None of them could join your group in ME2, they only made guest appearances.

So I'm going to guess none of the ME2 companions are coming back to your party in ME3, since (as far as I know) you could have gotten any one of them killed.

Then again, the two DLC companions from ME2 were purely optional and played no part in the main storyline. That's the only other way it could work.

Bioware specifically said they left those ME1 characters out of your possible party because they wanted them around for ME3, I guess it doesn't tell you whether or not they'll be in your party, but they will be in the game. It'd be silly to think at least some people from ME 1 and ME 2 wont be returning to you're party, imo.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2010, 21:10.

17. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 12, 2010, 21:01 Nucas

Bumpy wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 17:13:
I suppose its too much wishful thinking that this will be an open world game taking place on several different planets? Thought so.
very first 60 second cg promo trailer is released a year out guys! let's all assume the very worst!
WHOA WHO GOT HALO IN MY MASS EFFECT??!

jesus christ, what a load of god damn blubbering over nothing. the series has gotten better with each game, i expect more of the same.

16. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 12, 2010, 20:40 Jerykk

As for the choices from ME1 in ME2, some had more impact than others, but again, don't expect "huge" repercussions from your choices - there are so many variables that bringing all storyline threads together, scripting/programming/voicing them AND making them 'work' is again, almost impossible. The scope of the game is already pretty huge.

The consequences don't necessarily need to be huge but they do need to be more substantial than the random e-mails and cameo appearances in ME2. For example, if you freed the Rachni Queen in ME1, the Rachni should help you fight the Reapers at some point in ME3. You wouldn't need a lot of writing for this, you'd just need some extra scripting. Alpha Protocol had tons of meaningful consequence where your choices would have gameplay repercussions later in the game. There's no reason why ME3 can't do this.

15. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 12, 2010, 20:36 Slashman

Yeah, I'm guessing all new team choices for ME3 with a few possible exceptions.

I think that most of the crew that did survive will end up joining with their respective races for the final fight. So you'll likely be looking for a whole new set of hired help.

Thane would likely be dead anyway due to his disease and Samara would likely be off doing Justicar stuff. Ditto for Mordin and Grunt. Most crew members would likely have their own crap to take care of after the mission.

So yeah...a new team is very likely.

14. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 12, 2010, 19:49 Mangrove

I only lost the bald chick probably due to my bad ass commandering techniques. But I think the rest of the crew got turned to mush. Serves them right, one dialogue line having expendable motherfuckers.

What mean expendable?

It's like....... someone invites you to a party..... and you don't show up..... It don't matter.

13. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 12, 2010, 19:25 entr0py

DG wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 17:05:
I'm also curious as to which companions will carry over from ME2.
IIRC there was some statement stating ME2 choices would substantially impact ME3.

Think back to ME1, you could have gotten Ashley, Kaidan or Wrex killed. None of them could join your group in ME2, they only made guest appearances.

So I'm going to guess none of the ME2 companions are coming back to your party in ME3, since (as far as I know) you could have gotten any one of them killed.

Then again, the two DLC companions from ME2 were purely optional and played no part in the main storyline. That's the only other way it could work.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo