Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

One of my favorite things about tackle football is that they do not postpone games due to the weather, they just play through whatever comes. And weather certainly shouldn't have been an issue this weekend for the Giants, as they were heading into Minnesota to play in their dome. Of course that was before the G-men's flight was diverted to Kansas City due to the snow in Minny, which postponed the game until tomorrow night. And that was before the Metrodome roof caved in due to snow, so now the game will be played in Detroit, which will actually give the Giants home field advantage, as you are not going to find any Lions fans rooting for the Vikings. When the Giants got to play the Saints on a neutral site after Katrina it seemed unfair, but in this case the Vikes are getting less sympathy from me, as this is the fifth time that roof has caved in from the snow, which seems a clear indictment of the judgment of using a fiberglass roof supported by air pressure to cover the field in one of the most inclement spots in the entire country.

Snowy Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: City Siege.
Isoball 3.
Links: 6 Shocking Ways TV Rewires Your Brain.
Who Needs Acid When You Have These Animated Buildings? Thanks brother19.
Five Sci-Fi Children's Books. Thanks Neatorama.
Stories: Assembling the Global Baby.
Stowaway breaches security, hides in plane wheel well, dies. Congrats TSA.
Red Sea Shark Attacks: Killing Spree Puzzles Scientists.
Media: A Real Life Size TF2 Sentry Gun.
Christmas time in Portland.
Elaborate cardboard Gundam cosplayer.
The Funnies: FoxTrot.
Follow-up: The "Real" Hamster Dance. Thanks Neatorama.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2010, 03:33 Hoop

Had a beautiful hot evening here, sun just gone now at 9.30pm.
Calm balmy still night.

Um .. Behind you...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2010, 23:51 xXBatmanXx

That TF2 guy shuold get up with this kid:

http://www.paintballsentry.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JvxnrzB1Jk

Gave it the Portal sounds for their sentry guns:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QcfZGDvHU8&feature=related

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2010, 23:45 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 18:54:
Minnesotans are nice people. Dumb, but nice. And this why the Packers will always rule over them

Go check graduation rates, SAT, ACT, etc and compare Wisc with Minnesota. Welcome to your FAIL.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2010, 23:44 xXBatmanXx

Well, as a season ticket holder:

1. They should have played it at TCF stadium in MPLS where the Gophers play (OUTSIDE)
2. They should have just cut the damn roof off and played anyway
3. Would have made more sense to have it back in NY for the reasons mentioned by Blue
4. They are talking about haveing the Monday night game in New Orleans....crap - 1 of 2 games I wanted to see this year

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2010, 23:04 space captain

Life is dangerous. Get used to it.  
Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2010, 21:59 Jeraxle

Blue wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 18:15:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 17:48:
Though it is common knowledge that the wheel case is not a place where you can survive - so in a sense this is just natural selection doing its thing.

It is a place where bombs can survive, though. If this is not the TSAs responsibility, it should be. This situation seems much more dangerous than allowing passengers to carry nail clippers and shampoo.

There are multiple layers of security at every major airport (such as Charlotte-CLT where this situation occurred). You say that TSA should be responsible for things like this however, all that does is increase the size and cost of our government. For instance, there are about 395 people currently in TSA that would know what they are looking for when inspecting an aircraft (I.E. not screeners). Each one of them makes pretty darn good money. When you factor in that a major airport generates upwards of 1,000 flights a day, that's a lot of manpower. On another note, in order to do this, arrest authority (I.E. making screeners federal police officers) would have to given. Ask yourself, do you really want that guy that got fired from McDonald's to have a gun and a badge?

The breach that occurred in this situation lies at the feet of two layers. The fist would be the airport operator that obviously didn't secure the perimeter and the AoA. The second would be the airline itself. Contrary to popular belief, the airlines are indeed in charge of security of their aircraft.

As far as the fear of someone placing a bomb or other item inside the cargo compartment or wheel-well, I completely agree with you, Blue. However, the most possible involvement from TSA in this matter would have been to write the regulation that states that the wheel-wells and cargo compartments must be visually inspected prior to take off. Unfortunately, in this situation, we will probably never know if they were inspected and this kid jumped on afterward, or if the ground crew didn't do their job. That being said, I refer back to my original comment of perimeter security could have stopped this entire situation.

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

9. Play in any weather! Dec 12, 2010, 21:44 Ant

Bah, should just play in the snow like the old days.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2010, 21:29 Kosumo

A51Abductee wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 18:33:
GICP1610 wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 17:42:
I was just saying the same thing about football to my wife while watching the Chicago New England game, no other sport has its athletes tough it out through rain, snow, fog or any other kind of nasty weather.
Where else can you see 22 millionaires all freezing their butts off and trying to beat each others brains out at the same time?!

Hockey. Try the NHL's Winter and Heritage Classics, both outdoor games. This is the same sport where a defenseman will block a shot with his face, lose 12 teeth and simply have the roots trimmed off on the bench and return to the game.

No knock on football, it's tough in its own way.

Well, Rugby is played out doors in all weather, I'd say that the rugby players are as tough as football players, even tougher are the Rugby League players. (Rugby League is diferent to Rugby, is more like American Football) The Aussie NRL competion I'd call the hardest comp in the world.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2010, 18:54 Cutter

Minnesotans are nice people. Dumb, but nice. And this why the Packers will always rule over them

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2010, 18:33 A51Abductee

GICP1610 wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 17:42:
I was just saying the same thing about football to my wife while watching the Chicago New England game, no other sport has its athletes tough it out through rain, snow, fog or any other kind of nasty weather.
Where else can you see 22 millionaires all freezing their butts off and trying to beat each others brains out at the same time?!

Hockey. Try the NHL's Winter and Heritage Classics, both outdoor games. This is the same sport where a defenseman will block a shot with his face, lose 12 teeth and simply have the roots trimmed off on the bench and return to the game.

No knock on football, it's tough in its own way.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2010, 18:15  Blue 

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 17:48:
Though it is common knowledge that the wheel case is not a place where you can survive - so in a sense this is just natural selection doing its thing.

It is a place where bombs can survive, though. If this is not the TSAs responsibility, it should be. This situation seems much more dangerous than allowing passengers to carry nail clippers and shampoo.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2010, 17:48 eRe4s3r

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2010, 17:43 Jeraxle

Stowaway breaches security, hides in plane wheel well, dies. Congrats TSA.

In all fairness, perimeter security of all airports is the responsibility of the airport operator, not TSA. All this kid needed to do was hop a fence to get to the aircraft. It's not like he had to go through a security checkpoint.

Just thought I'd throw that out there before everyone starts lambasting TSA over something out of their control.

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2010, 17:42 GICP1610

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2010, 16:04 Killer Kane

"Dome design, you're doing it wrong"  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo