Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

CoD DoS Arrest

BBC News has the story of a 17 year-old in the U.K. who was arrested for allegedly using a booter program on a Call of Duty server to both boost his own score and to deny others access to the game. The report says Activision reported this issue to the authorities in September, and a Manchester youth is now in police custody for the denial of service under the Computer Misuse Act. "Programs marketed in order to disrupt the online infrastructure not only affect individual players but have commercial and reputational consequences for the companies concerned," said Detective Inspector Paul Hoare, who suggests this is a gateway sort of offense. "These games attract both children and young people to the online environment and this type of crime can often be the precursor to further offending in more traditional areas of online crime." Thanks Big Download.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

61. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 13, 2010, 05:22 Dwarf_Snowninja

I prefer lindt (swiss is teh best). It was a bit of a comfort to see the exact same thing in my friends cupboard from Switzerland as I can get in the states.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 13, 2010, 00:43 eRe4s3r

Hells - i don't eat sweet stuff anymore all that much but i admit Kinderschokolade is pretty high up on the kind of stuff thats hard to stop once you start...

But seriously, 15$ to 40$ ? You make me think about moving to the USA and importing all the sweets from here and still make a huge profit of it

300g of that costs 3€ - so you were really getting ripped off there.
Amazon.de

(yes, thats the expensive stuff on amazon + taxes! In our markets this much cheaper ;P)

Reminds me how i would probably starve in the USA because nobody makes proper brötchen over there. ( http://www.nw-news.de/_em_daten/_nw/2010/11/15/101115_1851_broetchen.jpg )

59. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 12, 2010, 22:31 Kxmode

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 11, 2010, 13:47:
Now that we're talking about candy.. I have to say something: Chocolate in America blows. If you ever get near a store that imports chocolate from Europe.. buy "Kinder" chocolate. My American family plus like whole freaking Connecticut by now is convinced and will agree with me. Hershey(sp?) chocolate is a joke.

Don't feel offended. Trust me, a new world opens up after ye followed my advice. ^^

Deutschland Schokolade is THE BEST chocolate in the history of world... ever! Mmmmmm.... schokolade...

58. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 11, 2010, 18:10 Eldaron Imotholin

I think you're one of the relative few that know this then, Seph. Most Americans I've met had no idea! ^^

And yeah they are asshats. I wanted to buy a bunch of Kinder chocolate in New York for xmas presents last year and for something that should've cost around 15 dollars max I had to pay 35 or maybe even 40 dollars. They had no pricetag so I didnt expect it. I didnt buy it of course. Nor did I propose putting them back where I got them. The way they wanted to rob me for such an absurd price pissed me off.

It's too bad for you guys. Some of the europian stuff (cheese too for example) is so much better, imo.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

57. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 11, 2010, 14:04 Sepharo

We know European chocolate is better but that doesn't stop us from thinking that the people who import it are self-important asshats.

You of course don't need to import it, so enjoy your delicious chocolate

56. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 11, 2010, 13:47 Eldaron Imotholin

Now that we're talking about candy.. I have to say something: Chocolate in America blows. If you ever get near a store that imports chocolate from Europe.. buy "Kinder" chocolate. My American family plus like whole freaking Connecticut by now is convinced and will agree with me. Hershey(sp?) chocolate is a joke.

Don't feel offended. Trust me, a new world opens up after ye followed my advice. ^^

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

55. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 11, 2010, 13:28 PHJF

Except it's never fucking on sale. I just had to pay $6 for a box of CTC.

I had to.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

54. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 11, 2010, 12:56 Sepharo

kxmode wrote on Dec 11, 2010, 11:44:
You know what else amazes me? Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Fuck yes.

53. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 11, 2010, 12:07 Beamer

It always amazes me whenever there are legal matters on Blue's News there's no shortage of armchair lawyers

Unlike most of them, though, I actually was a practicing attorney.

Never go to law school. Being an attorney blows.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

52. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 11, 2010, 11:44 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Dec 11, 2010, 10:38:
Actually it's not a legally binding contract. This has been proven as such time and again in court.

Stop.

That's not even close to true.
Some have not held up in court.
Some have held up fine in court.

There's no consensus about this, other than that they must be reasonable. To say that you can click-through with no legal ramifications isn't even close to true.

Go google ProCD, Inc. v. Zeidenberg, one of the major cases in these regards, and see how wrong you're adamantly being.

It always amazes me whenever there are legal matters on Blue's News there's no shortage of armchair lawyers.

You know what else amazes me? Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

51. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 11, 2010, 10:38 Beamer

Actually it's not a legally binding contract. This has been proven as such time and again in court.

Stop.

That's not even close to true.
Some have not held up in court.
Some have held up fine in court.

There's no consensus about this, other than that they must be reasonable. To say that you can click-through with no legal ramifications isn't even close to true.

Go google ProCD, Inc. v. Zeidenberg, one of the major cases in these regards, and see how wrong you're adamantly being.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

50. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 11, 2010, 03:09 Jerykk

There is nothing illegal about modifying software that you run on your own machine.

Depends on what you're modifying and what country you're in. If you live in the U.S. and you modify software in order to circumvent DRM, that's a violation of the DMCA and is thus illegal.

49. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 11, 2010, 03:08 KilrathiAce

Hopefully this will teach him to stop playing cod garbage.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

48. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 11, 2010, 02:44 Safety Helmet

Many people are actually good at trolling, and often have something to say that's at least worth reading. You spout shit from your keyboard that is so dumb I just feel sad that people like you exist.

Work on that reading comprehension, lady. I said you don't pay to play online.

There is nothing illegal about modifying software that you run on your own machine. Yes, he abused their software to cheat. No, it doesn't qualify as a DoS. The only thing he was denying access to was HIS server.

I'm not arguing that he didn't break the EULA. He obviously did. What he didn't do was commit a criminal offense in the manner of a DoS, which is what this happens to be about.

I get the feeling that you're born to troll the fry bin at fast food chains, not low traffic gaming news sites.

47. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 11, 2010, 02:10 Safety Helmet

Flatline wrote on Dec 10, 2010, 21:27:

Wrong.

It's a legally binding contract. While in the US you can't sign away certain rights within a contract, it is legally binding generally speaking. I imagine most countries are similar in nature.

Besides, he's apparently being prosecuted under an existing English law, not the EULA. It's a shaky accusation, because you have to legally prove that a CoD server qualifies as part of the infrastructure of the internet. I'd argue, strongly, that it isn't.

I imagine he won't go to prison, but that they're trying to scare the bejeebus out of him and make him an example.

Heck, the kid should sue Activision for criminal negligence and harassment since he's a minor and their EULA did not specifically say not do to this in terms a 17 year old would comprehend.

Ignorance generally is not a valid legal defense. Besides, that's a civil matter, he's in trouble for a criminal matter.

Actually it's not a legally binding contract. This has been proven as such time and again in court. It may cover some items related to actual laws, but the contract on the whole can contain any verbiage they want. It's an agreement in writing, which just happens to hold more water than an agreement that you shake hands on.

Ignorance is an excellent defense, and offense. Why do you think we have so many obvious signs and warning labels?

Lastly, it's not ignorance that he should claim, it's the fact he's a minor and probably isn't technically "legal" to agree to any kind of contract with a corporate entity.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2010, 02:50.

46. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 11, 2010, 00:17 space captain

word up, son! you got served!  
Go forth, and kill!

45. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 10, 2010, 23:00 CJ_Parker

Safety Helmet wrote on Dec 10, 2010, 20:58:
It didn't disrupt the operations of a commercial online service. For one it's free to play online, for two it wasn't an Activision server.

First of all I'm glad that Flatline already set you straight, son. Secondly, you may want to check if that "safety helmet" of yours isn't constricting the blood flow to those few parts of your brain that might still be functional. You're a funny critter.
The part about it not being a commercial service when actually you have to pay for the game was pretty good already but saying it wasn't an Activision server makes it almost priceless. You do realize that when talking about a "server" that there is a physical component (hardware) and a virtual component (software), right?
And guess what? The CoD server software very much belongs to Activision. As soon as you're launching their EXE and fucking around with it you're at the very least in violation of the EULA and possibly other contractual obligations. And if you're abusing their EXE in ways that include the application of a DoS attack via an external program then we are apparently in criminal act territory under UK law (Computer Misuse Act as the BBC article states) or this arrest wouldn't have taken place. It's that simple really.

44. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 10, 2010, 21:35 Flatline

Safety Helmet wrote on Dec 10, 2010, 20:58:
It didn't disrupt the operations of a commercial online service. For one it's free to play online, for two it wasn't an Activision server.

So wait, I don't have to pay money to play CoD? I get it for free?

And here I thought I had to purchase the game.

I suppose you're going to explain to me how the online component is a completely separate and distinct non-commercial entity, even though it requires a commercial transaction to take place first.

You're starting to sound like a douche dude.

43. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 10, 2010, 21:27 Flatline

Safety Helmet wrote on Dec 10, 2010, 16:19:
A EULA is not a legally binding contract, just as me writing something and you agreeing to it by simply clicking an "Agree" button does not make it law.

Wrong.

It's a legally binding contract. While in the US you can't sign away certain rights within a contract, it is legally binding generally speaking. I imagine most countries are similar in nature.

Besides, he's apparently being prosecuted under an existing English law, not the EULA. It's a shaky accusation, because you have to legally prove that a CoD server qualifies as part of the infrastructure of the internet. I'd argue, strongly, that it isn't.

I imagine he won't go to prison, but that they're trying to scare the bejeebus out of him and make him an example.

Heck, the kid should sue Activision for criminal negligence and harassment since he's a minor and their EULA did not specifically say not do to this in terms a 17 year old would comprehend.

Ignorance generally is not a valid legal defense. Besides, that's a civil matter, he's in trouble for a criminal matter.

42. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 10, 2010, 21:16 Byte

"Still, both describe the alleged offense the same way: the teen evidently used a malicious software he developed called "Phenom Booter" to launch a Denial of Service attack against Activision's servers, keeping a large number of gamers from being able to play. The teen even allegedly offered to sell this program to others through an unnamed forum."  

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo