Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar

Industry analysts Anita Frazier of NPD announces record sales figures for the month of November, as report in this CNET article, where they say the $2.99 billion November 2010 take is up 8 percent from $2.76 billion a year earlier, and about $30 million more than the previous record November in 2008. They break down the figures a bit, and note along the way that Call of Duty: Black Ops sold 8.7 million units in the less than a month following the release of the military shooter sequel, which makes it the seventh best-selling game of all time.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 11, 2010, 11:59 Wowbagger_TIP

Mcboinkens wrote on Dec 10, 2010, 17:34:
Good for you. you only play singleplayer. That's why they have games like Half Life, Crysis, Bioshock, and GTA. What we are debating is why people say we shouldn't buy this game at all. It's different if you don't buy it because it doesn't fit your gaming profile. In other words, it's fine if you don't buy it, but don't insult us because we do.
I don't recall insulting anyone. Maybe you're just overly sensitive.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 11, 2010, 01:58 Jerykk

Tribes wasn't that hard, those rose colored glasses are showing their full effect right now.

You're joking, right? That or you're one of those people who briefly played Tribes when it was first released and thus missed out on pretty much everything that eventually defined Tribes at its peak. Or you played one of many unbalanced mods designed for those who couldn't cope with Tribes' steep learning curve. Please watch the following videos to see examples of the competition new players had to face when they first played Tribes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3IlLAK0B6g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOAaixGw27o&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFWeGnONPu0&feature=related

I can tolerate your misguided enjoyment of CoD but speaking ill of Tribes is heresy.

What we are debating is why people say we shouldn't buy this game at all.

Buying CoD every year promotes franchise milking. You're telling publishers that it's okay to stifle innovation and simply pump out generic sequels on an annual basis. Why take any creative risks when you can just slap "Call of Duty" onto the box and sell 10 million units?

You can talk all you want about the lasting Tribes community, but ultimately it was never very large. If newbs just get toasted most won't stick around.

That's fine with me. A game doesn't need 10 million players in order to foster a dedicated community. I played Tribes for years and never had problems finding a packed server.

I love that in the MW games newbs can get kills. This doesn't mean it isn't a skill game, it just means that being utterly dominant in a round is much harder because you're more fragile. You can still go on a 15 kill streak, but you need to work for it. Back in the Q2/CS days I could go on a 15 kill streak without blinking.

The problem with making games more newb-friendly is that you have to limit their potential depth. The deeper a game is, the more new players will have to learn before they become competent and the greater the advantage veteran players will have. I'm more interested in long-term depth than short-term accessibility.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2010, 02:17.

20. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 10, 2010, 17:34 Mcboinkens

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Dec 10, 2010, 12:02:
Ventura wrote on Dec 10, 2010, 11:03:
Thank you to all you jagoffs who bought this POS and send the message that they can keep charging more for less. I for one choose not to support them!

I don't get it.

Aside from having a single player campaign and decent multiplayer, it's got zombies (the standard, and even a top-down mode), and full offline multiplayer where you can play with bots and earn experience as you would by playing standard multiplayer.

If that's them charging more for less, you're going to have to enlighten me, because from where I'm sitting, that cd is packed full of goodies.
For me it's basically because it's just one scripted scene after another. It's practically a rails shooter. It's boring, frustrating and not even worth finishing.

Good for you. you only play singleplayer. That's why they have games like Half Life, Crysis, Bioshock, and GTA. What we are debating is why people say we shouldn't buy this game at all. It's different if you don't buy it because it doesn't fit your gaming profile. In other words, it's fine if you don't buy it, but don't insult us because we do.

19. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 10, 2010, 12:02 Wowbagger_TIP

Ventura wrote on Dec 10, 2010, 11:03:
Thank you to all you jagoffs who bought this POS and send the message that they can keep charging more for less. I for one choose not to support them!

I don't get it.

Aside from having a single player campaign and decent multiplayer, it's got zombies (the standard, and even a top-down mode), and full offline multiplayer where you can play with bots and earn experience as you would by playing standard multiplayer.

If that's them charging more for less, you're going to have to enlighten me, because from where I'm sitting, that cd is packed full of goodies.
For me it's basically because it's just one scripted scene after another. It's practically a rails shooter. It's boring, frustrating and not even worth finishing.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

18. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 10, 2010, 11:03 Ventura

I don't get it.

17. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 10, 2010, 10:04 Beamer

Even a total newb can join a game and get a few kills.

Any game without this is going to fail.

You can talk all you want about the lasting Tribes community, but ultimately it was never very large. If newbs just get toasted most won't stick around.

I love that in the MW games newbs can get kills. This doesn't mean it isn't a skill game, it just means that being utterly dominant in a round is much harder because you're more fragile. You can still go on a 15 kill streak, but you need to work for it. Back in the Q2/CS days I could go on a 15 kill streak without blinking.

Hell, back in the Q2 days people on my school's network quit whenever I joined because they knew they couldn't kill me. I started having to change my name until I was pulled aside and asked to stop joining random games because I ruined fun.
In MW it's different. Newbs may get destroyed but they still get a few kills to feel good about. It's not always enough (people stopped playing split screen with me until I started faking them killing me), but it'll keep them coming back.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 10, 2010, 10:02 JoeNapalm

Rockn-Roll wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 21:02:
Making an average 10hour long game = $2,000,000/year for 3 years.
Cost of an average game to the end user: $60.
Mowing an average 50ft by 50ft lawn once a week = $10/week for 6 weeks.
Raking leaves on a 50ft by 50ft lawn once a week = $10/week for 6 weeks.

Do the math...games are cheap to the end user. Find some lawns to mow or rake and let those of us that like to work and play do it without sad remarks from the Lazy Lizards.

I know I should ignore the troll, as you all have done so admirably...but WTF does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

By your logic, the average cost of milk is $3.50 a gallon, therefore I should be happy to pay an extra $10,000 for a car.

The issue at hand is COD games costing more than the generally established price point of a game, yet having fewer features. If you regularly pay $10 for a movie ticket, yet a particular new release cost $15 but was only 45 minutes long, you'd probably not be happy.

Or rather, based on your comment, you'd not only be happy, but tell anyone who complained about it to get a job. PT Barnum would have @#$%ing loved you, man.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

15. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 10, 2010, 08:53 Mcboinkens

Jerykk wrote on Dec 10, 2010, 02:35:
Granted, vanilla TF2 was very good, but even that wasn't very different than COD(Small maps, customizable classes, etc).

Last I checked, you can't disguise yourself as enemy players, deploy turrets and health stations or rocket-jump in CoD.

My issue with CoD (and pseudo-realistic military shooters in general), the fundamental combat is just boring. First one to aim at the other wins. Just point and shoot. Even a total newb can join a game and get a few kills. Conversely, games like Tribes are far more involved. For example, in Tribes, you have to consider the following things before making any shot:

- Projectile speed and trajectory.
- Target speed and trajectory.
- Your own speed and trajectory.
- Distance between you and the target.
- The spot where your target will most likely land within the next few seconds (predicting this requires a thorough understanding of the game's physics and traversal mechanics, as players will typically go for steep declines in the terrain so as to gain or maintain momentum).
- The splash radius of your projectile.
- The damage of your projectile.
- Your ping.
- Your target's ping.

And that's just for shooting. Learning how to ski (basic movement in Tribes) well took months. Naturally, the steep learning curve resulted in newbs getting completely destroyed (negative scores were common due to unintentional suicides) but such is the price of deep and challenging gameplay. When compared to Tribes, combat in CoD is just painfully mundane and shallow.

Tribes wasn't that hard, those rose colored glasses are showing their full effect right now. But yeah I mean obviously COD isn't going to have the only few things that make TF2 unique, but it still has its own properties to be cherished. Stating a game is terrible and all of its players are just sheep, and saying the game isn't for you are two completely different opinions.

14. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 10, 2010, 07:47 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 22:02:
While I don't quite understand why it took you so long to realize that CoD is extremely stale, I do respect that you eventually came around. I suspect the masses will eventually reach the same point, though it may take a few more years. There can only be so many generic pseudo-realistic military shooters before people start getting bored... right?

Well Modern Warfare, the original, was a fucking awesome game. I know some people who just dislike the scripted FPS formula in total will say that one sucked too, but I loved Modern Warfare. You still felt in control and the storyline was good, the feel of being a real SAS dude was unmatched outside of tactical sims.

Modern Warfare 2 was terrible though, singleplayer-wise. It lost all the magic. I bought Black Ops despite this because it was a fresh idea and I thought because it was "Black Ops" the missions might be more sneaky and feel different. It's just Modern Warfare 3 though, and with even worse scripting and plotting, so I'm done.

13. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 10, 2010, 02:35 Jerykk

Granted, vanilla TF2 was very good, but even that wasn't very different than COD(Small maps, customizable classes, etc).

Last I checked, you can't disguise yourself as enemy players, deploy turrets and health stations or rocket-jump in CoD.

My issue with CoD (and pseudo-realistic military shooters in general), the fundamental combat is just boring. First one to aim at the other wins. Just point and shoot. Even a total newb can join a game and get a few kills. Conversely, games like Tribes are far more involved. For example, in Tribes, you have to consider the following things before making any shot:

- Projectile speed and trajectory.
- Target speed and trajectory.
- Your own speed and trajectory.
- Distance between you and the target.
- The spot where your target will most likely land within the next few seconds (predicting this requires a thorough understanding of the game's physics and traversal mechanics, as players will typically go for steep declines in the terrain so as to gain or maintain momentum).
- The splash radius of your projectile.
- The damage of your projectile.
- Your ping.
- Your target's ping.

And that's just for shooting. Learning how to ski (basic movement in Tribes) well took months. Naturally, the steep learning curve resulted in newbs getting completely destroyed (negative scores were common due to unintentional suicides) but such is the price of deep and challenging gameplay. When compared to Tribes, combat in CoD is just painfully mundane and shallow.

12. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 10, 2010, 01:18 Mcboinkens

Are these game sales figures PC only? I'm assuming it includes consoles. If that is that case, you guys can hop off the hate train for COD. It's one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played. It's no Counter Strike: Source remake but it is still really fun. I don't understand how people can hate on Black Ops, which is the essential run and gun, stealth tactic or camp multiplayer that everyone likes, while still having a hardon for TF2, which to me has become probably the biggest joke of a game I have ever seen. Granted, vanilla TF2 was very good, but even that wasn't very different than COD(Small maps, customizable classes, etc). The only way I could see not enjoying this multiplayer was if I played by myself. If you are doing that, find a friend to play splitscreen with(consoles), or join a clan or ask around. I'm sure you'll find people who play. Do one in the chamber with them, sticks and stones, demolition. It can be intense, exciting or even funny. My friends and I have spent hours just watching each others clips in theater.

But everyone likes their own brand I suppose.

11. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 10, 2010, 01:12 Charlie_Six

It's a fun game but feels like a very expensive map pack.  
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

10. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 10, 2010, 00:57 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Dec 10, 2010, 00:23:
You'd think but then look at all the shit they call "reality tv" that just seems to ever keep increasing. No, most people are stupid and easily amused.

I thought "reality" TV was on finally on the decline.

9. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 10, 2010, 00:23 Cutter

Jerykk wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 22:02:
While I don't quite understand why it took you so long to realize that CoD is extremely stale, I do respect that you eventually came around. I suspect the masses will eventually reach the same point, though it may take a few more years. There can only be so many generic pseudo-realistic military shooters before people start getting bored... right?

You'd think but then look at all the shit they call "reality tv" that just seems to ever keep increasing. No, most people are stupid and easily amused.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 9, 2010, 22:43 Bumpy

Well in all irony, if memory serves, the next CoD is suppose to have a more futuristic theme.

If there are amazing laser/energy weapons and crazy high tech cloak tanks and imaginative sh@t, it might be the first CoD I ever play and buy.

7. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 9, 2010, 22:40 aeonos

Just hoping that EA won't kill the Battlefield brand, all the while trying to topple CoD and 'make a better game'.

http://allgamelinks.com/

6. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 9, 2010, 22:02 Jerykk

StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 21:46:
Bumpy wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 20:56:
Cutter wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 20:24:

How long will it take before the masses get tired of this recycled CoD junk, jeez. At least buy it when its $20 or less people.

As someone who buys these games every year based mostly on old successes I can tell you that Black Ops was the last straw for me I think. It was oh so very tired on the gameplay front and even more restricted and scripted than before. Unless the next installment is something seriously different I won't be buying it right away.

Who knows about the masses though.

5. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 9, 2010, 21:46 StingingVelvet

Bumpy wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 20:56:
Cutter wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 20:24:

How long will it take before the masses get tired of this recycled CoD junk, jeez. At least buy it when its $20 or less people.

As someone who buys these games every year based mostly on old successes I can tell you that Black Ops was the last straw for me I think. It was oh so very tired on the gameplay front and even more restricted and scripted than before. Unless the next installment is something seriously different I won't be buying it right away.

Who knows about the masses though.

4. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 9, 2010, 21:07 ASeven

2 months in a row where software sales have been going up. Hasn't happened in almost 2 years. If the industry can keep this for 4 more months and I will have to retract my words that the industry is coming down. However, truth be told, the software sales were helped tremendously by CoD:BO.  

3. Re: November Game Sales and Black Ops Soar Dec 9, 2010, 21:02 Rockn-Roll

Making an average 10hour long game = $2,000,000/year for 3 years.
Cost of an average game to the end user: $60.
Mowing an average 50ft by 50ft lawn once a week = $10/week for 6 weeks.
Raking leaves on a 50ft by 50ft lawn once a week = $10/week for 6 weeks.

Do the math...games are cheap to the end user. Find some lawns to mow or rake and let those of us that like to work and play do it without sad remarks from the Lazy Lizards.

Let's Rock!

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo