Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Civilization V Pack Next Week

2K Games reveals plans to release a Spain and Inca double civilization and scenario pack for Civilization V on December 16, adding Queen Isabella and Spain and Pachacuti and the Incas to the turn-based strategy sequel for $7.49 USD. Here's a description of the included scenario: "The year is 1492. To the courts of England, France, and Spain come intrepid explorers, anxious to voyage across the Atlantic in search of a western route to China and the Indies. Will they find a new trade route and uncover untold riches from the Asian shores? Or will they perhaps run aground on undiscovered lands along their way? Will native populations be receptive to the knowledge and trade prospects presented to them, or will they fight against the invaders of their homeland? What riches, fame, and opportunities await those who brave the unknown waters? What path will you choose? Who will prevail in the struggle for supremacy over this New World?"

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 10, 2010, 09:18 Beamer

Am I the only one that never played any of the scenarios in any civ game?

I never do, either. Nor did I do them in the SimCities, although I at least tried them once or twice there. Never have in the Civs.

I never have either. I usually make a huge map with huge numbers of AI and just see what happens. Usually I take over whatever continent I am on and then try to win diplomatically from there.

I'm similar, although I never really do huge landmasses. Typically I'll do small landmasses, although now that I have BtS I'll sometimes cram an enormous amount of AI players into that landmass. Sometimes contienents, but I despise the water game so usually plains, inland sea, etc. And I'll start rapidly expanding, turn very aggressive when I get swordsman (assuming I didn't expand too rapidly to actually sustain), try to conquer at least one civ, then bunker down and try to win either diplomatically (which I have not done on higher levels) or the space race.

I've learned this works poorly for Tiny landmasses with tons of AI. Inevitably I'll piss one of them off for no good reason and have them trounce me when I'm still recovering from over-expanding (which I feel obligated to do since space is so limited. Obviously being strong and small is smarter here, but it's against my instincts.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 10, 2010, 07:50 StingingVelvet

Pete wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 22:51:

I never have either. I usually make a huge map with huge numbers of AI and just see what happens. Usually I take over whatever continent I am on and then try to win diplomatically from there.

Civ5's AI made this too easy because the enemy AI never attacked over water. Maybe this is fixed now, I haven't been paying attention.

25. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 10, 2010, 01:01 Sepharo

I've never played a single scenario either. I tend to just pick the biggest map and put the most AI on it (which is the worst way to play Civ5 apparently).

This is also the first Civ I've done any MP on as well.

24. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 9, 2010, 22:51 Pete

Doin' it Big

23. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 9, 2010, 20:06 skyguy

Kosumo wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 20:02:
For us no US Bluesnews user, now many nickel and dimes is $7.49?

75 dimes or 150 nickels.

You get a penny in change though!

22. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 9, 2010, 20:02 Kosumo

For us no US Bluesnews user, now many nickel and dimes is $7.49?  

21. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 9, 2010, 19:21 Blackhawk

Nickel.

Dime.

Nickel nickel nickel dime nickel.

20. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 9, 2010, 18:12 Spektr

Civ5 has its good sides. I like how the one unit per square frees the player from the obligation of building huge armies. it makes combat a more viable option than in previous games as it doesnt take ages to build an army and to conquer an enemy city. The game kinda punishes the player for over expanding its empire though. A one-unit-per-square mod for civ4 could kill Civ5. the hexagonal thingie is really nothing to write home about though. As for not including the Spanish in the main game. I can't take a civ game without them seriously.(even though they werent in Civ4 either ): the first civilization to travel around the world. Discoverers and destroyers of civilizations... of a major continent... sure the songhai looks good.. but I have to admit I had never heard of them before that game  

19. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 9, 2010, 17:44 Tumbler

And I'm assuming that these new races will remain unplayable online? All the "extra" races at this point have been only useable in SP.

A great new feature of doing things this way. Love that you lose the ability to use these races in MP. That is something I totally feel like paying for.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

18. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 9, 2010, 17:39 Paketep

ASeven wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 17:08:
I'm sticking with CivIV and its two expansions, best Civ game yet. Civ V is, for me, a disappointment, perhaps the biggest one of this year.

Civ V has also been a big disappointment for me, and the fact that it was buggy as hell (yeah, I know, Civ 4 was the same), and that it came without PBEM makes me think they really don't know the community.

It's hard to put buggy, few-features-and-few-civs Civ V with its shitty DLC against polished-by-years Civ IV and its numerous quality mods. Firaxis didn't help Civ V in the least.

17. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 9, 2010, 17:22 StingingVelvet

I quite like Civ5, not sure why people hate on it other than the obvious AI issues. It's different from Civ4 with different concentrations and priorities, but it should be.

Not sure if the AI issued have been sorted as I haven't played it for a couple patches now.

16. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 9, 2010, 17:08 ASeven

Micro DLC for Civ, never thought I would see the sad day it would happen...

I'm sticking with CivIV and its two expansions, best Civ game yet. Civ V is, for me, a disappointment, perhaps the biggest one of this year.

15. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 9, 2010, 16:52 Beamer

But it seems like they're just looking for more money from those same people that bought into it at the beginning. It's like they have no confidence in the original product, now it's this new thing. No one would ever buy that old thing, this new thing is what we have now and we have to SELL SELL SELL!

Well, it is about that to an extent. It gives a product more legs. When DLC gets released people start talking about the game again, and playing it again giving more people on servers. It all leads to people that forgot to buy it the first time getting intrigued and picking it up. To that extent it's good for everyone, not just publishers, as it gives more of an install base and keeps people around longer so there's more of a community.

It's sad. As a customer who bought Civ V it's insulting to see them try and sell me stupid shit like this for $7. Oh you like Civ? How about this for $7? How about a T-Shirt? You wanna t-shirt? $5. Come on...gimme some more money. When you bring something so pathetic to the table it's almost like your begging for money.

This perception is a huge problem. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, just that it's a problem. If your customers feel nickeled-and-dimed you're screwed. Even if this $7 purchase represents 33% of Beyond the Sword for 25% the price, creating a better deal for players, they feel nickeled and dimed. Lord knows I do. Plus it diminishes the value of the product. What would you rather get - 2 ounces of water ever hour or an 8 ounce glass every 8? The bigger glass feels like it has more substance to it even if it doesn't actually.

Fuck you. I already paid you $40. (or whatever you paid) So now you're going to come ask for more?

They always do. They always will. It's a question of how they do it. I thought Beyond the Sword was pretty good, Warlords pretty bad (I think, maybe I don't know which one is which.) I liked new gameplay mechanics, liked new civs, have never played scenarios so I have no clue if I like them, but... I don't feel like I'd pay $7.50 for two new civs. Can't explain why boxing 6 new Civs for $25 feels different.

Lastly, DLC tends to stay the same price. Expansions fall in price like other retail games. When I finally got BtS and Warlords I got them with Civ4 (which I already owned) for $9.99. I guess it was years later, but DLC seems to not decrease in value as quickly.

-------------

14. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 9, 2010, 16:43 Halo

DLC is like a stray cat, you feed it once and it's just going to keep coming back for more.  

13. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 9, 2010, 16:41 Tumbler

I really prefer getting a ton of new content at once rather than little bits of content piecemeal. Even if I get less and pay more...

With digital distribution locking ownership to one user now the fact that they still want to charge for DLC shows the true colors of developers/publishers in my opinion. Game updates and additional content like this are a great way to give people an incentive to buy the core product. Buy the game, you get all this extra stuff too!

But it seems like they're just looking for more money from those same people that bought into it at the beginning. It's like they have no confidence in the original product, now it's this new thing. No one would ever buy that old thing, this new thing is what we have now and we have to SELL SELL SELL!

It's sad. As a customer who bought Civ V it's insulting to see them try and sell me stupid shit like this for $7. Oh you like Civ? How about this for $7? How about a T-Shirt? You wanna t-shirt? $5. Come on...gimme some more money. When you bring something so pathetic to the table it's almost like your begging for money.

Fuck you. I already paid you $40. (or whatever you paid) So now you're going to come ask for more?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

12. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 9, 2010, 16:12 Beamer

Still playing lots of CivIV, still no interest in moving on.

DLC doesn't help. I really prefer getting a ton of new content at once rather than little bits of content piecemeal. Even if I get less and pay more...

-------------

11. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 9, 2010, 16:10 gradbot

Shok wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 16:06:
I'm not buying any DLC until they patch the AI problems in this game.

10. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 9, 2010, 16:06 Shok

I'm not buying any DLC until they patch the AI problems in this game.  

9. Re: Civilization V Pack Next Week Dec 9, 2010, 16:01 StingingVelvet

Civ fits the DLC model pretty well really. The expansions were always a batch of new smaller things bundled together. They're selling new Civs now and hopefully someday will sell other things like spies or religion.

I'm sure at the end of it they will release a massive collected edition for those who don't want to buy it all piecemeal.

8. Re: Civilization IV? Dec 9, 2010, 15:45 Paketep

DG wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 14:23:
Spektr wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 14:13:
I think I will pass on the DLCs and wait till they are collected into a proper add-on. This price is prohibitive.
Ditto, though I doubt I'll even get the package until that's on sale.

Also true, and probable. Just with the Steam Sales anyone can get enough material to play for a couple of years, if you don't NEED to play the latest immediately. After those two years, another batch of games will be on sale, and so on...

DG wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 14:26:
Paketep wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 14:19:
Wasn't Borderlands the one that they sold some kind of definitive edition and THEN announced that yet another DLC was in the works?.

Borderlands GOTY has all 4 DLC, though it's not on the disk, you have to download.

Damn. I can't remember then which one it was, but it definitely was the final straw for me with DLC sales.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo