Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No PC Dead Space 2 Demo

EA announces Dead Space 2 demo plans, which exclude the PC at this point, as word is to expect a demo of the action/horror sequel on the Xbox LIVE Marketplace and the PlayStation Network on December 21 except for the European PS3 edition, which will be released on December 22. The full game will be coming to Windows along with consoles on January 25, but there's no word on why there will be no demo for PCs.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 14:02 Ant

Verno wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 13:26:
Oh, I just meant if people aren't used to tweaking PC games by now then I'm not sure they are meant for the PC market is all. I think we're talking about the same idea. Things have improved drastically, god forbid someone have to change a single setting outside of the game

In any event, tweaking an ini file for Dead Space is about as "who cares" as I can think of. I did a HELL of a lot more to get many classic games running 10 years ago.

Exactly. Remember playing with autoexec.bat and config.sys? Soundblaster emulation and all that too. Sheesh, we have it easy these days. The only game I can remember from recent history that was annoying to tweak was Borderlands simply due to the volume of PC-specific tweaks required. Some kind soul eventually made a little program to automate that though.
Yep, I was there. Conventional memory, EMS, XMS, playing in pure DOS boot, etc. Then, came DOS4GW.exe for games like DOOM, etc.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 13:26 Verno

Oh, I just meant if people aren't used to tweaking PC games by now then I'm not sure they are meant for the PC market is all. I think we're talking about the same idea. Things have improved drastically, god forbid someone have to change a single setting outside of the game

In any event, tweaking an ini file for Dead Space is about as "who cares" as I can think of. I did a HELL of a lot more to get many classic games running 10 years ago.

Exactly. Remember playing with autoexec.bat and config.sys? Soundblaster emulation and all that too. Sheesh, we have it easy these days. The only game I can remember from recent history that was annoying to tweak was Borderlands simply due to the volume of PC-specific tweaks required. Some kind soul eventually made a little program to automate that though.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

45. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 12:36 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 11:25:
StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 11:03:
necrosis wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 10:39:
Workarounds that should in no way be necessary. Because if this it is on a long list of shitty console ports.

And yet for 20 years now PC gamers have had to tweak, patch or circumvent the DRM of countless PC games to get them to work right, even bonafide classics.

No, Dead Space should not require a few easy tweaks to work right, but that doesn't make it a piece of trash any more than Fallout 2, Crysis or Oblivion were.

Heck forget DRM even, I've spent ages tweaking games period. Changing settings files and stuff used to be par for the course. If anything it's far easier these days.

I meant for circumventing DRM to be it's own thing, and for tweaking and patching to be seperate and on their own. I can see it reads wrong now though.

44. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 11:25 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 11:03:
Workarounds that should in no way be necessary. Because if this it is on a long list of shitty console ports.

And yet for 20 years now PC gamers have had to tweak, patch or circumvent the DRM of countless PC games to get them to work right, even bonafide classics.

No, Dead Space should not require a few easy tweaks to work right, but that doesn't make it a piece of trash any more than Fallout 2, Crysis or Oblivion were.

Heck forget DRM even, I've spent ages tweaking games period. Changing settings files and stuff used to be par for the course. If anything it's far easier these days.

43. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 11:13 Beamer

When I pay for something, it's supposed to work.

There are varying definitions of "work." That's the problem people have with PCs. Just because it doesn't work the way you want doesn't mean it doesn't work. Arguably. You don't define what didn't work for you, just said it was "borked." Was it too slow? That doesn't mean it doesn't work. Couldn't remap? That doesn't mean it doesn't work.

But again, if something doesn't work, odds are it isn't specific to you and dozens of people are complaining. At that point it's your own fault for buying something that you knew had a problem that you wouldn't like. Again, these things aren't hard to avoid.
What is hard to avoid are PC specific issues. That will never, ever change (unless PCs get standardized like consoles, which would ruin the fun), that's something you can't expect games to be able to avoid, but in fairness that's something you should get a refund for.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

42. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 11:12 Ant

No PC/Windows demo? No buy for me. I need a playable sampler on my computer.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

41. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 11:03 StingingVelvet

40. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 10:50 Bumpy

You Elitist are slacking. As I previously mentions, besides the obvious mouse issues, 2 other problems were lack of true AA and inability to remap keys.  

39. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 10:39 necrosis

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 10:35:
Hihi, epic.

I agree wholeheartedly. Dead Space is a solid, fun and at some points even extremely fucking startling scary game.

Workaround:
1. Turn off Vsync ingame. Still issues?;
2. Force Vsync on (or was it off? Can't remember) in your drivers. ATI drivers?;
3. Download d3doverrider.exe and do step 2 with that 3rd party thingy.

38. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 10:35 Eldaron Imotholin

InBlack wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 10:27:
All this coming from a terrible, horrible PC Elitist who hates all things console and....stuff...

Hihi, epic.

I agree wholeheartedly. Dead Space is a solid, fun and at some points even extremely fucking startling scary game.

Workaround:
1. Turn off Vsync ingame. Still issues?;
2. Force Vsync on (or was it off? Can't remember) in your drivers. ATI drivers?;
3. Download d3doverrider.exe and do step 2 with that 3rd party thingy.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

37. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 10:27 InBlack

Ive had to deal with technical issues in PC Games ever since picking up this hobby....if thats what you can call it...

vsync off solved every issue for me in Dead Space. Pretty simple tweak. I remember what a hassle it was getting Doom2 to run on my brand new spanking 486DX33 with 4MB of RAM (WOOOOWW!!!). Had to modify Config.sys and autexec.bat and shit, not to mention the hassle of getting the soundcard working....

In any case, I give credit where credit is due. Dead Space was a solid game that was fun to play even though it had some problems...

All this coming from a terrible, horrible PC Elitist who hates all things console and....stuff...

I have a nifty blue line!

36. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 10:02 Verno

There's a common issue with having other input devices plugged in(MCE remotes, certain game controllers, etc) while loading up some games which improperly implement a function to hook DX controllers. Fallout 3 and NV have the same bug. It's unfortunate but there is a workaround (unplugging them entirely). I can understand if that is unacceptable to some people though.

Personally I found DS1 to be a pretty solid port overall, I only had to change a vsync related setting and it was good to go.

When I pay for something, it's supposed to work. Or at least, they should have made a patch to fix their broken code. They didn't. My money was the only thing they wanted, a happy customer was not on the list. Consequently, I won't be a customer for the sequel.

That's fair I guess. As a consumer you're certainly entitled to that expectation and there's nothing wrong with it. Unfortunately the reality is that the PC is not a plug and play type gaming platform like the consoles are. If you want that kind of functionality and 100% working rate accessibility then your options are basically consoles because even the best games have issues unfortunately. I wish I could say differently but that's just the reality of the platform, particularly when publishers don't take additional steps to properly port the game.

35. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 09:41 Agrikaan

I bet you assume most people are idiots (can't blame you though, they are, your reply being further proof of it). I searched, tweaked, edited, just like I wrote. It still didn't work enough to be playable. Even after unplugging other input devices (which is what caused most of the problems)

When I pay for something, it's supposed to work. Or at least, they should have made a patch to fix their broken code. They didn't. My money was the only thing they wanted, a happy customer was not on the list. Consequently, I won't be a customer for the sequel.

34. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 09:37 Beamer

Like I said earlier, the one issue DS had with the controls has a workaround that's not hard to apply.

Yeah, but you don't need to own the game to know that
a) there's a problem
b) there's an easy fix

I just don't get how so many people on this board get repeatedly burned. I guess it makes sense that the angriest here get burned the most, but it's like battered wife syndrome - rather than get smarter they just keep buying games without even attempting to figure out if they have issues, then complaining when they do. Several of the reviews of DS mention the issue. The amazon customer reviews mention the issue. Every DS topic this board has had mentions the issue.

Actually, I shouldn't even assume they're buying the games, I guess. "Acquiring" is probably more like it. No one consistently buys bad products.

-------------

33. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 09:33 Jerykk

spindoctor wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 02:59:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 01:16:
If they read the threads about Dragon Age, Amnesia, Starcraft 2, etc, they'd learn that designing a game for the PC goes a long way in making PC gamers happy. It's not exactly rocket science.

Oh my, this is rich. I think you should go back and read some of those threads and refresh your memory. Remember the one about Dragon Age trailer even before it released? The one where they chose to show off the combat with the music "This is the new shit"? Wasn't that the one where some Bioware employee had to step in to clarify things? Or was that for how Mass Effect 2 was 'consolized' and the RPG element was removed? How about the drama involving the DLC which was 'cut out' from the game? How about the Starcraft ones where they 'wasted 10 years remaking the same game with no innovation and how they are selling you one third of the game at full price'. I could go on and on and on...

Pleasing the crybabies/whiners/elitists/PC gamers is not only harder than rocket science, it is basically impossible and more to the point, it's an absolute waste of time to even try.

The complaints about Dragon Age's marketing campaign were well-deserved. The marketing campaign was crap and poorly represented the game. Once the game was released and people played it, its reception here was mostly positive. Far more positive than its reception on console forums, I suspect, given the drastic changes they're making to DA2.

Mass Effect 2 was designed for Xbox, not PC, so I don't really see why you're even bringing it up. That said, in terms of RPG elements, ME2 was unquestionably dumbed down compared to ME1. There were fewer stats, combat relied more on player skill than stats, there was no inventory system, anybody could hack or use persuasion, etc. This isn't an opinion, it's fact and it's true of the game on both X360 and PC.

There were complaints about SC2's separate protoss and zerg campaigns, which isn't a criticism of the game itself but rather of the marketing strategy. It is not an unreasonable complaint, given that the original SC2 had all three campaigns in one game. However, once released, those here who played SC2 enjoyed it nevertheless.

32. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 09:27 aeonos

All original DS gripes aside, at the end of the day unless its a massive PC franchise and brand, with the right dev team, budget, and risk - its just so much safer and easer (profitable) to produce console versions of the game and milk it with DLCs and packs. No PC demo? Big deal - look at the "port" for NFS or just how many EA games or franchises do not have PC games at this point period. Folks are acting like this is some new trend from EA; more of the same fellas.

http://allgamelinks.com/

31. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 09:02 Eldaron Imotholin

Like I said earlier, the one issue DS had with the controls has a workaround that's not hard to apply.

Sure, it sucks you as a gamer had to tinker a bit for the game to work properly while that's the devs' job.. but I'd think that's a bane you're willing to accept as a PC gamer. I personally find such complains holding little weight.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

30. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 08:29 Beamer

There are numerous people here complaining about DS1 not working.

How did this happen?
How did most of you not just, you know, wait for someone else here to buy the game and say "the controls don't work it. Avoid."

I never buy a game without getting some word of mouth input, at least not until it hits impulse buy pricing. But so many people here seem suckered time and time again, complaining about the same things to each other. It seems like the simple solution is not buy it until someone else vouches for it.

How many of you were planning to even download a DS2 demo if one was released? I mean, hell, someone was complaining that he would never buy the game without a demo because he wouldn't know if he could remap keys, something that it seems that could be solved by going into the Shipping thread Blue will eventually create and saying "hey, those of you that have this, can I remap my keys?"

I'm not excusing any company for a screw up here, I'm just shocked at how bad some of you seem at avoiding these buying these screw ups.

-------------

29. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 08:08 ASeven

Dades wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 07:16:
spindoctor wrote on Dec 8, 2010, 23:27:
BurntSoul wrote on Dec 8, 2010, 21:37:
3. They wouldn't even think to read this forum to get an atom of an idea of how to make their PC customers happy.

If they ever read this forum (and the sample of PC gamers represented here), they would walk away convinced beyond any measure of doubt that there is absolutely no way to make PC customers happy and that they shouldn't even bother. Which leads me to believe that they just might have read this place after all

And yet you stick around despite how horrible this place is apparently. I'm not sure what's worse, whining about the whiners or the transparency of trying to shut down opinions you don't agree with by giving fake commentary on the state of the forums.

Took the words out of my mouth. An hypocrite all the way is what he is.

28. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 07:32 StingingVelvet

Agrikaan wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 04:57:
I have no interest in BUYING this product for PC. I bought and paid full price for the DS1, and it didn't work, controls were completely boorked. And with me tinkering and editing INI files, I managed to get the control to just very very bad. Unplayable.

I'd bet you a simple google search would have fixed whatever problem you had. Game worked fine for me after some minor tweaks.

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo