Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Mobilization

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 8, 2010, 10:37 JoeNapalm

As Twain liked to say...lies, damn lies, and statistics.

The article cites that more people who have dedicated gaming devices also play games on their smartphones.

Not exactly a revelation.

The article goes on to say that people are playing their DS/PSP less, and some people who own a DS/PSP don't play them at all...

Which makes sense - but it doesn't mean that it's because of smartphones. Correlation /= causation.

I mean, Hell, I fall into the category of someone who owns a PSP, no longer plays games on it, and "plays games on a smartphone" (which is to say I play about 10 minutes of Sudoku in an airport now and then).

The fact that I play some crappy free game on my smartphone has absolutely nothing to do with the PSP. Heck, it probably has more to do with the fact that the luggage pocket I used to put my PSP in, I now stuff with a Kindle.

Prob & Stat, along with logic, should be a required course in High School and/or College. Too many people fall for the old "If A = B, then C!" non-sequitur trick.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 8, 2010, 08:19 avianflu

+1 to comments 1 and 2.

smartphone games are at best simplified games worth 2 bucks, and at worst shovelware worth nothing.

2. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 8, 2010, 00:36 WyldKat

All the games on my phones are pretty much crap. In fact all of the top selling iPhone and Android games would be considered shovelware crap on real handhelds.

Gamers aren't abandoning their PSPs and DSs for smartphones. They already have smartphones and are awaiting the 3DS and PSP2.

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 7, 2010, 23:36 Cram

"Gamers Abandoning DS, PSP In Favor of Smartphones"

I am not one of them, and have no intention of becoming one. Bring on more dedicated handheld gaming machines please. Touchscreen only games...sigh. Angry Birds was a nice diversion with a nice hook, but that's it. Haven't played anything else on my GalaxyS since. While iPhone has a few more games over the Android, they're all fairly basic, low production value, diversions for people that easily go "oh! shiny! swipe my finger to win!" and not worth abandoning dedicated handhelds in any way shape or form.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2010, 23:44.

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo