Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today is the 69th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor that drew the U.S. into World War II. Chris Berman noted the anniversary during last night's Monday Night Football game which seemed a little odd, as he made the comment during the Toyota Halftime Show. I wonder how the sponsors felt about that, but I guess it was in keeping with FDR calling this "a date which will live in infamy."

Infamous Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Super Mario BP Oil Spill.
Magnetic Rush.
Knights and Kastles.
Links: Black Milk Threepio. #1 among imaginary girlfriends. Thanks Devicer.
12 Most Awesomely Great Gifts For The Sex Obsessed Man.
Stories: Be on the lookout for Captain Awesome.
Snow forces eight-day lock-in at Kirkbymoorside pub. Thanks Neatorama.
You Can't Mail Tarantulas from Germany to L.A. For future reference. Thanks Devicer.
PaperCraft Gauss Rifle.
Psychonauts Birthday Party.
When I grow up...
Media: How To Pull Out A Tooth With A Rocket. Thanks WarPig.
The Funnies: Nerf Now: Attack of the Nerds.
Rare Bill Watterson Art. Thanks Neatorama.
Follow-up: "Alien" Prequel Delayed A Year.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2010, 06:28 InBlack

Its pretty amazing (and depressing too) that every single day in the calendar is an aniversary for some catastrophic event or some kind of military massacre/battle/victory/defeat....

Im sure that many good things happened on all of these days too, but we seem to favour remembering the bad and nasty shit...

Maybe thats a good thing though, after all we learn best from our mistakes...

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2010, 23:19 Verno

bjack wrote on Dec 7, 2010, 23:17:
You are probably much better off not eating cereal or any other carbs. You won't spike your blood sugar and get that crash feeling.

I think it depends on how active you are and in what cycles of the day but generally speaking I think you're right. If you do any physical activities in the morning then you need carbs for fuel. Most people are probably better off front loading protein and fibre in the morning.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2010, 23:17 bjack

You are probably much better off not eating cereal or any other carbs. You won't spike your blood sugar and get that crash feeling.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2010, 23:15 Verno

banddirector wrote on Dec 7, 2010, 16:06:
PHJF wrote on Dec 7, 2010, 15:36:
I like the concept of breakfast but eating is simply the LAST THING I want to do after I wake up and get ready for work.

I've never understood *not* eating before starting the day. Didn't your primary school teachers drill this into your head as a child?

It has a tremendous effect on your metabolism too. Ideally the average male should be eating 3-5 meals a day, sizes varying depending on the number. Not eating when you wake up tends to make you eat later in your day and people typically aren't very active then. It's pretty much a sure ticket to being a fattie. Breakfast is the best time to pig out so no reason not to enjoy it for that matter either. I was the same way when I was young but these days nothing hits the spot first in the morning like a toasted bagel, 2 scrambled eggs and a strawberry smoothie

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

13. FYI: interactive Pearl Harbor timeline @ NatGeo Dec 7, 2010, 19:11 Elvis

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/pearlharbor/ax/frameset.html

careful, it seems to want to hijack your browser's window size; nonetheless, very well done hour-to-hour (and sometimes minute-to-minute) account of that day.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2010, 18:42 GinRummy

At least it wasn't quite as direct as it could be, like "The Pearl Harbor anniversary, brought to you by Mitsubishi."  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2010, 17:33 PHJF

I've tried forcing down some cereal before heading out, but that just makes me super hungry a short while later. I find it best to just wait until lunch.

My stomach just... doesn't want food after waking up.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2010, 17:30 Sepharo

I get to work at 8:15 and we eat lunch at 11:00.

I've never been hungry enough to eat when I wake up at 7:30 and definetly wouldn't be hungry again 3 hours later.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2010, 16:27 space captain

been living on one meal a day for about 17 years now  
Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2010, 16:22 xXBatmanXx

I like the concept of breakfast but eating is simply the LAST THING I want to do after I wake up and get ready for work.

WHA!? Bfast is what I get up for. Anytime I miss food in the AM I feel "off" until I am able to eat. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2010, 16:06 banddirector

PHJF wrote on Dec 7, 2010, 15:36:

I've never understood *not* eating before starting the day. Didn't your primary school teachers drill this into your head as a child?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2010, 15:36 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2010, 14:44 Hoop

This morning marks my second week without coffee. The temptation & physical withdrawal has not been too difficult, however the emotional hit the brain takes kind of ambushed me. Im not one who is prone to depression & would consider myself an optimist so the mild depression off & on would be the hardest thing.
Im now eating breakfast which I never did, thats really improved my start to the day, more collected under pressure or stress situations with more energy by days end.
I honestly feel as proud as if I had just kicked smoking to the curb, free of a controlling substance I abused ...... brothers & sisters ..... free at last.

Ps
Peppermint tea bags are the best.

Um .. Behind you...

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2010, 12:41  Blue 

Capella wrote on Dec 7, 2010, 12:23:
It was a somber half time show for sure with that and the tribute to Don Meredith. Back in the day I was always looking forward to Monday nights no matter who was playing.

RIP Don.

Agreed, Don was awesome. I lived for him trying to get under Howard's skin.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2010, 12:23 Capella

It was a somber half time show for sure with that and the tribute to Don Meredith. Back in the day I was always looking forward to Monday nights no matter who was playing.

RIP Don.

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2010, 11:39 Kxmode

69th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor that drew the U.S. into World War II. Chris Berman noted the anniversary during last night's Monday Night Football game which seemed a little odd, as he made the comment during the Toyota Halftime Show.

I love irony. Smitten

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2010, 11:23 JoeNapalm

That Airedale looks like a tiny version of the one my family used to have...

...though we never tried to dress him up like Godzilla.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo