Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Stuff

The World of Warcraft: Cataclysm expansion is slated to go on sale tomorrow, with sales beginning in some places as early as 12:01 am. There's a World of Warcraft Then and Now feature on GameSpot with a look at how the cataclysmic expansion will impact the virtual world of Azeroth, offering a World Reborn Trailer, a Gear Up for Cataclysm Trailer, and a Then and Now Flight Comparison. There's a Road to Cataclysm Interview with Greg Street on Games On Net discussing the new add-on. A report on GamesIndustry.biz (registration required) says that some GameStop stores in Sweden sold copies Cataclysm over the weekend, breaking an international sales embargo, though an embargo on an MMOG expansion that can't be played until the servers are updated seems fairly pointless. Also IncGamers reports that Microsoft Retail is holding a Cataclysm launch event at almost 15 percent of their locations, which is the one at Oak Brook, IL. Blizzplanet has details on World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Holiday 2010 T-Shirts. There's an unboxing the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Collector's Edition unboxing article on Ars. Finally, WoW Marathon is planning a charity event looking to create the first level 85 character (thanks Ant via IncGamers).

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Stuff Dec 8, 2010, 10:39 Eldaron Imotholin

But you cant use the x-realm dungeon finder for raids, right? I think thats why high pop realms are better for raid pugging. But yeah, the login queues suck.  

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Stuff Dec 8, 2010, 09:53 Verno

The new dungeon finder is cross-realm so you don't have to worry about availability for pugs I would imagine. Personally I think low pop realms are better since you get a stronger sense of community and no queues.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

51. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Stuff Dec 8, 2010, 05:08 Eldaron Imotholin

Alamar wrote on Dec 7, 2010, 20:21:
Area 52 Horde... Send a mail to Alamar : )

However, it's high pop, so we pug progress lots (good), but queue times, especially today, are massive (bad)...

-Alamar

Makes me doubt there's even room for accounts making chars on that server. ^^

High pop realms do have benefits though. Low prices in AH and good PuGs indeed.

Meh it'll depend on certain friends of mine what decision I'll make. If they go back, I'll go back. Can't get that goblin hunter idea out of my damn head..

50. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Stuff Dec 7, 2010, 20:21 Alamar

Area 52 Horde... Send a mail to Alamar : )

However, it's high pop, so we pug progress lots (good), but queue times, especially today, are massive (bad)...

-Alamar

49. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Stuff Dec 7, 2010, 17:42 Eldaron Imotholin

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 7, 2010, 11:28:
Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 7, 2010, 09:32:
Sooo.. how is it? What do you feel other than the "too little too late" feeling I had when I was walking around destroyed Azeroth? How special do you feel as one of the hundreds of worgen/goblins running around? And where do lvl 80s quest to level?

Seriously, I wanna know ^^
Here's my beta impression:
Overall it's good. The revamp of the old world is too late, it probably should have been done earlier with some stuff(like flight). Worgen/goblins will be the hot shit for a few weeks just like other class combos while people reroll new stuff then abandon. It was the same with space goats and belfs.

80's can go to Vashj or Hyjal I suggest going to both to level, which order doesn't matter. One because they're both lore rich, and two because it'll help fill out all the blue gear you'll want to collect for dungeons.

The GF is enjoying it, I think she's buying me a copy tonight and going to try enticing me back into playing.

Thanks for answering! I never really played a hunter so I kinda feel like rolling a Goblin hunter. Got 2 gift-coupons I can use to buy Cataclysm.. but will I truly willingly ruin my life even more?

I'll be contemplating for a few days/weeks/hopefully months.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2010, 17:54.

48. Blizzard's Fountain Valley Fry's store pick... Dec 7, 2010, 16:13 Ant

I was chatting with this former female WoW co-worker/player. She thinks Blizzard picked Fountain Valley Fry's Electronics store because of the medival theme and not the location (e.g., why not pick City of Industry?). I said it is because of the closest location to Blizzard's Irvine HQ campus to save money and time. What do you guys think?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

47. Re: fyi - Performance guide at tomshardware Dec 7, 2010, 16:05 Elvis

Sepharo wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 19:52:
Elvis wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 19:46:
using url tag still gave 'url is too long' msg.

It's a known bug. Sometimes you can put a space between the first tag and its content and that'll work.

If it doesn't tinyurl

thanks, and noted.

46. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Stuff Dec 7, 2010, 11:28 Mashiki Amiketo

Sooo.. how is it? What do you feel other than the "too little too late" feeling I had when I was walking around destroyed Azeroth? How special do you feel as one of the hundreds of worgen/goblins running around? And where do lvl 80s quest to level?

Here's my beta impression:
Overall it's good. The revamp of the old world is too late, it probably should have been done earlier with some stuff(like flight). Worgen/goblins will be the hot shit for a few weeks just like other class combos while people reroll new stuff then abandon. It was the same with space goats and belfs.

80's can go to Vashj or Hyjal I suggest going to both to level, which order doesn't matter. One because they're both lore rich, and two because it'll help fill out all the blue gear you'll want to collect for dungeons.

The GF is enjoying it, I think she's buying me a copy tonight and going to try enticing me back into playing.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

45. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Stuff Dec 7, 2010, 10:00 Eldaron Imotholin

Ant wrote on Dec 7, 2010, 09:33:

And what's the meaning of life? 42?

Earth is still calculating.

But c'mon.. tell mmmÍh! ^^

44. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Stuff Dec 7, 2010, 09:33 Ant

And what's the meaning of life? 42?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

43. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Stuff Dec 7, 2010, 09:32 Eldaron Imotholin

42. Re: I made a poll about WoW. :P Dec 7, 2010, 09:14 Ant

Alamar wrote on Dec 7, 2010, 09:10:
Does the online version include all the latest files without patching?

As long as you digitally pre-ordered, or faked it (changed the game code from LK to CT), you would have downloaded the extra ~600 MB needed to make the switch at midnight PST with nothing but a client relaunch (or just logout/in, but we're the windows generation - rebooting is good : ).

So in other words, even if you haven't bought it yet, you can make that same change and be ready for whenever your job/school/etc is done... Because obviously, you're coming back...

Also note the 'you' above, isn't just you Ant... it's everyone... the vortex of addiction is stronger than ever ; )

-Alamar
I was talking about clean installations from scratch.

41. Re: I made a poll about WoW. :P Dec 7, 2010, 09:10 Alamar

As long as you digitally pre-ordered, or faked it (changed the game code from LK to CT), you would have downloaded the extra ~600 MB needed to make the switch at midnight PST with nothing but a client relaunch (or just logout/in, but we're the windows generation - rebooting is good : ).

So in other words, even if you haven't bought it yet, you can make that same change and be ready for whenever your job/school/etc is done... Because obviously, you're coming back...

Also note the 'you' above, isn't just you Ant... it's everyone... the vortex of addiction is stronger than ever ; )

-Alamar

40. Re: I made a poll about WoW. :P Dec 7, 2010, 08:46 Ant

Teddy wrote on Dec 7, 2010, 08:37:
Blizzard online store wasn't up for Wrath if I remember right. I'd put money down that most people bought it over that rather than getting a boxed copy. Seeing as how it's an online only game, it seemed pointless to me to worry about having an actual disc.
I wonder how many people actually reused their bought discs to (re)install WoW from scratch.

39. Re: I made a poll about WoW. :P Dec 7, 2010, 08:37 Teddy

Blizzard online store wasn't up for Wrath if I remember right. I'd put money down that most people bought it over that rather than getting a boxed copy. Seeing as how it's an online only game, it seemed pointless to me to worry about having an actual disc.  

38. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Stuff Dec 7, 2010, 00:50 Alamar

Forgot about this thread...

But ya, you can install from scratch with just the Cata CD.

-Alamar

Edit: And apparently you knew 9m before : )

Always found Blizzard installations funny... Takes longer than anything I have ever seen... to install... and their uninstall takes like half a second...

I know the reasons on both sides, but it's non-standard (on both sides)... and amusing(ly annoying while installing).

37. Re: I made a poll about WoW. :P Dec 7, 2010, 00:41 Cutter

So I just picked up Cata from a store close by and there were only like 20 people there, and about 5 people in fornt of me by the time I got in line. Granted it's cold and snowy out too, but they were lined up around the block for Wrath. Anyway, got a free Gnomeregan T-shirt (they just ran out of the Garrosh ones, boo I wanted that, but my mains are gnomes anyway so represent!) and a fre Cata mousepad too. Sweet. Gonna install and update now and I'll see all y'all in game. I'm on Garona!

Oh sweet it looks like you can install everything from the one disc!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

36. I made a poll about WoW. :P Dec 7, 2010, 00:23 Ant

http://aqfl.net/?q=node/8593 ... And no I am not getting it at this time.  

35. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Stuff Dec 6, 2010, 22:10 Teddy

If all the games are registered within your Bnet account, you can just download the client from battle net. There's a link to download it in your account page.

Granted, it's like 16GB or so nowadays, but that's all I did. No idea about installing from the purchased DVD though.

34. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Launch Stuff Dec 6, 2010, 22:10 Mashiki Amiketo

I'd hazard you can install right from the exp. disc. The last 2 expansions were like that. Of course Alamar could tell you, I quit so I can't.

I was unimpressed, and underwhelmed while playing in the beta.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo