Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tomb Raider Reboot Announced

Square Enix announces TOMB RAIDER, the not unexpected news that a next installment in the platformer series is in the offing. If you think the series is due for one of those reboots, your instincts are correct, as word is: "Here begins the first adventure for a young and inexperienced Lara Croft in a story which charts the journey of an ordinary woman who finds out just how far she must go in order to stay alive." The related image shows a bruised and dirty look for Lara Croft suggesting a grittier approach to the character than in the past. "Forget everything you knew about TOMB RAIDER, we are exploring things that have never been done before in this game," said Darrell Gallagher, Head of Studio, Crystal Dynamics. "This is an origins story that creates Lara Croft and takes her on a character defining journey like no other." There will be more in the new issue of Game Informer magazine, which is now available for subscribers, and will be on newsstands on December 11.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 12, 2010, 14:21 Wowbagger_TIP

Mangrove wrote on Dec 7, 2010, 08:48:

You look down and see your bosom now glistens with a fine spray of sweat, and mirrors the twinkling stars in the moonlit night sky above. Your turquoise top, struggling to tether your heaving breasts, is three sizes too small and you feel your rock hard nipples may tear through the material at any moment. The straps from your backpack caress the side of your warm and firm love mounds every time you breath in and out. You are feeling moist.

Beneath your titties there is a chasm and stuff.

Laugh2

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 7, 2010, 08:48 Mangrove

Sepharo wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 19:42:

Way to just rush into things...

Here let me help, these go before Grab rope:

x cliff
x canyon
x rope

>x all

You look down and see your bosom now glistens with a fine spray of sweat, and mirrors the twinkling stars in the moonlit night sky above. Your turquoise top, struggling to tether your heaving breasts, is three sizes too small and you feel your rock hard nipples may tear through the material at any moment. The straps from your backpack caress the side of your warm and firm love mounds every time you breath in and out. You are feeling moist.

Beneath your titties there is a chasm and stuff.

>leap chasm

You don't need to use the word 'leap' in this game.

>jump chasm

Your leap was too short and you plummet to your death, bouncing satisfyingly off the rocks into the darkness.

Restore Save game Y/N?

>N

47. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 7, 2010, 01:00 Dev

Verno wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 11:00:
Also the Spiderman movie franchise is being "rebooted" despite the first movie in the recent trilogy being 8 years old. We live in amusing times.
And I don't fracking understand that. The "recent" 1st spiderman reboot movie was AWESOME. The 2nd one was also really great. The third one they tried to thrown everything and the kitchen sink into it so it wasn't nearly as good. The current iteration of movies is still great, but maybe they need to slow down a bit and make an awesome movie instead of wow everyone with special effects.

So, WTF do they think they need a reboot?

Edit, A quick google:
Text for your Link

Lists all the reasons I could think of and more in a better way than I could put it.

Apparently its because sony is playing politics with its movies again since they screwed up spidy 3. Well now I know I won't want to pay money to them to see it in theatre.

46. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 23:13 Jerykk

They did that with Prince of Persia. It sucked.

..? They did what with Prince of Persia? Give the Prince bows and spears? Or focus on skill-based platforming and puzzle-solving? The latest PoP game didn't have bows or spears and the platforming and puzzles were dumbed down compared to the SoT trilogy. A step up from PoP 2008 but still dumbed down. However, even the dumbed down platforming and puzzles were more demanding than the ones in Uncharted.

45. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 21:25 Cutter

"It's not a tumour!"
- Detective John Kimball

Haha get it? Tomb-er!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

44. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 19:42 Sepharo

kxmode wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 14:18:
> North

Laura jumps up to the top of the cliff. She is now standing along the precipice of a vast canyon. There is a coil of rope nearby.

> Grab rope

Laura grabs the rope.

Way to just rush into things...

Here let me help, these go before Grab rope:

x cliff
x canyon
x rope

43. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 18:39 CommunistHamster

Open world could just mean a large hub world and most of the "real" levels having a fairly linear "dungeon" type approach.  

42. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 17:47 StingingVelvet

I never liked the original games, though in fairness to them I was pretty distracted by tons of isometric RPG goodness at the time. I have a much higher appreciation for action and puzzle combination today, which brings me to the fact that I really LOVED the recent trilogy by Crystal Dynamics. Very good stuff going on there.

This... not sure. If the rumors of it being open world are correct I really have no idea how that could work with anything resembling traditional Tomb Raider gameplay.

41. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 16:40 PHJF

I still have my Tomb Raider Gold, thanks much. It was difficult insomuch as the controls were unwieldy and the painful, 1st-gen 3D visuals made discerning A from B an exercise in patience.

And I've seen my fair share of Poirot's exploits.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

40. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 16:32 AngelicPenguin

TR1 & 2 were genuinely difficult games

Truth - if anyone tore through St Francis Folly quickly they had a walk through, or were way smarter than I am <<insert easy joke here>>

39. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 16:16 Creston

kxmode wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 14:18:
> North

Laura jumps up to the top of the cliff. She is now standing along the precipice of a vast canyon. There is a coil of rope nearby.

> Grab rope

Laura grabs the rope.

Creston this is exciting!

It beats quite a few of the middle games, actually. It needs nudity though.

> undo top

Laura shows you her tits.

OMG *SQUEEEEE*

Creston

38. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 16:02 bhcompy

Jerykk wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 15:17:

You act as if puzzle-platformers are common. They aren't. First-person shooters, on the other hand, are a dime a dozen. I'll stick with puzzle-platformer Tomb Raider kthx. And that means not copying Uncharted because Uncharted was mostly shooter, whereas TR was mostly platformer.

Based on the leaked info, it sounds like the new TR is stepping away from guns and focusing more on survival, so I predict spears and bows. As long as the focus remains on skill-based platforming and puzzle-solving, I'll be happy.

They did that with Prince of Persia. It sucked.

37. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 15:26 Verno

PHJF wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 15:22:
Tomb Raider was never, ever about "skill-based" platforming. You push a direction, you push a button, and Lara takes care of the rest. The puzzles have never exactly been brain busting, either. There are too many morons out there who'd be easily alienated by any serious exercising of the little gray cells.

Poirot a guilty pleasure or something your GF makes you watch?

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

36. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 15:24 Jerykk

PHJF wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 15:22:
Tomb Raider was never, ever about "skill-based" platforming. You push a direction, you push a button, and Lara takes care of the rest. The puzzles have never exactly been brain busting, either. There are too many morons out there who'd be easily alienated by any serious exercising of the little gray cells.

Troll attempt or genuine ignorance? TR1 & 2 were genuinely difficult games. Anyone calling them easy either hasn't played them or is just being an ass. The rest of the games were fairly challenging as well, requiring excellent timing and coordination.

I think you may be mistaking TR for Assassin's Creed.

35. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 15:22 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

34. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 15:17 Jerykk

Tumbler wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 14:43:
...am I the only one that wants a Call of Duty like, Indiana Jones themed, double pistol wielding action game? I think it'd be awesome to go FPS movie style game with scripted sequences and over the top action scenes?

It'd be a betrayal of everything this game was about but I don't really want another 3rd person puzzle game as before... Uncharted is too damn good to want a 2nd game that copies it.

You act as if puzzle-platformers are common. They aren't. First-person shooters, on the other hand, are a dime a dozen. I'll stick with puzzle-platformer Tomb Raider kthx. And that means not copying Uncharted because Uncharted was mostly shooter, whereas TR was mostly platformer.

Based on the leaked info, it sounds like the new TR is stepping away from guns and focusing more on survival, so I predict spears and bows. As long as the focus remains on skill-based platforming and puzzle-solving, I'll be happy.

33. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 14:59 Verno

kxmode wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 14:51:
suggesting a grittier approach to the character than in the past. "Forget everything you knew about TOMB RAIDER, we are exploring things that have never been done before in this game

TOMB RAIDER: MODERN TREASURE WARFARE: EPISODE 1

"She leads an elite team of Tomb Raiders® behind enemy lines to blaze a trail of glory while seeking vast treasures! Enemies beware! She kicks ass while taking names!"

I can see it now, Prestige mode would reset your cup size.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

32. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 14:56 bhcompy

Tumbler wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 14:43:
...am I the only one that wants a Call of Duty like, Indiana Jones themed, double pistol wielding action game? I think it'd be awesome to go FPS movie style game with scripted sequences and over the top action scenes?

It'd be a betrayal of everything this game was about but I don't really want another 3rd person puzzle game as before... Uncharted is too damn good to want a 2nd game that copies it.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, when it's done right. Take Dante's Inferno for instance: reskinned God of War done right. Thoroughly enjoyable game

31. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 14:56 JoeNapalm

kxmode wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 14:51:

TOMB RAIDER: MODERN WARFARE: EPISODE 1

"She leads an elite team of Tomb Raiders® behind enemy lines to blaze a trail of glory while seeking treasure! Enemies beware! She kicks ass while taking names!"

Maybe they'll take the Max Payne route, and make Laura an old, fat drunk?

Possibly with daddy issues, just to add "depth" to the character.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

30. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 14:51 Kxmode

suggesting a grittier approach to the character than in the past. "Forget everything you knew about TOMB RAIDER, we are exploring things that have never been done before in this game

TOMB RAIDER: MODERN TREASURE WARFARE: EPISODE 1

"She leads an elite team of Tomb Raiders® behind enemy lines to blaze a trail of glory while seeking vast treasures! Enemies beware! She kicks ass while taking names!"

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo