Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support

The Herald Sun reports the Australian federal government has announced support for the addition of an adult-oriented R18+ rating to allow the sale of mature video games to those over the age of 18. While this sounds like good news for gamers down under eager for the implementation of a rating to allow the sale of games that cannot be sold if refused classification under the MA15+ rating, this may result in a more restrictive environment. This is because Home Affairs and Justice Minister Brendan O'Connor explains that the goal of adding an R18+ rating is to apply it to some games currently rated MA15+ since the lack of an adult rating in Australia results in some violent games earning an MA15+ rating: "I'm more concerned about having the MA15+ games reviewed to see whether in fact they should be in an adult only classification." As for the games that are currently not available, he says: "I am not contemplating placing those RC (refused classification) games into an R18+ classification." Implementation of a new rating will require approval of each state and territorial attorney-general, who will be meeting Friday. Prior efforts in this direction have always failed, with the main obstacle to adoption of the new rating was always seen to be former South Australia Attorney-General Michael Atkinson, who resigned in March, but they also note that South Australia has already expressed opposition to "relaxing the ban on R-rated computer games."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support Dec 6, 2010, 10:14 InBlack

Man theyve got some serious problems down under...

/end sarcasm

Seriously though....Australia is probably one of the best places to emmigrate to. The people are nice, the scenery is nice, the economy is allright (used to be good but hey, today beggars cant be choosers) the crime rate compared to most of the developed western countries is ridiculously low...

Im guessing some of these conservative politicians just wannt a bigger piece of the cake. (Read bigger bribes!!)

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support Dec 6, 2010, 09:30 Eldaron Imotholin

That sounds ridiculous! It's like you're talking about some sort of motorcycle gang here, the way that government system seems to work.  

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

11. Re: Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support Dec 6, 2010, 08:47 Parallax Abstraction

Coolone wrote on Dec 5, 2010, 17:25:
So wait, can't the other AU States just tell South Australia to sod off? Where's the majority vote here?

From what I've read on the issue, all the Attorneys General have to unanimously approve the R18+ rating for it to come into effect. That was the big problem a while back because Michael Atkinson was literally the only one who didn't support it but his one vote was enough to stall it.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

10. Re: Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support Dec 6, 2010, 05:46 derelict koan

StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 5, 2010, 16:01:
This shit just baffles me, that people would put up with this nanny-state government bullshit. I know many other countries have the government rate their media though, like the UK, so I guess it seems normal in some places.

I think we just don't care enough to actually DO something, most people I know are aware that the poli's here are just real estate agents with rich friends and are mostly bored by it all. Signing a petition? That's about the right level of effort.

www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

9. Re: Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support Dec 6, 2010, 01:45 Cutter

For all the BS that North America and Europe puts up with, it really does seem - in cases like this at least - that Aus really is a nanny state, so yeah that's fair. The shit you guys have to go through to get games and prices you pay are ridiculous.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

8. Re: Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support Dec 5, 2010, 19:20 StingingVelvet

DG wrote on Dec 5, 2010, 18:18:
Nothing wrong with ratings IMO, provided they are administered well (the UK's is independent of government, BTW).

Since when? I don't live in the UK but everything I have read on the subject says that its ratings are legal restrictions backed by the government. That means games are government regulated, whether the actual ratings board is an elected political body or not.

In the US the ratings aren't legally enforced (and I have little problem with them).

7. Re: Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support Dec 5, 2010, 18:18 DG

StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 5, 2010, 16:01:
I know many other countries have the government rate their media though, like the UK, so I guess it seems normal in some places.
Nothing wrong with ratings IMO, provided they are administered well (the UK's is independent of government, BTW).

It's just a guide for people who have preferences, enforced by stores not selling to minors to give parents some chance. If you're an adult you're basically unaffected and it's probably unusual to find a 15 year old who doesn't have GTA or whatever.

I'd actually say that ratings act more to alleviate censorship. I have little doubt that if there wasn't an 18 certificate not only would more movies/games be banned (in practice hardly any are) but much more pressure would be applied to tone down risky films/games. As it stands the argument "it was made for adults and has an 18 certificate" goes a long way (unless you write for the Daily Fail of course). True a whopping 2% if films made cuts last year, but probably all of them did so to achieve a lower rating for marketing reasons.

Banning on the other hand...

6. Re: Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support Dec 5, 2010, 17:52 Wallshadows

Great! Now lets do something about the delays and hyper-inflated prices, shall we?

Poor Aussies

5. Re: Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support Dec 5, 2010, 17:42 bigspender

on one hand i wish the government wouldnt tell me what I can and can't expose myself to.

on the other hand, most R18+ games are completely shit(more gore/shock but no gameplay) so i don't really care

4. Re: Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support Dec 5, 2010, 17:38 theyarecomingforyou

Unfortunately this is just one of the many issues holding back Australia, internet censorship being the other obvious example.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

3. Re: Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support Dec 5, 2010, 17:25 Coolone

So wait, can't the other AU States just tell South Australia to sod off? Where's the majority vote here?  

2. Re: Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support Dec 5, 2010, 16:37 Kosumo

lol, look at you rage and call out "nanny-state qoverment" I find that so funny.  

1. Re: Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support Dec 5, 2010, 16:01 StingingVelvet

This shit just baffles me, that people would put up with this nanny-state government bullshit. I know many other countries have the government rate their media though, like the UK, so I guess it seems normal in some places.  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo