Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview

The Minecraft Website reveals that over 700,000 players have now purchased the independently developed sandbox game (thanks Big Download). Also, the Markus Persson interview on Hooked Gamers talks with the man behind the game. Along the way Markus discusses the inspiration of games like Dungeon Keeper and Dwarf Fortress, the present and future of the project, and an amusing take on his own style of play: "The game is designed to be as broad as possible, so what you do is up to you. For me, that usually ends with me exploring caves and getting lost."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 6, 2010, 09:54 JoeNapalm

Rattlehead wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 01:28:
Minecraft is the most overrated indie game since mount and blade, it's basically legos with shitty graphics.

You do realize that both of those games were developed by "dev teams" of one (1) guy, right? No hundred-man art teams, there. Heck, Minecraft is in ALPHA!

Even triple-A titles tend to look like crap in Alpha, because their resources are directed toward getting features working, not making it pretty.

M&B:Warband features very respectable graphics for an indy game - once they got some money, they could spend the time to pretty things up. Notch is expanding his team from just himself to about 20 people, so I'm guessing some of those are artists.

Obviously, you're entitled to like or dislike whatever games your inclined to - but both of these are top notch (no pun intended) open-world do-whatever-the-@#$%-you-please games. Both are very successful (for indy games). Could it be that you just don't like that kind of game? I mean, yeah, if you think legos are dumb, Minecraft probably doesn't hold much for you...

...but a lot of people like Legos...

A gazillion people like a lot of stuff I don't understand, I know that.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 6, 2010, 09:07 wtf_man

Rattlehead wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 01:28:
it's basically legos with shitty graphics.

That's what I got from the descriptions and screenshots (I've never played it, nor had the desire).

15. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 6, 2010, 05:34 UnderLord

nin wrote on Dec 5, 2010, 20:12:
It's the kind of game where you have to make your own fun.

That's the best description I've read. You have to use your imagination a bit and want to create things and explore.

Well that explains why so many Second Life people get into it straight away then. :-)

14. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 6, 2010, 03:03 starmonkey

Ventura wrote on Dec 5, 2010, 17:53:
I'm good at getting resources together though, and I love the cave exploration side of things, but I just don't know what to do with it all.

When in doubt - build elf castles in the sky. Plant trees up there. Multi-levelled, asymmetrical wonders.

13. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 6, 2010, 02:09 Icewind

nin wrote on Dec 5, 2010, 20:12:

That's the best description I've read. You have to use your imagination a bit and want to create things and explore.

So in other words, you have to be autistic?

12. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 6, 2010, 01:28 Rattlehead

Minecraft is the most overrated indie game since mount and blade, it's basically legos with shitty graphics.  

11. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 5, 2010, 20:18 creatorswhim

Grounded wrote on Dec 5, 2010, 15:43:
Stupid fucking game for a really simplistic fail MMO community

You're right. I fail to understand how you can be satisfied with a spoon-fed, mission based, XP and leveling obsessed game paradigm. If you went to sleep in 2004 and woke up today, you'd wonder how every new MMO in the last 6 years turned into WoW.

Minecraft is more like SimCity was back at the beginning. It was about what you wanted to do, not about what bullshit hoops the game designers wanted you to jump through. Sorry that you guys don't "get it" but it's not really a failing on your part, and I'm sure that once the mods really start to get off the ground, mod authors will have plenty of NPCs telling you where to go and what to do.

10. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 5, 2010, 20:12 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 5, 2010, 17:53 Ventura

I've come to love Minecraft, but I lack the creativity to really get anywhere with it. I don't know what to do, I figured I'd built a house out of bricks after getting huge amounts of clay together and then cooking it all up, but it ended up looking like the most boring thing ever. The things other people have done are just astonishing.

I'm good at getting resources together though, and I love the cave exploration side of things, but I just don't know what to do with it all.

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2010, 17:59.

8. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 5, 2010, 17:47 Evil Timmy

Minecraft is the sort of game where you get as much as you want to put in, with little to no overlying structure. If you try and play it like a traditional RPG, you'll be disappointed because there's no quest structure or overarching story.

However, try and come at it from the perspective of a child, or a lucid dream. You've been given this whole world to play around in, by yourself or with others, and you don't have to do anything in particular. Want to see what's on the other side of that mountain? Go for it, that's just as valid a goal as building a house or starting a farm. You could make a replica of the Battlestar Galactica or a four-hundred-foot-tall penis statue, with a waterfall perpetually pouring from the tip. You could purely go spelunking, risking life, limb, and loot for huge ore veins and valuable drops which you hoard in your castle made of sand. Build a pig farm with a mob spawner and complex set of traps and eat nothing but pork. Redirect rivers. Strip-mine mountains so you can make a house out of gold bricks.

That's the fun of it: whatever you want.

7. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 5, 2010, 17:27 Silicon Avatar

The survival mode is a little more interesting, but surviving is really easy once you figure what to do (the same strategy works every time for every game). None of the zombies or monsters can dig on their own and they all have crap AI so don't expect any challenges after the few hours of gameplay.

That turns out to be okay though since mostly the game is about making stuff out of blocks.

It's more of a toy than a game. If you "get" that and like it then you'll like Minecraft.

It's casual fun. It's getting over-hyped though.

6. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 5, 2010, 16:33 rist3903

This game, like every other game ever made, is not for everyone. You are allowed to not like it.  

5. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 5, 2010, 15:56 StingingVelvet

Icewind wrote on Dec 5, 2010, 15:35:
I don't either. Everyone I know at work plays this and talks about it at lunch and I'm completely lost. I've tried three times to get into it but I find it so incredibly boring. Maybe I'm not doing something in it that I need to be doing, but all you do is dig for minerals and build stuff.

Many gamers are motivated by simple reward mechanisms... it's why games like Diablo and Borderlands are popular, and the basis for almost every MMO ever made.

To others it's meaningless.

4. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 5, 2010, 15:43 Grounded

Stupid fucking game for a really simplistic fail MMO community

3. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 5, 2010, 15:35 Icewind

|oR|jonvall wrote on Dec 5, 2010, 14:57:
That's close to 10 million dollars! Good for him! I tried this game again after initially not "getting it" and I still don't get it!

Maybe the paid game is different? I made a house....I carved out an awesome basement.....I dug way down and eventually flooded most of my basement by accident.....but somebody said something about hiding at night...well night didn't seem to come....so all I was left with was a flooded basement and a nice little house...WOOOPEEE!

I seriously seem to be missing something!

I don't either. Everyone I know at work plays this and talks about it at lunch and I'm completely lost. I've tried three times to get into it but I find it so incredibly boring. Maybe I'm not doing something in it that I need to be doing, but all you do is dig for minerals and build stuff.

Punching pigs for bacon and trees for wood just isn't very fun for me. It's like a really low-spec late 90s MMO. Just resource management and building things up. I don't get the attraction.

2. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 5, 2010, 15:11 m00t

Classic mode is a bit different from Survival (the paid version). In survival the blocks don't disappear instantly and there is a day/night cycle. You start with an empty inventory and have to work your way up to better tools. It's a bit more engaging than the Classic mode.  

1. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 5, 2010, 14:57 |oR|jonvall

That's close to 10 million dollars! Good for him! I tried this game again after initially not "getting it" and I still don't get it!

Maybe the paid game is different? I made a house....I carved out an awesome basement.....I dug way down and eventually flooded most of my basement by accident.....but somebody said something about hiding at night...well night didn't seem to come....so all I was left with was a flooded basement and a nice little house...WOOOPEEE!

I seriously seem to be missing something!

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo