Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I mentioned the high hopes I had for Running Wilde, the new Mitch Hurwitz/Will Arnett show that turned out to be pretty disappointing, but I never did mention the favorite new show of the season in the BlueTower, which is Raising Hope. This sitcom is offbeat and often pretty brilliant, with clever writing and a tremendous cast, including comebacks for Martha Plimpton and Cloris Leachman, along with a favorite character actor of mine for some time, Garret Dillahunt, who regularly steals the show. I believe it is already a bona fide hit, so this may not be news to you, but if you haven't seen it, I cannot recommend it more highly.

Raising Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Darkbase RTS.
Freaky Cows.
Links: Burger of the Year.
From Pong to Furby, games and gadgets of holidays past.
Alcoholic Chocolate Milk -- Proof That Childhood Dreams Do Come True.
Stories: Actor Chuck Norris to become honorary Texas Ranger.
Toy robot detours traffic near Coors Field. Thanks Slashdot.
S**t Just Got Real.
"You Killed Kenny!" Doorstop.
Media: Jonathan Coulton's "Shop•Vac" in kinetic type.
Wiley vs. Rhodes.
Incredible Hulk: The Musical.
We Are The World 25.75. NSFW.
Auction: Oswald's Coffin for Sale.
The Funnies: Brevity.
A Serious Game - Savage Chickens.
Follow-up: NASA scientists discover all-new form of life.
Getting the lead in turns LHC into a mini Big Bang machine.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2010, 10:41  Blue 

Prez wrote on Dec 4, 2010, 08:06:
Since Blue mentioned Garrett Dillahunt, who I agree is a splendid actor, I will take the opportunity to mention my second favorite canceled show (next to Firefly), Sarah Connor Chronicles, in which Dillahunt played the badass Terminator Cromartie. The writing was admittedly often suck-ish, but there was really something about that show that made me look forward to it (other than Summer Glau, though she's a good reason too... ) than any other show in a looong time.

I felt the same way about that show. It never quite shed the feel of being a little cheezy, but it had a lot going for it, especially the casting of Summer, Garret, and Shirley Manson.

My favorite Dillahunt moments are his little comic nuances in No Country for Old Men:

I think we're lookin' at more'n one fracas. Wild West over there. Execution here.

These boys is all swole up. So this was earlier: gettin' set to trade. Then, whoa, differences...

The way he delivers "whoa, differences" never fails to crack me up.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2010, 08:06 Prez

Since Blue mentioned Garrett Dillahunt, who I agree is a splendid actor, I will take the opportunity to mention my second favorite canceled show (next to Firefly), Sarah Connor Chronicles, in which Dillahunt played the badass Terminator Cromartie. The writing was admittedly often suck-ish, but there was really something about that show that made me look forward to it (other than Summer Glau, though she's a good reason too... ) than any other show in a looong time.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2010, 07:26 mag

Just put creme de cacao in milk or chocolate milk. Bam. Alcoholic chocolate milk.  

15. Re: breaking bad is very excellent, but yeh AMC dropped a ball Dec 3, 2010, 19:42 Sepharo

space captain wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 19:36:
oddly my favorite by far is the prohibition agent nelson.. that dude is a freak and the actor's chops are on point

I've been hearing this a lot.

After Nelson it's gotta be Capone.

I wonder how long his new found maturity will last.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2010, 19:39 Sepharo

kxmode wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 12:13:
I got an advanced copy of the Tron Legacy soundtrack. Wow! It sounds great, but I have to warn die-hard Daft Punk fans this is not their usual music. The only track that has Daft Punk's signature sound is Derezzed, the rest sound like orchestral electronica. It's not the usual Daft Punk style. Be prepared!

I've actually been enjoying the "fakes" on YouTube.
Some of those fakers need to step up and let me know who they really are.

13. breaking bad is very excellent, but yeh AMC dropped a ball Dec 3, 2010, 19:36 space captain

PHJF wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 19:05:
Meanwhile, I've just been getting into Boardwalk Empire. At least HBO always seem to know what they're doing.

never been a huge fan of period piece drama, but the gangster element helps with that.. its a bit bland overall, although that seems intentional for the most part - they do a good job of portraying how "nice" society was supposed to act and how stupid/clever they were about it

but really the characters are all pretty weak right now, the dicaprio stand-in kid especially

oddly my favorite by far is the prohibition agent nelson.. that dude is a freak and the actor's chops are on point

Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2010, 19:05 PHJF

"Everybody else" are complete moron zombies who watch anything. The bar is set so low for TV writing than any show bearing a spec of intelligence and originality is heralded as the greatest thing since Shakespeare.

Walking Dead consistently treads toward utterly stock character archetypes and completely forgettable episode-to-episode plot progression. Viewers of the last few episodes wouldn't be at fault for not realizing the show is about zombies; the undead have been relegated almost entirely to the backseat so the two-dimensional survivors can spew angsty dialog back and forth.

This show is incredibly disappointing. After Breaking Bad and Mad Men I'd thought AMC had found some sure footing.

Meanwhile, I've just been getting into Boardwalk Empire. At least HBO always seem to know what they're doing.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. walking dead Dec 3, 2010, 17:42 space captain

the show is passable, its ok - i really dont understand how adding heavy amounts of sappy soap opera bullshit to scifi/horror/fantasy suddenly makes it OMG AMAZING BEST SHOW EVER HOLY SHIT WOW !!! i felt the same with BSG .. but i guess Lost is probly most to blame  
Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2010, 17:09 xXBatmanXx

PHJF wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 15:54:
Walking Dead had a good first episode (and I really dig the intro) but yeesh it's tanked. The writing is just terribad.

Wow - I thought the first ep was garbage....and everyone has been telling me it gets better....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2010, 16:54 mch

PHJF wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 15:54:
Walking Dead had a good first episode (and I really dig the intro) but yeesh it's tanked. The writing is just terribad.

Read yesterday that they fired all the writers and Darabont isn't planning on having any for the second season.

PSN: CaseDesignate

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2010, 15:56 killer_roach

sauron wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 14:26:
Re. Alcoholic Chocolate Milk. This has been around for years. It's called Bailey's Irish Cream. Or in some countries, Ponche Crema.

Or, for that matter, it seems not that far removed from Chocovin as well...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2010, 15:54 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2010, 14:26 sauron

Re. Alcoholic Chocolate Milk. This has been around for years. It's called Bailey's Irish Cream. Or in some countries, Ponche Crema.  

Kittens!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2010, 14:21 mag

Hoop wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 13:37:
Does anyone else here think switching the LHC to smashing ions of lead is a desperate ploy to at least give the press something to report from Cern?
These guys have been under increasing pressure to get a result, just looks like a paniced fall back plan to me.

We gotta give them something before the years out, throw some lead ions in there & excitedly rush some pretty coloured graphics out to them, should keep them off our backs for a year.

The LHC was always intended to do runs colliding lead. You can't just switch one of these accelerators from one thing to another because you're not getting good press.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2010, 14:17 Kxmode

Hoop wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 13:37:
We gotta give them something before the years out, throw some lead ions in there & excitedly rush some pretty coloured graphics out to them, should keep them off our backs for a year.

Kind of like when Charles Fleischer gave his presentation on Moleeds at TED. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcnYqyQyHd8#t=13m45

"You can't make this stuff up!"

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2010, 13:37 Hoop

Does anyone else here think switching the LHC to smashing ions of lead is a desperate ploy to at least give the press something to report from Cern?
These guys have been under increasing pressure to get a result, just looks like a paniced fall back plan to me.

Um .. Behind you...

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2010, 12:13 Kxmode

I got an advanced copy of the Tron Legacy soundtrack. Wow! It sounds great, but I have to warn die-hard Daft Punk fans this is not their usual music. The only track that has Daft Punk's signature sound is Derezzed, the rest sound like orchestral electronica. It's not the usual Daft Punk style. Be prepared!  

1. Actor Chuck Norris to become honorary Texas Ranger Dec 3, 2010, 11:16 ProfMike

Chuck Norris did not honorarily join the Texas Rangers... The Texas Rangers honorarily joined Chuck Norris.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo