Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta

The Team Fortress 2 Blog announces plans to resume public beta testing of Team Fortress 2, even though the teamplay shooter sequel has been out for more than three years now. They explain this will allow them to update the frequently patched game even more often, while preventing mistakes with the non-beta version of the game. Speaking of the game's frequent updates, Steam News announces another new patch now automatically available. The change list follows.

• Added check to prevent control characters from user-provided item names and descriptions (replaced with spaces).
  • Fixed a control point bug where players could capture points that were already owned by their team.
  • Fixed a server crash caused by kicking a player that isn't fully connected.
  • Fixed Spies being able to destroy sappers using the "destroy" command.
  • Fixed Engineers being able to destroy sapped buildings by issuing the command directly in the console.
  • Fixed an issue where team colored hats were showing up improperly when previewing the Team Spirit paint on them.
  • Fixed an issue where SourceTV clients were seeing their local player/duel stats in the scoreboard.
  • Updated the player_hurt event to always set "damageamount" even if the attacker is the world (falling damage).
  • Updated items:
    • Many hats have had their appearance while painted improved. Paintable hats should now appear less like solid blobs of color and retain more of the character and texture of the hat.
    • Integrated several improvements to contributed items provided by their authors.
    • Made the following items paintable: Sergeant’s Drill Hat, Pyro’s Beanie, “Dangeresque, Too?”, Whiskered Gentleman, Safe’n’Sound, Trophy Belt, Frenchman’s Beret, Camera Beard, Max’s Severed Head, Alien Swarm Parasite, Ellis’ Cap, and the Horrific Headsplitter.
    • Sam & Max items and the Portal 2 Pin are now Gift Wrappable.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 4, 2010, 16:12 ForgedReality

Dev wrote on Dec 4, 2010, 13:39:
How about valve just bother to test stuff a teeny tiny bit before releasing it?

I constantly see examples where valve obviously didn't bother to test any at all. Like that one L4D2 mutation with infinite machine gun ammo, when playing a campaign in dark carnival the finale would freeze the server on loading. Obviously they never even bothered to spend 30 mins a campaign running through on easy to make sure the official campaigns were all playable.

I see tons more examples. What about when valve ported no mercy to l4d2. They didn't bother to port elevator fixes. Valve didn't bother to port elevator talk either (the sound files are already ready to go from l4d1). How about the door by the lift event? That exploit was fixed like 3 times in l4d1 and had to be fixed another 3 times in l4d2 since valve didn't bother to port any of the fixes. Seriously, I found out all this on my very first playthrough of the port. Valve rarely bothers to test stuff much, instead letting players do it.

Yawn. This thread is not about l4d. Anyway, Valve didn't develop L4D1.

And if you knew anything about anything, Valve EXTENSIVELY tests their games. Read their blogs and news updates sometime. It's not some dude sitting by himself in a basement making changes and immediately releasing them. Well known players have even been invited to private Valve games to help them "publicly" test.

Where I work, we do lots of testing prior to releases, but there is no way you can account for every single contingency. There are so many different hardware and software configurations, and everyone's computer is different. You could even have pre-existing problems that cause issues with a certain game (at which point, it's not Valve's responsibility). Testing, no matter how much, does not eliminate the possibility/probability of bugs cropping up. It's impossible.

I'd like to see you produce a game that has more than one feature and is bug-free. You can even QA that shit for 4 years before you push it out the door. I'd bet someone has a problem with it because you didn't account for their particular driver version or certain piece of hardware.

So, in short, shut the fuck up!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 4, 2010, 13:39 Dev

How about valve just bother to test stuff a teeny tiny bit before releasing it?

I constantly see examples where valve obviously didn't bother to test any at all. Like that one L4D2 mutation with infinite machine gun ammo, when playing a campaign in dark carnival the finale would freeze the server on loading. Obviously they never even bothered to spend 30 mins a campaign running through on easy to make sure the official campaigns were all playable.

I see tons more examples. What about when valve ported no mercy to l4d2. They didn't bother to port elevator fixes. Valve didn't bother to port elevator talk either (the sound files are already ready to go from l4d1). How about the door by the lift event? That exploit was fixed like 3 times in l4d1 and had to be fixed another 3 times in l4d2 since valve didn't bother to port any of the fixes. Seriously, I found out all this on my very first playthrough of the port. Valve rarely bothers to test stuff much, instead letting players do it.

23. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 21:03 PHJF

The scattergun has always been capable of felling heavies in two shots.

Or have you never noticed that? It says it right on the loading screen.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

22. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 20:26 Wildone

Yea and the scout is the new uber class, especially if he has that lil pop gun that can kill a heavy in like 2 shots. At least they were doing that to me constantly among other things  

21. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 19:37 Sepharo

PHJF wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 16:01:
I'd love to hear exactly which weapons people think so ruined TF2. The only one I find particularly irritating is Dead Ringer, but I've had plenty of time to cope with it.

They don't actually play so that may be difficult. May put in a few maps on an update but that's enough for the "clownshoes" to kick them out.

20. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 19:35 AngelicPenguin

Each class has a few different styles they can play now. It's really not that confusing. Also, the hats are a great way of differentiating one person from the next.

For someone who plays pretty much every day, I'm glad for the new content and don't think it has changed the core game at all.

19. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 16:01 PHJF

Uhh it's not like they took the original weapons away. If you're a good player you can still get plenty of kills with the default weapons.

The good players almost exclusively use the original weapons. Kritzkrieg and Wrangler are basically the only new weapons top-end players will use, at least where I play. The only weapon I myself use which fundamentally altered its class is the Eyelander/Targe, and then only when I'm on defense.

I'd love to hear exactly which weapons people think so ruined TF2. The only one I find particularly irritating is Dead Ringer, but I've had plenty of time to cope with it.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 13:07 ViRGE

jimnms wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 07:04:
I didn't like having to get stupid achievements to unlock weapons, but I was OK with having alternate weapons since the new weapons had a disadvantage to offset the advantage. Each time they release a class update I would quit playing until things calmed down and went back to "normal." At one point I quit playing for so long they updated two classes by the time I got back in, and shortly after I got back into it they released another one. It started to get a little goofy with the hats, then it just got ridiculous with the crafting. I quit playing again after the last class update, and now with the store and micro-transactions, I have little desire to go back.

That was really the last team vs. team MP game I played. The only MP I play anymore is an occasional game of L4D(2).
Ditto to all of this. I still like the game, but it's structured in a way where it's not really possible to play it in vanilla (i.e. sans-junk) at the moment.

Vulkan's on the right path when he notes that they desperately need a Pure Server option; what Valve has done is anything but pure.

17. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 10:43 briktal

Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 01:24:
Uhh it's not like they took the original weapons away. If you're a good player you can still get plenty of kills with the default weapons.

It's not so much about what you can do, it's about what everyone else can do.

16. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 10:35 Will W

Agreed with the majority sentiment here. I liked the game much more when it was more vanilla, played a bit with the updated classes/weapons, and have all but stopped since wacky hat, crafting and micro transactions.

I would still say I got more value/play time out of this game then any other since I was playing Sierra games on an 8086 IBM PC.

15. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 10:28 Vulkan

TF2 should steal Modern Warfail's idea and implement barebones servers, where only the original weapons and items are allowed.  

14. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 09:44 Verno

jimnms wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 07:04:
I didn't like having to get stupid achievements to unlock weapons, but I was OK with having alternate weapons since the new weapons had a disadvantage to offset the advantage. Each time they release a class update I would quit playing until things calmed down and went back to "normal." At one point I quit playing for so long they updated two classes by the time I got back in, and shortly after I got back into it they released another one. It started to get a little goofy with the hats, then it just got ridiculous with the crafting. I quit playing again after the last class update, and now with the store and micro-transactions, I have little desire to go back.

That was really the last team vs. team MP game I played. The only MP I play anymore is an occasional game of L4D(2).

Yeah that pretty much sums up my experience with TF2 as well, I know I've said it a few times. You take a break from what is a great casual shooter and come back to find clownshoes and MMO elements. I felt almost lost just trying to play the game and gave up. Is there such a thing as too much free content? Maybe. It feels like they should have just made another game entirely after the first few class updates because it seems like they want to make an MMOFPS oh so badly.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

13. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 07:04 jimnms

Steam Profile

12. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 03:48 Jerykk

There are a few active Tribes servers left, though none of them are pure Base. The closest thing is LT Base, though that strips away all the base assets and forces everyone to use the same armor. While this is conducive to smaller scale matches, it really takes away a large part of the game's appeal.  

11. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 02:25 dubfanatic

Drezden wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 00:55:
God do I miss the original Starsiege Tribes.
Any chance there are still servers running? Is it worth digging through my piles of CD's and finding the disc or downloading it from somewhere and checking?

http://www.fileplanet.com/140246/140000/fileinfo/Starsiege:-Tribes-(Free-Game)

10. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 01:24 Silicon Avatar

9. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 00:55 Trevellian

Jerykk wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 00:18:
I guess if you're a hardcore gamer that might be your cup of tea, but not me.

Unlockables appeal to casual gamers, not hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers value things like depth, challenge and complexity. They enjoy games where the fundamental gameplay is comprised of these things. This is why games like Quake, Tribes, Starcraft, etc, had such long lifespans. There were no unlockables, no leveling, no perks, no tangible rewards to promote continued playtime. People played these games because they were deep. You could play them for years and still learn new tactics and skills. Sadly, the vast majority of multiplayer games these days are terribly shallow, hence the reliance on unlockables and leveling to keep people playing.

God do I miss the original Starsiege Tribes.
Any chance there are still servers running? Is it worth digging through my piles of CD's and finding the disc or downloading it from somewhere and checking?

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

8. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 00:40 dubfanatic

IMO the peak of this game was right before the Scout update. I was always dreading that update because the Scout was my second most hated class (behind Sniper) but it was even "wackier" than I anticipated. The set/micro-transaction update was the last straw. But, at least I got my money's worth for TF2, which is more than I can say for Left 4 Dead.

One of the best things about QuakeWorld TF and TFC was that the game objectives weren't built into the game. Instead the objectives were left up to the map makers. There could never be a TF2 port of rock2, it would have to be ruined like the port of well, or payload which was supposed to be a substitute for hunted (a poor substitute IMO)

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2010, 00:51.

7. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 00:28 Nate

I've just played too much TF2, 562 hours. It lost my interest. Perhaps for many of you its really not the unlockables they added but burnout.  

6. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched, Re-enters Beta Dec 3, 2010, 00:18 Jerykk

I guess if you're a hardcore gamer that might be your cup of tea, but not me.

Unlockables appeal to casual gamers, not hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers value things like depth, challenge and complexity. They enjoy games where the fundamental gameplay is comprised of these things. This is why games like Quake, Tribes, Starcraft, etc, had such long lifespans. There were no unlockables, no leveling, no perks, no tangible rewards to promote continued playtime. People played these games because they were deep. You could play them for years and still learn new tactics and skills. Sadly, the vast majority of multiplayer games these days are terribly shallow, hence the reliance on unlockables and leveling to keep people playing.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo