Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 3, 2010, 07:51 eRe4s3r

Actually my ISP deletes all IP logs by the end of the billing cycle (1 month) In Germany privacy still means being private, more or less.

But you are right. However the RFC which you quoted has not gone into the protocol beyond "experimental" as far as i am aware , this means no one is implementing it anywhere near a production environment.

Anyhow you have a point. The slow rollout is because there is really no need yet. Nothing will happen until ipv4 becomes REALLY scarce.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 2, 2010, 23:24 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 2, 2010, 14:47:
Awesome improvement. And you wonder why conversion is slow? Its because IPv6 - to this date - has no privacy feature whatsoever. (Privacy in the sense that random 24h changing IP's give you) an IPv4 is not a unique ID on the web.

Just doing some googling on the topic, it seems RFC4941 specifically addresses methods that can be used to defeat the kind of thing you're talking about. For example:

Another approach, compatible with the stateless address
autoconfiguration architecture, would be to change the interface
identifier portion of an address over time and generate new addresses
from the interface identifier for some address scopes. Changing the
interface identifier can make it more difficult to look at the IP
addresses in independent transactions and identify which ones
actually correspond to the same node, both in the case where the
routing prefix portion of an address changes and when it does not.

Anyways they were thinking of this stuff going back nearly 10 years and there is nothing stopping people from running their own DNS server to combat it. It's not like it's particularly resource intensive unless you allow public access, I ran bind at home for years.

You are not anonymous right now anyway, your ISP keeps logs detailing every IP hand out and to which customers they correspond to. The only truly anonymous people are those cloning mac addresses on cable networks. I sincerely doubt that has anything to do with the slow rollout. It's obviously an issue you care about and I agree it's important but it has zip to do with slow rollout of IPv6. Advertisers figured out multiple ways of tracking you long ago anyway and I think mobile privacy is a far bigger button issue overall which is intertwined with IPv6 anyways.

IPv6 is 100% necessary with the explosive growth of IP mobile networks. There isn't any alternative at this point and it's too late to hear drafts for years before finally ratifying and implementing something else.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 2, 2010, 14:47 eRe4s3r

IPv6 is what comes out when you have 700 geeks a "who's got the biggest" contest (Brain, that is). Now we got a clusterfrack of an IP convention that nobody can type in without a printout anymore.

How is that an improvement?

Also, the biggest joke is that IPv6 is a privacy nightmare, IPv6 needs static unique ID to work and uses your (converted) mac address. This is so name servers at all times know where to reach you. And in turn anyone being contacted by you (websites, Advertisers) can log this. As part of your IPv6 NEVER CHANGES it is possible to always and with high accuracy identify you. Should your IP address ever be leaked, and linked to real name - a public dataset of this can essentially end your privacy for life.

Awesome improvement. And you wonder why conversion is slow? Its because IPv6 - to this date - has no privacy feature whatsoever. (Privacy in the sense that random 24h changing IP's give you) an IPv4 is not a unique ID on the web.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2010, 14:58.

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 2, 2010, 08:56 Verno

I know a few ISPs who can't light up new customers due to running out of IPs so I don't think it's overblown in the slightest. Maybe if you're Comcast it's fine but LittleGuyADSL doesn't have the same clout with ARIN. Then again we have only ourselves to blame, the pressure to implement IPv6 should have started five years ago.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

1. Global pool of IPv4 addresses set to run dry in weeks. Dec 1, 2010, 22:28 LittleMe

The concern is blown way out of proportion. If people can buy and sell ip blocks (and they do) then prices will need to go up for a while until IPv6 is farther along. Markets deal with and solve problems like this all the time.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo