Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Civilization V Map Packs

Steam News announces the release of four new map packs for Sid Meier's Civilization V. These are the Asia, Americas, Mesopotamia, and Mediterranean map packs, which are also available together in the Cradle of Civilization DLC bundle. Word is: "The Cradle of Civilization map packs are Firaxis-designed maps of real-world locations. You can play random leaders in these settings, or choose leaders appropriate to the history of these areas."

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Civilization V Map Packs Dec 1, 2010, 18:37 DrEvil

Jivaro wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 17:59:
Aren't all of these maps just the extra maps that were available depending on which retailer you bought from? The point being that people who insist on having "EVERYTHING" can get it now?

Not that I am saying people should have to pay 10 bucks for them. Charging for plain maps when the game ships with a map editor is wonky. If they had any original content to them that might be different.

Indeed, they are. That's why most of the complaints are so funny. "You should be working on patches, not maps!"

Like you, I agree it seems to be in poor taste to charge this much for the maps. It seems obvious why they offered them individually though given that those that already have one of the other maps as a pre-order bonus can buy just the other three.

Although it's a bit of a snub in the face of those that pre-ordered since to complete their collection of the four maps, they'll spend $8.97 USD, while people who have none of them can buy the complete map pack for only $9.99 USD. So the "discount" on the four map pack is definitely heavily biased towards people that have none of them.

I haven't bought any of the DLC yet, and probably won't. I'll just wait for the expansion or some super-mega-steam sale where I get the map pack for $0.99 USD

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Civilization V Map Packs Dec 1, 2010, 17:59 Jivaro

Aren't all of these maps just the extra maps that were available depending on which retailer you bought from? The point being that people who insist on having "EVERYTHING" can get it now?

Not that I am saying people should have to pay 10 bucks for them. Charging for plain maps when the game ships with a map editor is wonky. If they had any original content to them that might be different.

12. Re: Civilization V Map Packs Dec 1, 2010, 15:57 Cutter

Darks wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 15:33:
This is really pushing things to the edge with DLC. I personally canít stand DLC. Bethesda really screwed over PC Gaming with this non sense. And these maps should have come with the game. It really bothers me when a developer feels the need to nickel and dime the users to death when things like this should have been released in the game to begin with.

+1. And as always mentioned in threads like these, wake me if and when they get a real - good - expansion.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

11. Re: Civilization V Map Packs Dec 1, 2010, 15:33 Darks

This is really pushing things to the edge with DLC. I personally canít stand DLC. Bethesda really screwed over PC Gaming with this non sense. And these maps should have come with the game. It really bothers me when a developer feels the need to nickel and dime the users to death when things like this should have been released in the game to begin with.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

10. Re: Civilization V Map Packs Dec 1, 2010, 15:24 Verno

Well supposedly they were going to focus on patching up the game, I have no clue if that's all finished or what but the DLC so far sounds fairly underwhelming. I don't understand it either, it's not like DLC for a game like this would be difficult to make. Taking the lazy way out on DLC thats easy to produce in the first place seems just bizarre.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

9. Re: Civilization V Map Packs Dec 1, 2010, 15:19 nullability

For a game with a map editor, I was expecting something a bit more than map packs when they promised DLC... How about a new tileset? Call it nuclear wastelad and you can re-enact the battle between Caesar and the New California Republic.  

8. Re: Civilization V Map Packs Dec 1, 2010, 15:02 WyldKat

So basically they're selling something the community churns out, for free, on a regular basis....

Why not leave maps for the modders and make something WORTH paying for like new civs and new units?

7. Re: Civilization V Map Packs Dec 1, 2010, 14:46 StingingVelvet

Meh... I don't really care about this kind of stuff. I got the Americas one with my boxed copy and it wasn't great, plus you have to play it under mods and not normal.

Wake me when there's another civilization pack, or a real expansion.

6. Re: Civilization V Map Packs Dec 1, 2010, 14:46 Verno

Zyrxil wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 14:44:
Verno wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 13:55:
Did they ever release that big patch for this? It's sitting around just waiting to be played but the AI is awful and the late game performance used to be terrible. If they've fixed those things then hopefully I can actually finish a whole game now.

Don't know what 'big' patch you mean, but they're up to 5 patches so far.

The patch that the 2K rep said they were working on awhile ago to rollup the AI and other issues. I haven't been following it for awhile but I guess I should check my Steam update history when I get home. I actually really like Civ5, the hex system and a combat interface that functions well are what the franchise really needed. There are a lot of welcome UI refinements and some decent streamlining methods but the poor AI and late-game performance really ruined the experience for me.

5. Re: Civilization V Map Packs Dec 1, 2010, 14:44 Zyrxil

Verno wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 13:55:
Did they ever release that big patch for this? It's sitting around just waiting to be played but the AI is awful and the late game performance used to be terrible. If they've fixed those things then hopefully I can actually finish a whole game now.

Don't know what 'big' patch you mean, but they're up to 5 patches so far.

4. Re: Civilization V Map Packs Dec 1, 2010, 14:09 Tumbler

Hmm wonder what I get through Direct 2 Drive...nothing so far. When you purchase from D2D you are supposed to get some free DLC or something but it still say pre-order but last I'd heard it was something coming out this month.

Would love to see MP work better in this game. I want to play against other people but it's so inconsistent and nearly impossible to determine who wants to play full games and who is going to quit 5 min in.

They need a general chat lobby. And a way to signal that you're looking for a 1,2,3,4+ hour game. So many people just quit after 30 min or so and it would be so much better if it was clear that is how long they wanted to play. 1 hour games are fine, just don't join an 8 player game on a standard size map if you're only going to play for an hour.

Hell it should have a warning when you setup a game about the approx time to play. Tiny maps with 4 people are easily 2 hour games. Duel maps with 2 ppl can be 30 min games but can also be 1 hour with ease.

I don't even bother with small maps with 6+ because the game typically lags so bad that it takes an hour to get 20 turns done.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

3. Re: Civilization V Map Packs Dec 1, 2010, 14:01 eRe4s3r

The nickle and diming DLC nonsense has just begun with this, its what 2k Games is known and famous for  

2. Re: Civilization V Map Packs Dec 1, 2010, 13:55 Verno

1. Re: Civilization V Map Packs Dec 1, 2010, 13:51 gradbot

Wow, I can understand selling scenarios but charging for plane geographical maps? and why are they called map packs when they only contain a single map? I'll save my money thanks.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo