Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Stuart Black's City Interactive Shooter

Stuart Black has landed at City Interactive following the Bodycount developer's departure from Codemasters, reports Gamasutra. Word is he will head up a new U.K.-based studio to create a World War II shooter, which will likely use the CryENGINE 3, which City has recently licensed for a couple of projects. They add a short description of the project, calling it "an exciting new story-driven WWII shooter that will emphasize high adventure in a genre that's become bogged down in reverence and historical accuracy."

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Stuart Black's City Interactive Shooter Dec 1, 2010, 16:18 Cutter

A game based on Kelly's Heroes would be the awesome possum! A Bridge Too Far and/or The Great Escape would be sweet too! Yeah, I know they did one on TGE, but that was half-assed and sucked balls.

Bridge on the River Kwai would make a good sim.

And no, this genre was never bogged down, it was oversaturated. That's why people got sick of it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Stuart Black's City Interactive Shooter Dec 1, 2010, 14:58 WyldKat

Oh...another WW2 shooter....

Seriously? wtf... This is getting worse than all the Pong knockoffs back in the day.

7. Re: Stuart Black's City Interactive Shooter Dec 1, 2010, 14:15 Jdrez

UGH. If I never, ever fire another MP-40 in a video game it will be too soon.

6. Re: Stuart Black's City Interactive Shooter Dec 1, 2010, 13:37 MoreLuckThanSkill

Why in the FUCK are studios still interested in making WW2 games, let alone another FPS? Ugh.

I hope this game fails on general principle.(Nerd Rage)

5. Re: Stuart Black's City Interactive Shooter Dec 1, 2010, 13:16 CommunistHamster

You could have a WW2 game in the vein of Kelly's Heroes or Inglorious Basterds. Steal the Nazi Gold or something.

I'd like a WW2 game with more characters. Some social-game aspects on the troop ship to North Africa, around the campfires in the desert, in the bases after the campaign has finished, on the troop ship to Italy, during the occupation of italy. So many parts of the war are never touched upon in games, and so few are constantly repeated.

4. Re: Reverence and Historical Accuracy Dec 1, 2010, 12:43 StingingVelvet

Teddy wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 12:20:
I can't actually think of ANY WW2 shooters that were about historical accuracy.

Hidden and Dangerous 2?

3. Reverence and Historical Accuracy Dec 1, 2010, 12:20 Teddy

I have to wonder what games he's speaking of when he suggests WW2 games have become bogged down in reverence and historical accuracy.

A "story-driven WWII shooter that will emphasize high adventure..." sounds exactly like every recent WW2 shooter to date, CoD 1&2, both story driven, cinematic titles with big explosions and tons of epicness for the sake of epicness. MoH series was much the same, albeit a bit more of a muted storyline, not at contingent on explosions and 'OMG you almost died!' moments like CoD.

What other WW2 games were released? BF1942? That certainly wasn't about historical accuracy. Mortyr? An alternate history based game. RtCW had freaking zombies in it. The original Wolfenstein had Hitler's head on a giant mechanized body for jebus' sake.

I can't actually think of ANY WW2 shooters that were about historical accuracy. The MoH series probably came the closest but it was a longshot from actually achieving it.

The only thing I can think of that HASN'T been done yet is to make a game that's set in WWII where the story isn't actually about the war or some specific set of engagements. Show me a GTA style free roam game set in WWII, or a heist game where I'm part of a group trying to steal something expensive from the Nazi's for my own profit rather than some secret allied mission to save the world. Show me ANYTHING but another WW2 shooter that's fixated on a single allied soldier in WW2 who somehow makes the difference between winning and losing the war.

Really, that's all this sounds like to me. Another arcade WW2 shoot-em up with lots of explosions and an (EPIC x infinity) storyline where you singlehandedly save the world.

Edit: Apologies, forgot about Red Orchestra (not sure how). That could certainly be categorized as a reverent and historically accurate portrayal (or attempt thereof) of WW2 in shooter format.

2. Re: Stuart Black's City Interactive Shooter Dec 1, 2010, 11:51 Parallax Abstraction

Yeah, they're usually a shovelware developer so I'm curious if they're willing to put AAA effort and funds behind that.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

1. Re: Stuart Black's City Interactive Shooter Dec 1, 2010, 11:48 StingingVelvet

City Interactive getting press? The apocalypse must be near.  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo