Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

BitMob - Why Humor in Games Fails and How to Make It Succeed.
It's not enough just to have well-written dialogue or jokes. These days, you need voice talent that can make them sound funny. And even if your actors are solid, you need the right rhythm, cadence, and inflection -- a hard thing to pull off when many games still have tiny pauses between each character's lines. It's especially difficult in role-playing games, where you wait as you choose a line of dialogue from a conversation tree. It breaks the timing of the joke. And as any comedian will tell you, timing is everything.

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Op Ed Dec 2, 2010, 09:55 JoeNapalm

Ant wrote on Dec 2, 2010, 02:51:
JoeNapalm wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 17:07:
Link is currently down, so I haven't been able to read the article...
Link works for me.

Yeah, it's working now - and appears to be another very poorly titled article - as the article is basically a discussion of games that are funny, rather than those that are not.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Op Ed Dec 2, 2010, 02:51 Ant

JoeNapalm wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 17:07:
Link works for me.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

2. Re: Op Ed Dec 1, 2010, 17:07 JoeNapalm

Is the premise of this that humor fails in all games, or is it addressing specific instances when it does.

If it's the more general sense, I'd suggest he's playing the wrong games - plenty of games have humor that works. Heck, he cites RPGs as the most problematic...those are usually where it seems to work best.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

1. Re: Op Ed Dec 1, 2010, 11:58 Hyatus

It's especially difficult in role-playing games, where you wait as you choose a line of dialogue from a conversation tree.

Yeah, maybe if you only read as fast as a 5 year-old.

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo