Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 1, 2010, 14:29 Silicon Avatar

I use MS Security Essentials and it's been fine. It sits in the background, does its thing, and I haven't noticed any slow-downs or extra crashes because of it. Your mileage may vary of course. Every so often I'll scan with Malwarebytes just because.

If you want to pay, Nod32 is good stuff, but really there is not much reason to pay unless you are in a corporate environment.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 1, 2010, 12:43 xXBatmanXx

Do Virus Scanners Slow Down Your System?

Yes. No research needed.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 1, 2010, 12:37 Capella

I have been running a clean Windows 7 install for a little over a year now and never put AV software back on. Just last week fearing that I had picked up something I downloaded Malwarebytes and did a full scan. It found nothing at all. But I am going to try the Microsoft program and see how it does.  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 1, 2010, 12:23 Verno

Probably a testament to just how awful an experience Norton was for many people that in this day and age of multi-core systems with 4GB of ram that they still fear a virus scanner bogging down their whole machine.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 1, 2010, 11:28  Blue 

Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 10:55:
For those who don't want to read the story, contrary to "How could they not?" addendum the report says that in games the difference between having no AV installed and the having the slowest AV tested was still less than 1 FPS. So yes, install and use some kind of AV software.

Of course if you're running a scan it's going to hose your game. Schedule those for when you're gone or asleep.

Which is why a better title for the article could have been: "How much to virus scanners actually slow your system?" That's all my comment was meant to reflect.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 1, 2010, 10:55 Silicon Avatar

For those who don't want to read the story, contrary to "How could they not?" addendum the report says that in games the difference between having no AV installed and the having the slowest AV tested was still less than 1 FPS. So yes, install and use some kind of AV software.

Of course if you're running a scan it's going to hose your game. Schedule those for when you're gone or asleep.

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo