Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution Website outlines the preorder bonuses available to those who purchase Deus Ex: Human Revolution before the release of the action/RPG sequel early next year (currently listed as March 8, 2011 by various retailers). The bonus is one of two tactical packs (depending on the merchant), which offer exclusive weapons, a bonus mission, and in-game currency. Eidos also announces plans for an "Augmented Edition" of the game to sell at a $10.00 premium over the vanilla version. The Augmented Edition will include a 40-page art book, a DVD on the making of the game and more, premium packaging, and a "motion graphic novel."

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 4, 2010, 10:38 Eldaron Imotholin

I seriously thought he was talking about the "Mass Effect generation". It kinda made sense in the context. lol  

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 3, 2010, 22:08 dubfanatic

Surf wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 11:08:
The ME generation (anyone under 30 is automatically included).

You do realize that the "Me Generation" term was coined in the 1970s, before anyone younger than 30 was born, right?

signed, a 25 year old sick and tired of carrying the boomer burden

38. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 2, 2010, 19:30 Acleacius

http://www.insidetwoworlds.com/  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

37. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 2, 2010, 10:11 Eldaron Imotholin

I don't know all that. Mostly I just play games and either like them or don't.  

36. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 1, 2010, 19:40 Acleacius

Eldaron Imotholin I want to like Two Worlds I really do, the developers (in 90% of cases I blame publishers) even to this day continue to shaft fans of Two Worlds.

They have still refused to publicly release their Editor. there is some damn fan site who was given complete control over the editor. They force people to register at their site, answer some bullshit questions and they say a group at the site will decide if you can download the editor based on your answers. This not only think the fan site are a bunch of douche bags, but also the developers who allow this to continue.

They lets not forget what they happened at release of Two Worlds, instead of focusing on the game, they tried to add COOP before the game was solid. They could have easily made COOP an addon, making more money and spending more time to release the game in a solid state.

I really, really want to support these guys but .........

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

35. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 1, 2010, 19:39 wtf_man

Surf wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 12:28:
Well lets not forget that Warren "worked on" ultima underworld 1/2, thief dark project, system shock 2.

Sure... he was involved with many great games... Ultima Underworld still being one of the best dungeon crawlers ever made, IMO.

However, people change and their tastes change.

It's like <insert your favorite band here> making several great records... then after a while their is a point where most of their songs suck, and they never really get their 'edge' back.

Example, for me... Metallica from their first album through the Black album... and almost everything after that has been shit (with the exception of a few songs).

Same thing goes for Warren and LookingGlass / Ion Storm. (Actually Ion Storm)
Heck, same thing happened to iD software for the most part.
And the same thing happened to Richard Garriot from Ultima IX onward (not including UO).

So, My point is... just because at one time these guys may have been great game designers, doesn't mean that they still are. Whether they ever can be again would depend on if they ever release a hit again. iD is banking on Rage... we'll see. (And yes, I know iD isn't a person... I just don't remember who the overall designer was)

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2010, 19:46.

34. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 1, 2010, 17:06 Eldaron Imotholin

Surf, it took me quite a while to start appreciating Two Worlds II. At some point I "found" enough melee skills to level in, and combat actually became very dynamic -- especially with those counter-moves if you time them right after a parry, and the defensive move you can make if you press space and your character jumps back while slashing out with his weapon(s).

I'm a dual-wielder and the first skills I put points in were weapon-upgrading and gem-upgrading. I suggest you play around with gemming allot and DON'T spend all your skillpoints untill you've "found" the skills you find worth spending them on.

I'm on the second island now. It's much like China. The variaty in environments is awesome.

As for the "leveling up" system... there's been games that got rid of that already and I, unlike you, very much like the leveling up system. That feeling I get when my character *dings* never gets old

33. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 1, 2010, 16:00 Surf

I agree. I have been trying Two Worlds 2, UK version, and hate to say this I do not like it. I tried about 5-8 hours and I will do so again, but so far it is clunky as can be. But I am still in the beginning stages of the game and it may grow on me over time.

Still haven't tried Gothic 4, doesn't seem like I am missing much there either.

Wish someone would make the equivalent of a medieval Stalker game with serious fighting like Mount and Blade. Tired of "leveling" in games where you become so powerful NOTHING can stop you. Stalker never used levels, and throughout the entire game you could be snuffed out like a candle in the wind. Sure you got better weapons and armor, but an ambush or headshot could take you out.

I vote for getting rid of "leveling" in all games. Skills are fine, but leveling is ridiculous. Ultima Online didn't have levels, just skills, and that game had me on edge EVERY time I played. Safety in numbers too, and the ability to lose everything on your person if killed. Loved that!

32. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 1, 2010, 15:57 Eldaron Imotholin

Acleacius wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 15:23:

As far as Two Worlds 2 and The Witcher 2 I am trying to remain optimistic, we'll see.

It's nothing but ridiculous you guys don't have Two Worlds II yet. I'm like 20 hours or more in and far from finished. The game is fun!

As for The Witcher 2.... Plz, let it be good. See sig. xD

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2010, 17:00.

31. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 1, 2010, 15:23 Acleacius

Surf wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 12:28:
Well lets not forget that Warren "worked on" ultima underworld 1/2, thief dark project, system shock 2.
No big deal, but actually you mean System Shock, not Shock 2. Warren was Outside Producer on System Shock, it displays after "Salt the Fries" quote.

You know I actually agree with most everything about warren and I used to look forward to any interviews and tried to read them all. I just get so frustrated with his decisions post Dues Ex and probably sound as though he not deserving any credit for anything, which would be dumb on my part. E.g. pretty sure Warren was responsible for the initial world design idea.

Got to agree about New Vegas, it's always been apparent to me how Obsidian has been getting shafted by publishers. RPGs with choices and real consequences are the most difficult games to make, due to so many possible outcomes and testing.

I am extremely glad they got a break and were able to really shine. I am probably in the minority but I have enjoyed all of their games, just as I have enjoyed all of Troika and Piranha Bytes games as well.

As far as Two Worlds 2 and The Witcher 2 I am trying to remain optimistic, we'll see.

30. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 1, 2010, 12:28 Surf

He knew how the games should be designed and as I stated he NEVER took full credit for any of those games. Him admitting to any bad game idea's clearly shows this.

He is not a hard ass and he did cave in on some of his idea's, at least he HAD idea's that may have sounded good at the time or in conversation.

Anyways, the bottom line is that games are really getting way too casual for me.

Oh, I have to retract my Europe is making the best games, while partially true, Fallout New Vegas on Hard Core and Very Hard settings has been very European game like. I did the different types of ammo and how the better types can accelerate the degradation of the weapon, that is very System Shock 2 and Stalker like. The adult topics too have been very welcome (Child rape, torture, sex slaves, prostitutes, drugs, murder, cannibalism). It is a far darker and more adult themed game than Fallout 3 was, and I enjoy that. Hell even F3:NV makes it really difficult to choose a faction as all of them have strengths and weaknesses:

NCR - Exactly as the old world was and as we know that ended up in a nuclear disaster. Pure capitalism where greed rules.

Caesars Legion - Introducing a Darwinian approach to ruling the world. He actually has a point, there will always be masters and servants. Trying to make everyone equal will never work so use people for what they are good at, be it a soldier, slave, scientist etc.

Mr. House - Brilliant, arrogant, with wonderful idea's of bringing back the human race to power in a different way, and having the brains and muscle to do it too! So far I have decided to team up with Mr. House rather than destroy him as I am not smart enough to pull off what he wants to accomplish with humanity.

Also Fallout 3 and Fallout NV had great, classic collectors editions with very little DLC/Digital content. I mean the F3 box I have has a friggin digital clock in it, a metal lunch box, F:NV has a metal chip, a deck of cards. That is Origin style old school like the old Ultima's and Moebius.

Even the collectors edition of Stalker SoC is in a metal tin and the Russian Clear Sky is a huge box with, get this, a WORKING LIGHTER, cloth maps, a glow in the dark ball, iron on patches, a full paperback book! I got that one too off ebay, but its all in Russian.

Classic style games like the above are just getting harder to come by. Sucks man, I really wish people would craft their games as they did in the old days as well as the physical content.

29. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 1, 2010, 12:00 Eldaron Imotholin

Surf wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 11:08:
Look to Europe for your best games, America is dead gaming and movie wise.

Truer words have not been spoken. Two Worlds II is right about the only game that manages to entertain me this year, and it's freaking LONG! Oh, and it's german! And The Witcher 2 is the only game I'm looking forward to now (no idea what else to look forward to, tbh).

Europe ftw.

PS & off-topic: And if some of you who played AC-Brotherhood lol'ed when that dude said he thinks the whole of europe is a third-world country... crawl back under your rock, plz

28. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 1, 2010, 11:54 Acleacius

warren has publicly stated he and harvey fought against many of the things that made Deus Ex so successful and beloved. Also they both fought to include many ridiculous ideas, which they stuffed into DX 2, which was at least in part, the reason it was a fail. E.g. Eye Inventory and Universal Ammo.

I remember hearing of epic fights (warren has even talked about this) between two groups, trying to develop Deus Ex. Fortunately for the gaming world, warren and harvey lost most of the battles.

Imo, warren and harvey have been on PR campaign, trying to create a revisionist history in which they are the good guys, since DX2. Next you will probably be hearing about them oil bathing and annotating each other as kings.

27. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 1, 2010, 11:08 Surf

I've met and barely worked with Warren when I was at Eidos 99-2000. He was a great guy, we hit it off and talked for about 2.5-3 hours, nearly agreeing on everything (Except Tresspasser which I thought had potential, he hated all of it). He then asked me to come to Austin to work on this game Deus Ex, I declined as I was living in SF and working on Thief around then (At looking Glass, when I was there for 2 weeks, they showed me this little game called System Shock 2, hahaa, loved it!)

Anyways, after my long winded intro, Warren has NEVER taken full credit for Deus Ex. He is extremely modest and humble and would often talk about his Team and why they worked so well, took risks etc. etc.

Those days are gone people. So many risky development studio's have gone out of business and now it's all about cheap, boring, simple, repetitive games for the dumbest generation of all time: The ME generation (anyone under 30 is automatically included).

DE Human Rev will probably be visually stunning, but it has do be fucking dumb enough to cater to as many people as possible. Little girls, black kids, white kids, asian kids, mommy and daddy's no violence and sex approval. Basically much like the movie industry.

No one makes games to a particular group these days, say 30-40, in America. The last game I played that DID do this was Stalker, specifically aimed at adults and being totally unappologetic about it.

Look to Europe for your best games, America is dead gaming and movie wise.

26. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 1, 2010, 09:17 wtf_man

sauron wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 08:50:
Also, the designer isn't Warren Spector. It's some french dude I haven't heard of before. At least it's not Harvey Smith, I guess.

Unfortunately, Warren has gone to the Darkside too. He supported Harvey's consolitus decisions and pretty much designed Epic Mickey for consoles (Not that that is a bad thing... but does show he's a console sell-out too).

Someone mentioned no skills. No skills... not an RPG / Shooter hybrid... not Deus Ex.... No Sale, here.

25. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 1, 2010, 08:50 sauron

Also, the designer isn't Warren Spector. It's some french dude I haven't heard of before. At least it's not Harvey Smith, I guess.  

Kittens!

24. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 1, 2010, 08:46 sauron

Not touching this until I see at least 5 reviews giving it over 90%, from sites I actually know and trust.

DX1 was good but the sequel was truly appalling.

Kittens!

23. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 1, 2010, 08:36 Acleacius

You had me at "Black & Golden Theme" what better colors to create the mood of Desperation and Loss of Humanity!

What REAL fan could possibly resist these awesome extras, not one but two EXTREME weapons packages designed especially for the nonviolent, stealthy, diplomatic player!

Do not get me started on the additional quests, damn a six extra hours of questing goodness for just a few dollars more, it's the foundation of RPG greatness!

Of course the greatest part of this package is knowing ceo phil rogers and lead designer jean-françois dugas love this franchise so much they will personally come to every gamers house who buy one to *low them.

It's unprecedented, two *low jobs with each preorder!

22. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 1, 2010, 07:49 rist3903

Invisible war was a good game in it's own right though.

I kid. I heard what was going on with that game and avoided it as I would a terrible movie sequel.

I will not encourage people to push out drek.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2010, 07:55.

21. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preorders & Augmented Edition Dec 1, 2010, 07:20 StingingVelvet

Also to be fair every game is sold on the action parts.  

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo