Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA on Mirror's Edge

Develop has an excerpt from their interview with Frank Gibeau, president of EA Games. Frank is frank about the shortcomings of Mirror's Edge, DICE's parkour game. "First-person parkour across buildings is fun, but to be blunt, Mirror's Edge's execution fell short," he tells them. "There were issues with the learning curve, the difficulty, the narrative, and then there was no multiplayer either. The key learning from us was that if you’re going to be bold with that kind of concept, you need to take it as far as it can go in development."

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Dec 2, 2010, 10:18 Ant

Verno wrote on Dec 2, 2010, 10:11:
Ant wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 14:00:
So where did you see it for five bucks?

Any DD service during a promotional event. It's been on sale on Steam three times in the past year, D2D a few times and so on. I usually save up a little list of games that I want but I'm not sure about buying then I buy those during DD sales for super cheap, you might consider doing the same. Just a suggestion anyways, good way to save money and unfortunately the demo thing doesn't seem to be reversing itself these days.
Thanks.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Dec 2, 2010, 10:11 Verno

Ant wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 14:00:

Any DD service during a promotional event. It's been on sale on Steam three times in the past year, D2D a few times and so on. I usually save up a little list of games that I want but I'm not sure about buying then I buy those during DD sales for super cheap, you might consider doing the same. Just a suggestion anyways, good way to save money and unfortunately the demo thing doesn't seem to be reversing itself these days. A DD RSS feed is good way to keep track of that stuff that doesn't require much effort if you are time constrained.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2010, 10:18.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

38. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Dec 1, 2010, 14:00 Ant

Verno wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 13:57:
They aren't going to put out a demo for a 2 year old game at this point and $5 is pretty cheap for a AAA produced title so /shrug. I mean I respect you standing by your principles but honestly I can think of few games that aren't worth $5 even for the time constrained.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

37. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Dec 1, 2010, 13:57 Verno

They aren't going to put out a demo for a 2 year old game at this point and $5 is pretty cheap for a AAA produced title so /shrug. I mean I respect you standing by your principles but honestly I can think of few games that aren't worth $5 even for the time constrained.  

36. Re: Demo? Dec 1, 2010, 10:35 Ant

Verno wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 10:25:
Ant wrote on Nov 30, 2010, 21:56:
Why no playable demo? Grr!

The game is regularly $5 on sale, good grief.
Bah, I want a free sampler and am cheap! No cost! I did play the 2D version. It was alright.

Just in case others are interested, where did you see it for five bucks? http://www.amazon.com/Mirrors-Edge-Pc/dp/B00198ZHC8/ isn't five bucks for Windows/PC.

35. Re: Demo? Dec 1, 2010, 10:25 Verno

Ant wrote on Nov 30, 2010, 21:56:

The game is regularly $5 on sale, good grief.

34. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Dec 1, 2010, 03:32 Reactor

Mirror's Edge was, without a doubt, the most memorable game I've played in years. Some parts of it was frustrating, but the game was so fresh and unique that I easily overlooked the parts I did not like.

I agree with this, although I really didn't run into any frustrating bits. The parts I couldn't get past I considered a challenge and stuck at until they were beaten. And, I revelled in the challenge of it all.

A very memorable game, though.

33. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Dec 1, 2010, 03:14 Muscular Beaver

Jerykk wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 02:26:
*sigh* this will turn into a completely dumbed down console series...

Err, it was a console series to begin with. That said, if they do make a sequel, I'm sure they will dumb it down.

Yes it was, but still it felt pretty good on the PC. A very good port. Now it will be dumbed down so that it truly feels like some POS console game.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

32. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Dec 1, 2010, 02:26 Jerykk

*sigh* this will turn into a completely dumbed down console series...

Err, it was a console series to begin with. That said, if they do make a sequel, I'm sure they will dumb it down.

31. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Dec 1, 2010, 02:14 Muscular Beaver

WTF? Difficult? High learning curve?
*sigh* this will turn into a completely dumbed down console series... It had so much promise and was one of the best of its year...

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

30. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Nov 30, 2010, 23:44 Jerykk

Yet another myopic exec who doesn't get it. Why must everything have MP slapped on it? Particularly when it's not even conducive to the game, like in this case.

To be fair, I think multiplayer could work in ME. One team of runners trying to deliver a package, the other team of police trying to stop them. Or it could be like rabbit, where one player tries to hold on to the package as long as possible before someone else takes it. Learning the maps and perfecting your traversal skills would be the focus of the game.

29. Demo? Nov 30, 2010, 21:56 Ant

28. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Nov 30, 2010, 21:27 Bumpy

Agree with most here, ME was fresh and fully enjoyable. It also was way too short and had some wonky combat bits.

Bring on MEdge2.

27. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Nov 30, 2010, 19:02 tony

Mirror's Edge was, without a doubt, the most memorable game I've played in years. Some parts of it was frustrating, but the game was so fresh and unique that I easily overlooked the parts I did not like.  

26. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Nov 30, 2010, 16:53 fatguy

I loved this game and although I enjoy a wide variety of games this one didn't have a lot of the flaws I find in most. It was excellent. The difficulty was refreshing and not stupid easy, it had a variety of ways you could handle situations, the chase parts and combat were intense when done fluidly, and although the story wasn't amazing it was still better than a lot of other games. I played it like a month or two ago and was amazed at how much I liked it compared to reviews I had read on its release.

Running up a wall, jumping off the roof to pounce on top of a guard, pickup up his gun, fire a few shots at another guard, drop it, and then jump across to another building all while a helicopter is chasing you was innntense.

25. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Nov 30, 2010, 16:25 Cutter

Yet another myopic exec who doesn't get it. Why must everything have MP slapped on it? Particularly when it's not even conducive to the game, like in this case.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

24. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Nov 30, 2010, 14:40 Jim

Mirrors edge was mostly fine. it brought a lot of the 2D arcade jumping concepts to 3D, and some of the moves are obscure and frustrating. The shift to a weapon fps added some more confusion.

I think the execution needed some refinement. I also found the MP challenges to be interesting but abandoned them once I saw the leaderboards were nothing but cheats and hacks.

The game did not need MP. It needed a solid and well executed SP. Think Assassins Creed but with solid colors in a futuristic setting.

But now everything has to work in either a squad setting or a pvp setting. I think that is unfortunate since the execution for a lot of these modes is lacking. I'd much rater see the time and money spent in making the SP game better rather than having MP modes nobody will ever play.

23. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Nov 30, 2010, 14:28 Doc4

The setting and feel of Mirror's Edge reached out to me on a positive emotional level that no other game has done before or since.

The spartan cleanliness and the soundtrack struck a chord with me. Man, each time Introduction.mp3 kicks in on iTunes I get all giddy and wistful.

22. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Nov 30, 2010, 13:22 Dr. D. Schreber

I like how he says "there was no multiplayer, either." Multiplayer is not a required feature, buddy. If you want to actually fix the game's problems, adding multiplayer just because ZOMG EVERYTHING HAS TO HAVE MULTIPLAYER is not going to do that.

I very much enjoyed Mirror's Edge, and it saddened me that poor word of mouth from morons who can't navigate environments that aren't copy-pasted one room to the next killed its reputation. I don't think even the combat itself was problematic; it only became as such when the level designers suddenly started smoking crack in a few places near the end and forced you into combat with large groups, in small rooms, with nowhere to run like you could when you were ambushed on the rooftops.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

21. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Nov 30, 2010, 13:14 StaTik

Mirrors Edge had a learning curve?

My thoughts exactly.

That's really the issue with games these days isn't it? Most real PC gamers have phased out and now what we are left with are a bunch of corn fed XO controller pansies that think gaming is mashing a couple buttons over and over. Hell the new NFS doesn't even have an option for manual transmission how gay is that?

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo