Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rift Beta Friday

Trion Worlds sends a reminder that, as promised, three days of closed beta testing will kick off on Friday for RIFT, their upcoming MMORPG. The test will kick off at 18:00 GMT on December 3, offering the chance to play the game's first 20 levels, PvP combat, and more. There's still time to sign up for an account, which includes the chance of being selected as a tester.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Rift Beta Friday Nov 30, 2010, 00:43 Ant

WyldKat wrote on Nov 29, 2010, 22:16:
I'm signed up for beta apparently but I have no idea why I signed up in the first place. It looks like a typical Korean MMO and I don't really see anything that sets it apart.
So did I. Screen shots looked nice, but I wasn't sure if the game would be good so I am using beta as a sampler if I get in.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Rift Beta Friday Nov 30, 2010, 00:37 Esoteric

I signed up for the beta (like I do for most MMOs), just to try it out. I don't know much about the game, but it seems like they've stated that they're focusing more on PvE than PvP. Not sure where all the hate is coming from unless you've actually played it (I haven't).

As for using the beta as a marketing tool as opposed to testing purposes, it's quite easy to do both.

5. Re: Rift Beta Friday Nov 30, 2010, 00:28 Kobalt

Never have I seen a company so shamelessly use a beta as a marketing tool rather than, you know, for people to test stuff. You essentially have to prove you are a fanboy to get in, assuring that the game will never get useful critical feedback.

Not that the game has a real chance anyway. The 2 gimmicks are rifts that no one will care about a few months after launch. and then theres the make your own class thing that will likely work out to the same as wow's talent trees. You wanna pvp? spec this way. pve? spec this way, people aren't actually going to be able to play what they want past easy content.

4. Re: Rift Beta Friday Nov 29, 2010, 23:52 Cutter

Dynamic? LOL! The rifts spawn dynamically yeah, but that's the extent of it. So once the rift is shut down that's it. So it's really just a game of CTF that never ends. Rift opens. Close the rift. Rift opens. Close the rift. Wow, big whoop. These guys are trying to be WoW 2.0 with a few twists, plain and simple. And so far they've only had 30k people register for beta. Not good for a game they're dropping 100 mil on. Hence why I say F2P in no time flat.
Their retarded marketing people are a big part of that.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

3. Re: Rift Beta Friday Nov 29, 2010, 23:17 jsmith

WyldKat wrote on Nov 29, 2010, 22:16:
I'm signed up for beta apparently but I have no idea why I signed up in the first place. It looks like a typical Korean MMO and I don't really see anything that sets it apart.

Really? Korean MMO? The game looks like a Vanguard / WoW hybrid with a sprinkling of EQ2 (maybe that's just the Hartsman factor). How do you come up with Korean MMO? Korean MMOs are Rising Force Online, Maple Story, 2Moons, Asda Story, et cetera. You may not care for the game, but at least be realistic about its appearance.

As for what will set it apart, the dynamic solo / group / raid content in the form of rifts (on top of regular group and raid dungeons) seems like a unique concept. At the very least, it's a step in the right direction from Warhammer's PQ system. Also having NPC factions warring with eachother seems like a neat feature.

2. Re: Rift Beta Friday Nov 29, 2010, 22:16 WyldKat

1. Re: Rift Beta Friday Nov 29, 2010, 21:06 Cutter

Worst handled beta ever. This game will be F2P in no time flat.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo