Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crytek on PCs versus Consoles

Computer and Video Games hears from Crytek boss Cervat Yerli, who points out something the PC gamers are well aware of, that the current console generation is holding back games from taking advantage of the greater capabilities of current gaming PCs. "PC is easily a generation ahead right now. With 360 and PS3, we believe the quality of the games beyond Crysis 2 and other CryEngine developments will be pretty much limited to what their creative expressions is, what the content is. You won't be able to squeeze more juice from these rocks," he tells them. "I generally think it's still developers' mentality [to blame]. A lot nowadays don't consider PC a big issue any more; their [sales] expectations are nowhere near what they are for the console versions. Until the PC market creates comparable revenues, companies are not going to spend enough on the PC SKU of a game." Thanks joao.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

67. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Dec 1, 2010, 20:53 JohnnyRotten

Verno wrote on Nov 27, 2010, 10:02:
People also exaggerate it's success quite often, I've heard everything from "it makes 900k a day!!" to "Notch is a millionaire driving a ferrari thanks to Minecraft" on forums.

In 561 days since its release, he's sold 682,163 copies at 9.95 EU each. That's about 8.75 million US total, averaging around 15,000 US a day.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

66. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 28, 2010, 19:06 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Nov 27, 2010, 23:03:
ASeven wrote on Nov 27, 2010, 10:10:
Ah, so he started hiring and renting the offices? Thought it was his plan for the future, not that he had already applied those plans into motion.

I don't follow Minecraft stuff anymore so I have no idea how far along he is but a cursory glance at his blog reveals a post from an employee and pictures of what looks like an office so I assume so.

Yeah he has an office and employees now as of Halloween I believe.

65. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 27, 2010, 23:03 Verno

ASeven wrote on Nov 27, 2010, 10:10:
Ah, so he started hiring and renting the offices? Thought it was his plan for the future, not that he had already applied those plans into motion.

I don't follow Minecraft stuff anymore so I have no idea how far along he is but a cursory glance at his blog reveals a post from an employee and pictures of what looks like an office so I assume so.

His average of revenue up until a few weeks ago was indeed between $100 and $150K per day.

No it wasn't, his sales are all over the place. Sometimes high when he gets a lot of press and sometimes as low as 25k. Again I'm not trying to deride Minecraft, it's a successful niche title which is quite an accomplishment considering the economy and it's modest origins. People love to exaggerate the shit out of its numbers though and it pushes my accuracy OCD buttons

I agree that Minecraft is one of the very rare exceptions. What I think will happen though is that these exceptions will, with time, become more and more the norm. Put a good idea, a good game in an attractive package or price and you'll have buyers.

I hope that happens too but Minecraft is an outlier, it is essentially lego for both a newer and older generation. It's rare to find that kind of success with multiple demographics in an indie setting without sticking to low budget puzzle type games. Put differently, there have been few barriers of entry to the indie scene for years already and we still only have the rare occurrences of runaway success.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

64. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 27, 2010, 10:10 ASeven

No he's not, he now has employees, an office and all of the associated costs and expenses that go along with it.

That link is a 404 but I'll take your word for it having a sales spike every now and then. Regardless, there's a big difference between making 350k in a single day and making 150k every day of the year. Again Minecraft is a runaway indie success, no doubt. However I think it's fair to say it's an exception to the rule, not the norm. People also exaggerate it's success quite often, I've heard everything from "it makes 900k a day!!" to "Notch is a millionaire driving a ferrari thanks to Minecraft" on forums.

Well, let me link you to some sources then that reported on that success.

His average of revenue up until a few weeks ago was indeed between $100 and $150K per day. Even with the offices and personnel, that's quite a lot of money that a game can make per day.

I agree that Minecraft is one of the very rare exceptions. What I think will happen though is that these exceptions will, with time, become more and more the norm. Put a good idea, a good game in an attractive package or price and you'll have buyers. If HoS, NS2, PC and all those new indies catch the interest of PC gamers we may start to see more and more indie authors doing as well, or almost as well, as Minecraft's author. A combination of low price, good product, excellent community support and maybe even good production values will no doubt attract more and more gamers into the indie community.

63. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 27, 2010, 10:02 Verno

ASeven wrote on Nov 27, 2010, 08:13:
Verno wrote on Nov 27, 2010, 02:03:
How about dozens of indies, Minecraft being one doing $150K per day, often more?

Minecraft doesn't make 150k a day, I took a look at the stats page and it made 55k assuming that every registered copy he claims is a sale actually is one. Is it a successful title? Of course and its well deserved.

Hrm, sales must have dropped then. Still, $55K is quite respectable for a single day, especially for an indie title. That's $55K of profit since he's a one-man team still without any significant costs.

No he's not, he now has employees, an office and all of the associated costs and expenses that go along with it.

Ah crap, the daily sales site has been taken down it seems, it was located here: http://m00d.net/minecraft/sales/ That's where I took most of the data, there were days where he actually made $350K.

That link is a 404 but I'll take your word for it having a sales spike every now and then. Regardless, there's a big difference between making 350k in a single day and making 150k every day of the year. Again Minecraft is a runaway indie success, no doubt. However I think it's fair to say it's an exception to the rule, not the norm. People also exaggerate it's success quite often, I've heard everything from "it makes 900k a day!!" to "Notch is a millionaire driving a ferrari thanks to Minecraft" on forums.

62. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 27, 2010, 08:24 ASeven

loomy wrote on Nov 27, 2010, 00:16:
ASeven wrote on Nov 25, 2010, 20:19:
How about dozens of indies, Minecraft being one doing $150K per day, often more?

he had two points and I dont think minecraft's existence helps either. sorry.

big companies exist to make big profit, and all else being equal, console games make the biggest profit. the end

And yet Minecraft's existence proves that an indie, even a simple one with horrid graphics, can make money on the PC on a scale that not even a console game can match. I don't see why the existence of indies, which are evolving into developing better and more polished games, cannot deny the fact that the PC market is not only viable, it's profitable. Even if big companies abandon the PC market, which they won't, the fact that indie games are making a killing means it's perfectly profitable to make games for the PC market as long as you understand the needs of PC gamers.

StingingVelvet, the future of PC gaming pretty much depends on the success of the first wave of high-polished, AAA-quality indies like Red Orchestra 2 and Natural Selection 2. If the developers make a good sum of revenue from those games then this will tell all other developers out there who were on the fence that the PC market is profitable for indie games with good quality and production values. We might see a lot of indie titles starting to be developed if the first wave is successful financially. If it isn't, well, won't take an analyst to predict what the future of PC gaming will be.

Depending on how these big projects in terms of development and costs, for an indie that is, indies will fare, so will the future of PC gaming fare. A success in terms of sales will send a clear sign that indies have a good chance in the PC and that will attract more indies to the PC, with the result more and more interesting and big projects will be made. This will lead PC gaming back to its roots. The question is, will they be successful? Will PC gamers cast aside their misconceptions of indies and actually give these titles a chance? Time will tell.

61. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 27, 2010, 08:13 ASeven

Verno wrote on Nov 27, 2010, 02:03:

Minecraft doesn't make 150k a day, I took a look at the stats page and it made 55k assuming that every registered copy he claims is a sale actually is one. Is it a successful title? Of course and its well deserved.

Hrm, sales must have dropped then. Still, $55K is quite respectable for a single day, especially for an indie title. That's $55K of profit since he's a one-man team still without any significant costs.

Ah crap, the daily sales site has been taken down it seems, it was located here: http://m00d.net/minecraft/sales/ That's where I took most of the data, there were days where he actually made $350K.

60. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 27, 2010, 02:03 Verno

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2010, 02:11.

59. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 27, 2010, 00:16 loomy

ASeven wrote on Nov 25, 2010, 20:19:
loomy wrote on Nov 25, 2010, 20:14:
unless you want every pc game to be starcraft or an mmorpg, blizzard's success does not prove your point

he had two points and I dont think minecraft's existence helps either. sorry.

big companies exist to make big profit, and all else being equal, console games make the biggest profit. the end

58. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 26, 2010, 20:58 StingingVelvet

ASeven wrote on Nov 26, 2010, 07:25:
This is one of the biggest misconceptions of today's indie scene, that most indies want to go work for a publisher.

Pretty sure it depends, and is at least half and half. There is also the fact that unfortunately the PC is not the only home for indie projects... the iPad/Phone/Pod is taking a lot of indie attention away from the PC for instance.

I mean don't get me wrong, games like Dead State are what keeps me optimistic for PC gaming, but I don't think it is some rosy indie future where we get a ton of Quake 2 and Baldur's Gate style games with Xbox level graphics. I think those will remain few and far between.

57. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 26, 2010, 14:34 scarlet

Kind of hard to do when you have an unlevel playing field. The console market is more lucrative all around because of...

1) The giant marketing machines of Sony and Microsoft (through HW sales and all the royalties from every game sold).
2) Shafting PC gamers with delayed launches for PC versions.
2) Designing games to lowest common denominator (the consoles) and not utilizing anywhere near the capabilities of the far superior PC. If they leveraged the PCs power everyone could see for themselves they much improved visuals and performance.

Turn the tables on all of these issues and things would change overnight. Not going to happen though. I will choose a better and superior (and cheaper) platform. Screw the consoles and MS and Sony who offer much less value for the gaming dollar.

56. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 26, 2010, 12:17 Pigeon

I'd be willing to bet a larger percentage of console gamers are kids as opposed to PC gamers. I'd also be willing to bet kids aren't as picky as adult gamers as to what they buy. Show them a flashy advert and they're sold.

I think part of the problem with AAA PC titles is developers are working on the same premise, that they can get away with releasing crap and have it still sell. Or maybe its because flashy graphics is something that can be sold to the business majors that run the companies in a 15 minute presentation, while truly good game-play isn't a concept that's easy to get across.

InBlack wrote on Nov 26, 2010, 07:38:
The fact of the matter remains that console games sell...

In fact its ridiculous how well they sell, pretty much any piece of shit released on a console today will sell well, can anyone recall an AAA console title that acutally bombed????

Piracy is an excuse. PC ports of console games rarely sell well because either they are shitty ports, or the core game is shitty in and of itself....why that is beats me...I guess PC gamers actually require their games to be fun and interesting?

I have no problem with console ports as long as they are good games and the ports are fairly well done. With that said this is something that is very rare in the industry today because pretty much everyone has caught on to the idea that the only things that matter are production values and marketing......and gameplay be damned......

55. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 26, 2010, 07:38 InBlack

The fact of the matter remains that console games sell...

In fact its ridiculous how well they sell, pretty much any piece of shit released on a console today will sell well, can anyone recall an AAA console title that acutally bombed????

Piracy is an excuse. PC ports of console games rarely sell well because either they are shitty ports, or the core game is shitty in and of itself....why that is beats me...I guess PC gamers actually require their games to be fun and interesting?

I have no problem with console ports as long as they are good games and the ports are fairly well done. With that said this is something that is very rare in the industry today because pretty much everyone has caught on to the idea that the only things that matter are production values and marketing......and gameplay be damned......

I have a nifty blue line!

54. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 26, 2010, 07:25 ASeven

Jerykk wrote on Nov 26, 2010, 07:03:
It's a bit frustrating to see that people still associate indies with those type of games when in truth indies are becoming associated with these games instead:

Unfortunately, none of the games you linked have actually been released yet. The fact remains that the vast majority of indie games are low-budget games with low production values, which in turn limits the kind of genres they can fit in. This is why most indie games are 2D platformers or puzzle games.

While I would love to believe that games like Natural Selection 2, Red Orchestra 2 or Amnesia will become the norm for indies, I'm not going to hold my breath. Also keep in mind that many of these devs are only indie because they lack the funding or connections to sign a project with a big publisher. I believe the Amnesia devs even said in an interview that they want to make console games.

Though you are quite correct on your first assessment, the vast majority of indies that have been released are puzzle games and the like with one or two notable exceptions, like Amnesia, I will disagree with the second. Indies, most of them anyway, make a point of not wanting to go work for a publisher, many even want and have gone multi and remained indie.

This is one of the biggest misconceptions of today's indie scene, that most indies want to go work for a publisher. The opposite is actually true, most indies want to remain indie and have no ties to publishers, either because many are made by devs that worked in the industry and fled from it and do not wish to return to it, ever, or by young people who see the industry for the mess it is and think, I might have better luck striking on my own, and more often than not they do. The Indies of today differ from the past because today indies truly want to become independent and for indies, and many have made statements of this kind, earning lots of money is something they don't want, they only want to earn enough money to live decently, most do not want to be filthy rich.

Natural Selection 2 and Heroes of Stalingrad will be the first wave of this new kind of indies and two very important releases that may shape the future of indies, since they may make gamers perceive indies as good as AAA games or they may fail and indies will be perceived as puzzle games for a long time. I'm betting on the former though, Tripwire knows what they're doing and Natural Selection 2 has opened up beta pre-orders which has been met with success.

I think PC gaming is ready for a paradigm change and HoS and NS2 may be the games to pave it.

53. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 26, 2010, 07:13 frag.machine

Jerykk wrote on Nov 25, 2010, 16:12:
Yeah, it has nothing to do with the quality of the games and that PC gamers are less forgiving. Yeah, there's no way you can make money on the PC, I mean Blizzard has proven that time and time again what an utter waste of money it is trying to put forth PC titles.

The problem is that it's much easier to make money on consoles. Pretty much any game with nice graphics and sufficient marketing can sell 1 million units on consoles. Selling 1 million units of a PC exclusive generally requires a much better game.

Yeah, Minecraft is a good example.

52. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 26, 2010, 07:03 Jerykk

It's a bit frustrating to see that people still associate indies with those type of games when in truth indies are becoming associated with these games instead:

Unfortunately, none of the games you linked have actually been released yet. The fact remains that the vast majority of indie games are low-budget games with low production values, which in turn limits the kind of genres they can fit in. This is why most indie games are 2D platformers or puzzle games.

While I would love to believe that games like Natural Selection 2, Red Orchestra 2 or Amnesia will become the norm for indies, I'm not going to hold my breath. Also keep in mind that many of these devs are only indie because they lack the funding or connections to sign a project with a big publisher. I believe the Amnesia devs even said in an interview that they want to make console games.

51. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 26, 2010, 07:02 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Nov 25, 2010, 22:47:
Uuuh... no. Not in Europe they aren't anyway, most average laptops in Europe kick any console in terms of graphical and processing power and I think the same can be said for the US.

Uhhhh... no. Integrated graphics.

Odd. The average laptop in Europe has this kind of graphic cards into it, GT310M, or better. Though this is by far anything close to decent people over here tend to buy expensive laptops, and some even get gaming laptops, which often brings great graphical capabilities. But I'll have to concede on this one, I was thinking the 310s had more power than what they really have so people are buying laptops with weak graphics solutions. A shame.

50. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 26, 2010, 06:54 ASeven

durandal wrote on Nov 25, 2010, 22:12:
yeah, a fun indie game is good and all but what I truly want to play is a fun AAA title that can take advantage of my gaming PC.
That's why I don't want to regard Farmville/Popcap/World of Goo as the "future of PC gaming" (Besides many of those casual games are available on consoles as well.).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYEgJUPjSz4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv0wjS3nvso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpf0pWpW63w

Or games like Amnesia which even though it was a very niche game, it was considered the best of its kind, the best at what it does. I'm talking about these kind of indies, not puzzle-game indies. I'm talking about indies that can and will easily rival any AAA production out there, Farmville and Goo be damned.

49. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 26, 2010, 00:29 Dev

The 5 year old consoles with essentially obsolete hardware holding back game development (keeping them on a plateau) is why you can build a gaming computer for less than $400 nowadays. Throw in a cheap dual/quad core CPU, and a sale on a cheap $50 graphics card (that can still do 1080p gaming on many games, with decent details), and thats the main components of a gaming computer.

Used to be you had to spend a significant fraction of $1000 because of the high end graphics card needed.

bigspender wrote on Nov 25, 2010, 16:51:
the thing is, that every home in a developed country has at least 1 pc (and sometimes up to 3 if you count laptops).

make a game that will exploit that market and it'll shit all over console sales.
Yeah, and they do, all the time. Its called casual games. Unfortunately, most of those 3 PC's (desktops or laptops) just have integrated graphics, and so are incapable of running games too much more advanced than casual.
If intel would get off their behind and make a decent integrated graphics chipset that would run games even at low graphics and medium resolutions, that could change the industry. I mean consider how much improvement you can get putting $50 card from a decent sale into a computer compared to integrated.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2010, 00:44.

48. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 25, 2010, 23:07 durandal

Uhhhh... no. Integrated graphics.
same here in Japan. the mainstream "Integrated Graphics" laptop can't even handle Half-Life 2 with good enough FPS/resolution.

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo