Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Safety Dance

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 24, 2010, 11:16 osage no onna

I've gone AV-free apart from periodic scans for the last 15 years and have never had a virus. I'm sure a part of that is just luck, since as V for Verno said not everything is necessarily avoidable even if you're careful, but for a moderately tech-savvy user always-on AV seems pretty unnecessary in my experience.

I did recently install Panda Cloud AV though since it's so unobtrusive that you'll never know it's there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 23, 2010, 23:40 Sepharo

Nucas wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 23:05:
i've never had antivirus software running on my system. the most extreme i've ever gotten was running firewall software to micromanage ports, which i now do with my router anyway.

my protection system is quite comprehensive:
don't do anything stupid.
keep an eye on the running process list and it's tally once or twice a week (from a fresh install of windows to my regular software, the tally is always 30)
use opera since 2002, the most unpopular browser on the planet.
check windows update once a month.

wow! amazing! i do periodically scan (we're talking like once a year) my system and have never found anything remiss. i also format once a year or two just out of habit. also, fuck norton.

Pretty much my method bit for bit (except Opera).

2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 23, 2010, 23:37 Verno

Nucas wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 23:05:
i've never had antivirus software running on my system. the most extreme i've ever gotten was running firewall software to micromanage ports, which i now do with my router anyway.

keep an eye on the running process list and it's tally once or twice a week (from a fresh install of windows to my regular software, the tally is always 30)

wow! amazing! i do periodically scan (we're talking like once a year) my system and have never found anything remiss. i also format once a year or two just out of habit. also, fuck norton.

Virus scanners have come a long way from the days of Norton. If you aren't running anything then you don't really know if you are or have been infected. Viruses these days are mainly trojans and other forms of malware that have multiple methods of helping their authors make money. They actively avoid detection, at least the intelligently constructed ones do. They are not like how they used to be made. A lot of malware is fairly insidious and won't just show up as asgdhisahgaihsgsa.exe in your task manager or something silly.

I'm not saying you have to run out and grab whatever the latest commercial anti-virus is but there are some decent options that don't have a resource impact on your system. At the worst people should grab a free active scanner and just run it once a year if they really insist on going rambo (as you said which is smart). Either way, we are past the days where a user is safe with safe usage practices alone. Even if you are up on your patches there are plenty of zero days that still float around all the time. Frankly the only thing that's probably saved you so far is the proliferation of NAT which is sort of an inadvertent protection method for many. All of the stuff you mentioned are certainly positive factors but unfortunately don't account for things like USB drives or infected files from trusted sources like driver manufacturers. Several well known OEMs have put out infected driver updates for example. You don't always have to do something "wrong" to get malware.

Anyways food for thought, feel free to discard it but remember that being ignorant of something doesn't mean it isn't there. Unless you literally take md5 sums of system binaries once a week and in that case I applaud your paranoia

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 23, 2010, 23:05 Nucas

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo