Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Mafia II - Joe's Adventures

Steam News announces Mafia II - Joe's Adventures is now available, a DLC pack with additional content for Mafia II, the open-world life-of-crime sequel from 2K Games. Here's the deal on this offer you may not be able to refuse: "Play as Joe in this new add-on content. In this extension to the original story of Mafia II, Joe uncovers who had Vito sent to prison and what really went down with the Clemente family. In addition to the expanded story, players can explore new locations and get new cars and clothing in dozens of city-based quests. Plus, online leader boards allow players to battle for the highest scores."

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mafia II - Joe's Adventures Nov 24, 2010, 01:57 StingingVelvet

So yeah, the way this goes is this:

Step 1) Mafia 2 style story mission with great environments, cutscenes and immersion. Usually in out of the way places so there's no cop issues.

Step 2) Tons of little mini-missions that have no story, no special areas or cinematics, no immersion other than just driving around and cops fucking everywhere.

Step 3) Repeat step one.

Step 4) Repeat step two.

Etc., etc..

It's not bad, the story missions are excellent but the mini-missions can be annoying. I kind of wish it was just the 5 story missions for half the price.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mafia II - Joe's Adventures Nov 23, 2010, 23:57 spindoctor

I've seen a few other people complain about the driving as well. Some say it's realistic, others say it's bad. I didn't notice either way while playing the game, so I guess I'd say it was fine for me.

Now 2K did a strange kind of promotion the other day.. Something like the Giantbomb quicklook for their DLC, except that they played the first hour of Joe's Adventures, along with some narration. The video is here if anyone is interested...

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/11029383

Here's the thing though.. The way I see it.. if you are at all interested in buying this DLC, why would you want to watch the first hour of it and spoil it for yourself? It's not even a demo which you play yourself, you're just watching a video. And if you're not interested in the DLC, then why would even bother to watch it? I guess my point is... who is this video made for, especially considering it's for DLC which cannot be that long in the first place?

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mafia II - Joe's Adventures Nov 23, 2010, 22:15 Sepharo

I wonder if he's playing with the easy driving mode too? I prefer the realistic setting since the easy driving was too responsive for my tastes.  

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mafia II - Joe's Adventures Nov 23, 2010, 22:13 fujiJuice

spindoctor wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 19:54:
In any case, the only review I've been able to find is this - http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/11/23/reviews/78408/

I don't understand his complaints with the car physics. I enjoyed the driving and thought it was spot on, at least for the era (Pretend I was alive then). I am guessing he never played the original, try out running the cops in a Model T.

Going to wait for a few more reviews, the first DLC, while giving the free ride mode I wanted, was kind of lacking.

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mafia II - Joe's Adventures Nov 23, 2010, 21:36 StingingVelvet

From what I can tell it's a real expansion pack style add-on, rather than the arcade thing the first DLC was. The opening mission is as long and good as most missions in the original game and is very story-based. It also adds a whole new map area to the upper right of the game world.

Seems to be well worth $10 so far for Mafia 2 fans.

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mafia II - Joe's Adventures Nov 23, 2010, 19:54 spindoctor

I was hoping there would be more discussion about this DLC here, including possibly some impressions from those who had played it. Are people just not interested in this game or something?

In any case, the only review I've been able to find is this - http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/11/23/reviews/78408/

The gist of it is that it's a really nice, long addition to the game. If you like Mafia 2, then you will like this as well.

Sure would like to hear some other opinions though.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mafia II - Joe's Adventures Nov 23, 2010, 16:40 StingingVelvet

Waiting on a review for this... if it's actual story content like the original game I'll probably buy it. If it's just random missions like the last DLC then no thanks.  

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mafia II - Joe's Adventures Nov 23, 2010, 13:07 Cutter

Anything's possible in the multiverse.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mafia II - Joe's Adventures Nov 23, 2010, 12:06 Bill Borre

I'll feel depressed playing it since I know what happens at the end of the game. I hope Joe was able to get away from the car...  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo