Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mac Civilization V Released

Steam now offers the Steamplay release of Sid Meier's Civilization V, meaning a Mac OS X edition of the turn-based strategy sequel is now available, which is free to those who have already purchased the Windows edition of the game through Valve's digital distribution service. Word is: "Become Ruler of the World by establishing and leading a civilization from the dawn of man into the space age: Wage war, conduct diplomacy, discover new technologies, go head-to-head with some of history’s greatest leaders and build the most powerful empire the world has ever known."

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Mac Civilization V Released Nov 24, 2010, 05:37 Klaus Flouride

I didn't like any of the other Civ games except this one. I thought this was news about the Mac version? Is this for the 17 people that use their Mac's for gaming?  

When all else fails empty the magazine...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Mac Civilization V Released Nov 23, 2010, 16:39 Quboid

Good, but not great.

It's very good for newbies but if you've experience with Civ, you'll soon find yourself seeing all kinds of holes in the balance and AI. Patches will help a lot, I think an expansion pack or two will give it the depth to make it a classic. Much of the apparent lack of depth is due to streamlined systems which I prefer, although they need a period of adjustment.

Civ does tend to get bad receptions from the hardcore following as they're used to the gameplay and the depth of the previous incarnation. Give it time, along with expansions and mods, and it will grow on them.

- Quboid

8. Re: Mac Civilization V Released Nov 23, 2010, 16:05 DrEvil

avianflu wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 11:12:
Civ 5 did not seem well rec'd by either gamers or reviewers.

The reviewers were generally very positive.

As for users, they seem split half and half from what I've seen.

I like the game, but after logging over 92 hours playing it, I'm pretty much done with it and have lost almost all interest.

I think it's a *good*, but not *great* game. Maybe after a few more patches it will become great, but not right now.

7. Re: Mac Civilization V Released Nov 23, 2010, 15:59 avianflu

you are right -- i should have cited some example -- look at Amazon customer reviews. 2.5 stars on average. there's always some idiots who dont like any game ever made, but the customers there are expressing general unhappiness at everything but the graphics.  

6. Re: Mac Civilization V Released Nov 23, 2010, 14:41 Trashy

It's a non-sale for me if I can't listen to Leonard Nimoy soothing voice.  

5. Re: Mac Civilization V Released Nov 23, 2010, 12:07 ASeven

Civ5 has made me do something no other Civ before had, it had made me bored.

Unless a major expansion is in the works that adds much more features to this game, this may go down as the most boring Civ game yet.

4. Re: Mac Civilization V Released Nov 23, 2010, 11:53 Beamer

A buddy of mine is at Firaxis and told me they expected comments like this. They're pretty aware that no Civ after Civ1 has been very well received, that they've got a fanbase in which the most dedicated and vocal despises change and gets very familiar/comfortable with the game as is through playing it hundreds of times (it can be seen as a knock but it's more a function of the way the game is than a complaint about fans), and they know this was a huge change.

All of that is true, with the exception that Civ4 was pretty much widely acclaimed at launch. I don't remember the hardcore fanbase really complaining. It seemed like it fixed all the complaints they previously had.

But it's very hard to make a new Civ and please people so tightly ingrained in the old standards and, typically, not of the belief that anything new is needed. I don't envy that job. I mean, I'm one of those impossible to please people. I thought Civ2 was unnecessary and added little other than unwanted change, I thought Civ3 sucked, I adore Civ4, and I haven't played Civ5 and see no reason to. Yet. The way I work I'll probably be back on board when Civ 7 comes out.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Mac Civilization V Released Nov 23, 2010, 11:38 EricTheMad

You're right. It's has a Metacritic score of only 90%. What a dud.

If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do they all drown? -- Bucky B. Katt

2. Re: Mac Civilization V Released Nov 23, 2010, 11:38 Ferazel

Uhmm... I don't know what you're talking about, Civ5 is constantly on the Steam top 10 and has a 90 at metacritic right now. http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/sid-meiers-civilization-v

Some users have problems with the simplified version of things (hence the lower user score), but anecdotally most I know are content with the game.

1. Re: Mac Civilization V Released Nov 23, 2010, 11:12 avianflu

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo