Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Miner Wars MMO with Preorders

The Miner Wars Forums have an effort by Keen Software House to clear up a misconception they've caused about Miner Wars 2081 that has people thinking the game is an MMOG (which probably has something to do with the website logo carrying a caption saying: "6DOF - Fully Destructible Environment - Single Player Story & MMO"). Word is that while Miner Wars 2081 will include multiplayer support, there is also a separate Miner Wars MMOG in the works. Taking responsibility for the confusion, they are now planning on giving a free copy of the MMO version of the game to all who have preordered the non-MMO version so far, and are extending this offer to anyone who preorders between now and December 1. Here's the explanation of how this two-game confusion came about:

If you're unaware of the nature of these things, after I explain why it is this way, you'll understand: The version of the game you are guaranteed by pre-ordering, WILL (will, will, will) come with multi-player mode, but more in the style of Descent with server lists, each based in one sector/level at a time. An MMO, something quiiite different, takes quite a bit of work, even for a professional company, and a LOT more money/resources to keep running, (server costs, developers, paid maintenance, etc.). Remember, we're an independent company, and as such it is a risk we literally cannot afford until we have substantial, reliable income from the first release (what you have pre-ordered). This has been the plan from the very beginning.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Miner Wars MMO with Preorders Nov 23, 2010, 23:22 fawker

there has been a lot of viral marketing for this game.. I fell for it and bought it..

first of all.. this game is nothing.. it has no goal.. it is simply a tech demo..

all you can do is mine a bunch of rocks.. there is some what of a leaderboard on what you mine.. but it is extremely basic

you are basically just investing in a future game which I hope will be of better interest than what Derek Smart pulled off

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Miner Wars MMO with Preorders Nov 23, 2010, 20:57 Safety Helmet

Miner Wars is a great idea. You're not so much buying the game as you are enabling further development of a cool idea. I'd rather risk twelve bucks on that any day than drop $80 on some horrid EA game that's just stamped out of their generic "blockbuster games" press.  

6. Re: Miner Wars MMO with Preorders Nov 23, 2010, 19:31 Nate

Yeah, its still in alpha. Too early to tell how fun it will be.  

5. Re: Miner Wars MMO with Preorders Nov 23, 2010, 18:11 Lesaonar

Zyrxil wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 11:08:
That's not any less confusing. How will they turn it into an MMO?

Preorder the single/multiplayer version and you get a free copy of the MMO version when it's ready. The 2 are separate games. Don't know how that was even remotely confusing if you understand english...

[img]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/8qzpu4-4.png[/img]

4. Re: Miner Wars MMO with Preorders Nov 23, 2010, 13:49 Will W

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 11:44:
How is the game anyways? I was thinking about getting it. I saw people were raving about it a while back. Is it still fun or is this one of those instantly fun get old quick kind of games?

I've played it a few times, I'm a sucker for space games. It's most definitely in the alpha stage now. Last time I played it was a month or so ago and it was like a tech demo...single player with not a ton to do but fly around.

I consider it worth the current price in it's current state as long as you understand it's in the Alpha stage right now and you don't expect too much from a game that's not ready for consumption by the general public.

3. Re: Miner Wars MMO with Preorders Nov 23, 2010, 13:08 Cutter

Does anyone really care?  

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

2. Re: Miner Wars MMO with Preorders Nov 23, 2010, 11:44 SpectralMeat

Zyrxil wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 11:08:

There will probably be different MP game modes for the MMO crowd then the straight up deathmatch for the regular MP peeps. Maybe there will be MP coop missions and other MMO style stuff. Not sure.

How is the game anyways? I was thinking about getting it. I saw people were raving about it a while back. Is it still fun or is this one of those instantly fun get old quick kind of games?

Steam: SpectralMeat

1. Re: Miner Wars MMO with Preorders Nov 23, 2010, 11:08 Zyrxil

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo