Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Nukem Forever Interviews

Duke Nukem: The Once & Future King on Maximum PC is an article with a few interviews on Duke Nukem Forever, the recently revived first-person shooter sequel. There are conversations with Brian Martel and Randy Pitchford from the game's new home at Gearbox Software, as well as a conversation with George Broussard from original Duke developer 3D Realms. Along the way Broussard defends against the accusation that the game's extended development cycle was the result of perfectionism: "I wish there was an easy or dramatic answer for what took so long but there just isn't. It was just never ready. We had lots of development issues along the way. It wasn't a quest for perfection as some silly article in Wired implied last year. I think what hurt us the most was licensing engines and trying to change them too much. Shit happens and after delays the options are to continue or kill the game. I never wanted to kill the game. We got things turned around dramatically in 2007-2009, with a lot of new hires, and most of the game as it exists today was created in that timeframe." Thanks VG247.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interviews Nov 22, 2010, 22:14 Slashman

Dev wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 13:08:
What else is changing engines but a quest for perfection (aka the best engine)? I think he's still in denial.

I think he's still in stupid...but that's just me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interviews Nov 22, 2010, 13:08 Dev

What else is changing engines but a quest for perfection (aka the best engine)? I think he's still in denial.  

19. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interviews Nov 22, 2010, 12:12 space captain

yes, how dare they try to scam such an important person like yourself

trying to defraud you and shit

Go forth, and kill!

18. Re: Yawn... Nov 22, 2010, 08:22 InBlack

Beamer wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 08:09:
Not sure why anyone would ever want a game to be bad.

Because every developer/publisher kicked the dog of a user here.

No way that could be because some (ardent and very vocal) fans got tired of waiting for a game for 11+ years, and perpetually being scammed by 3drealms that the game is "nearly done" Ive lost count of how many times....

I have a nifty blue line!

17. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interviews Nov 22, 2010, 08:20 InBlack

It depends on the ammount of consolitis. If the game is hilarious and fun (like the first one was) I can live with some consolitis.

If its a piece of shit like for example the PC only game Crysis was, then no ammount of gfx and quality PC porting is going to stop it being shit....

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: Yawn... Nov 22, 2010, 08:09 Beamer

Not sure why anyone would ever want a game to be bad.

Because every developer/publisher kicked the dog of a user here.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interviews Nov 22, 2010, 06:50 frag.machine

Jackplug wrote on Nov 21, 2010, 19:46:
All DN will be is just more of the same with better gfx, but the sad thing is it will be just an old game that hasnt moved on...

I wish DNF were just more of the same we got with DN3D in better graphics. Unfortunately, looks it will be just another POS made for consoles.

14. Re: Yawn... Nov 22, 2010, 04:37 Jerykk

I'm hoping the game will actually be good. Not sure why anyone would ever want a game to be bad. That said, I'm not a big fan of the obvious consolitis this game is suffering from.  

13. Yawn... Nov 22, 2010, 00:13 JohnBirshire

Wish this would come out, suck, everybody get a good laugh at it, and it'll be forgotten so we can be done reading Interviews/Previews/Hype/FaQs for the rest of our lives.  

12. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interviews Nov 21, 2010, 21:58 Slashman

space captain wrote on Nov 21, 2010, 21:29:
too subtle?

Ironically...yes.

11. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interviews Nov 21, 2010, 21:29 space captain

too subtle?  
Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: motherfuckin GEORGE BITCHARD Nov 21, 2010, 21:06 DukeFNukem

Space Captain,
I don't really condone the use of marijuana for recreational use but I think society would agree with me in justifying a prescription for your special case. It would allow me to sleep easier at night.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...

9. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interviews Nov 21, 2010, 21:02 DukeFNukem

And whats wrong with that? I would be very happy if Duke Nukem were NOTHING MORE THAN the same game that had been updated to a native game running under Windows 7 with better graphics. The core gameplay of Duke Nukem 3D was the most incredibly fun game I have ever played. Exactly where did you want this game to move to? Where does this classic need to go to jusify your purchase? You talk as though better graphics are some kind of virus that one should see a doctor about. Incredible visuals are a huge part of the enjoyment factor of ANY game. My advice to GearBox, although probably too late now, would have been to do nothing more than to bring the game up to date with improved visuals, native Windows 7 support, and multi-player over internet. The gameplay/fun factor needs no tweaking imho. Some people just crack me up.  
Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...

8. motherfuckin GEORGE BITCHARD Nov 21, 2010, 20:53 space captain

WHAT??!?! thats total FUCKING bullSHIT!!! OMG Im gonna RIP OFF HIS HEAD AND SHIT DOWN HIS NECK!! Motherfuckers bit off some shit, now, bitch. IM GONNA FUCKING RAPE THIS ASSHOLE WITH A TIRE IRON  
Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interviews Nov 21, 2010, 20:49 Acleacius

3D Realms produced hit after hit, not only that they released games in damn good condition compared to other publishers like ea, activision and atari.

Not only that 3D Realms don't destroy developers as these other publishers, 3D Realms actually help elevate developers. Not only did they help up and coming developers by giving advice. They provided technical and finical support.

Actually you guys are far to smart and experienced to be talking out your asses. Trollbashing

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

6. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interviews Nov 21, 2010, 19:46 Jackplug

All DN will be is just more of the same with better gfx, but the sad thing is it will be just an old game that hasnt moved on...  

5. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interviews Nov 21, 2010, 19:40 Icewind

I don't see Duke Nukem really becoming as big as it once was. The game is making those Halo-esque design compromises that the old fans aren't going to put up with.

Regenerating health? No Boot melee attack? I think they even said you can only carry 2 weapons at a time.

I'm waiting until the demo goes public and I can try it before I pre-order it.

4. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interviews Nov 21, 2010, 17:05 Beamer

Just about no-one has any interest in what this jack-hole has to say.

Except for the people that keep asking him to do interviews to boost pageviews.
And the people reading the interviews and causing those pageviews.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interviews Nov 21, 2010, 16:39 space captain

so i guess you dont like this guy, right?  
Go forth, and kill!

2. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interviews Nov 21, 2010, 16:32 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2010, 15:01:
Why doesn't he just admit it was his fault.

Why doesn't he just Shut the fuck up? George can't even claim to be a game developer, anymore.

Just about no-one has any interest in what this jack-hole has to say. He's more tainted than John Romero and the Daikatana fiasco, Bill Roper and the Hellgate fiasco, and Bobby Kotick and the Infinity Ward fiasco... COMBINED.

This just goes to prove that he still needs his ass seriously kicked in some dark alley. What a fuckin' ego this idiot has. Sheesh!

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo