Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Recommendations

Steam News announces the launch of a "Recommended For You" feature for Valve's online marketplace. They say:

The "Recommended For You" services on Steam are designed to help gamers discover new games and DLC based upon their tastes and recent purchases, as well as games recommended by friends.

Recommendations will appear both on the "Recommended For You" pages as well as in your Steam Community News Blotter. In addition, individual game pages will now include Recommendation info, providing gamers with even more information on the 1,200-plus titles available on Steam.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 20, 2010, 14:38 Nameless Again

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 19, 2010, 18:40:
Yeah, because adverts catered to an individual's tastes and preferences are so much more offensive than generic adverts plastered all over the media. But if you'd rather be dead then please don't let any of us stop you.

Like the generic adverts would stop after they instituted the new method. And if you're going to attempt at playing the intellectual, feel free to come up with your own rebukes, rather than modify mine. Show people how genuinely smart you are; if you can, that is.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 20, 2010, 11:39 Slashman

space captain wrote on Nov 20, 2010, 08:04:
Not only are these Yumsters crazy for strawberries, they can rock the bongos. For the love of fruity music, help them earn money by cleaning gardens to promote their band. To really skyrocket, Yumsters need the best equipment to win the ultimate grand prize at the fairy town music showdown. Get fruitilicious in five vibrant locations of Yumsters 2, a sweet Match 3 puzzler.

30. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 20, 2010, 08:04 space captain

Not only are these Yumsters crazy for strawberries, they can rock the bongos. For the love of fruity music, help them earn money by cleaning gardens to promote their band. To really skyrocket, Yumsters need the best equipment to win the ultimate grand prize at the fairy town music showdown. Get fruitilicious in five vibrant locations of Yumsters 2, a sweet Match 3 puzzler.  
Go forth, and kill!

29. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 20, 2010, 05:33 Prez

I've never been recommended a title on other sites that I 1) didn't already own or 2) wasn't the least bit interested in. Kind of a useless feature if you ask me, but maybe it will help sell other titles to someone.

But in the interest of the thread, I'm recommending 'Fluttabytes' and 'Yumsters 2' to everyone on my friends list.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2010, 05:39.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

28. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 20, 2010, 02:21 Kxmode

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 20, 2010, 01:50:
"Because you bought Fallout: New Vegas we recommend Dead Rising 2!"

'Kay.

Well at least you don't have to worry about Steam going all gay on you with its recommendations. Not unlike Tivo!

27. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 20, 2010, 01:50 StingingVelvet

"Because you bought Fallout: New Vegas we recommend Dead Rising 2!"

'Kay.

26. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 19, 2010, 21:04 Dev

I bought cities XXL limited edition on a steam sale. So because of that purchase its recommending cities XXL (non limited edition).  

25. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 19, 2010, 20:52 CommunistHamster

I'd rather buy a trainset than a rail simulator. Get some 00 track, an engine and carriages (for some reason buffet cars appear in my dreams regularly, I don't know why, I'm not even a train fan) and some terrain modelling books.

When I'm old and crinkly and don't play videogames, that is.

24. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 19, 2010, 19:34 Rigs

Wow, a subject for which I have absolutely no opinion on, either way...I need to check my notes, but that might actually be a first...or a record...and yes:

No cares that I don't care...got it, thanks...no, no you don't have to post the funny picture of LOLZCAT telling me that, I've been around interwebz bulletin boards long enough to know... Rolleyes

On a more on-topic note - there are three different railroad sims out in the last few years but I think Railworkz is the one most worked on. There's also Trainz and I forget the other ones name. Competition in the genre is good, per se. But this is certainly a niche genre if there ever was one. Kinda like a furrie fetish, where there are tons of people that have it but most of the outside world has no idea it exists... *shrugs*

Ahem, uh, not that I would know or anything, just so we're clear here...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2010, 19:43.

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

23. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 19, 2010, 18:41 Mcboinkens

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 19, 2010, 18:40:
Everyone remember that scene in Minority Report where Tom Cruise is walking down the street getting pestered by tailor-made advertisements, just for him?

It's coming. I just hope I'm dead before it hits.
Yeah, because adverts catered to an individual's tastes and preferences are so much more offensive than generic adverts plastered all over the media. But if you'd rather be dead then please don't let any of us stop you.

Seriously, its a better and more efficient system then all these random ads for things I really couldn't care less for.

22. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 19, 2010, 18:40 theyarecomingforyou

Everyone remember that scene in Minority Report where Tom Cruise is walking down the street getting pestered by tailor-made advertisements, just for him?

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

21. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 19, 2010, 18:26 Dev

PHJF wrote on Nov 19, 2010, 18:25:
Why the fuck is Steam telling me I need to download a 3gb TF2 patch Stunned
Because it was "Recommended For You" ?

20. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 19, 2010, 18:25 PHJF

Why the fuck is Steam telling me I need to download a 3gb TF2 patch Stunned  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 19, 2010, 18:09 Nameless Again

18. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 19, 2010, 17:56 [VG]Reagle

My weinerschnitchel has been recommended for you.  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

17. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 19, 2010, 17:43 bigspender

great now we can do free advertising for valve..... we are living in idiocracy...  

16. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 19, 2010, 17:01 Kxmode

I'm not entirely sure but I believe Amazon already has a patent on ecommerce recommendations.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2010, 18:15.

15. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 19, 2010, 17:00 Gutspiller

If it starts recommending games while I'm playing a game, or making popups, I'm going ape shit on Valve.  

14. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 19, 2010, 16:59 Techie714 ©

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2010, 16:16:
If it's just as worthless as the "Amazon recommends" shit, this isn't going to have much value.

You bought Mad Men Season Three! You might be interested in the following titles :

- Mad Men Season One
- Mad Men Season Two

Oh really? I might be interested in the first two seasons of a series when I buy season three? Who'd have thought!
Also, you mean the first two seasons that I bought from you, like, THREE WEEKS AGO? Sigh

Creston

LMAO that was just as funny as a kxmode post!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

13. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 19, 2010, 16:30 fawker

noticed this feature before I checked blues.. they offered me kayne and lynch..

wow that title's only 20 bucks now? heh someone's out of some work

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo