Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Portal 2 Delayed Again

Valve sends the perhaps inevitable announcement that Portal 2 has succumbed again to Valve Time, and the release of the puzzling sequel is now planned for release the week of April 18th, 2011.The game was previously expected on February 9, and Valve notes this makes this the shortest delay in Valve history, though of course, the game was already delayed once from this holiday season, and at three-or-so months, that was probably their previous shortest delay. They feel this represents a trend, saying: "This two month slip not only marks the shortest delay in Valve's proud tradition of delays, it represents the approaching convergence of Valve Time and Real Time. Though this convergence spells doom for humanity, it will not affect the new Portal 2 release date."

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 19, 2010, 14:00 Ant

Gutspiller wrote on Nov 19, 2010, 13:33:
I'm not complaining about the quality of games they release. But like others have stated, they shouldn't announce release dates, when they can change. They should only announce them when it's a "sure thing".

It defeats the point of even announcing it, if the gaming community knows that it can change. So they aren't "release dates" any more, they are "the date we are hoping to have this game out by".

Basically you can't depend on release dates from companies except from the ones that normally say "when it's done". Because when they give you an actual date, you know it's going to actually happen.

Rattlehead wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 19:23:
So they feel proud about a short delay? They should feel ashamed for any delay.

If you can't accurately announce a release date of a product, you shouldn't try.

Can't detect a joke eh? How about the fact that all their games are really fucking good, and these delays are for the better.
Agreed. Stop releasing dates so early. Look at Blizzard. Diablo 3 isn't ready so they won't give a date yet until it is.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 19, 2010, 13:33 Gutspiller

I'm not complaining about the quality of games they release. But like others have stated, they shouldn't announce release dates, when they can change. They should only announce them when it's a "sure thing".

It defeats the point of even announcing it, if the gaming community knows that it can change. So they aren't "release dates" any more, they are "the date we are hoping to have this game out by".

Basically you can't depend on release dates from companies except from the ones that normally say "when it's done". Because when they give you an actual date, you know it's going to actually happen.

Rattlehead wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 19:23:
So they feel proud about a short delay? They should feel ashamed for any delay.

If you can't accurately announce a release date of a product, you shouldn't try.

Can't detect a joke eh? How about the fact that all their games are really fucking good, and these delays are for the better.

24. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 19, 2010, 12:23 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Nov 19, 2010, 07:32:
Agreed. It seems to have become the norm in the industry for a game to be released prematurely simply to leverage sales; release quality be damned.

Because Valve has near-infinite money and near-guaranteed assurance of multi-million sales.

Bungie has this. Epic has this. id has this. Not a single other dev has this, hence why every other dev is tied to timing rather than "when it's done."

You forgot Blizzard.

23. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 19, 2010, 11:01 Creston

Sigh.

Creston

22. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 19, 2010, 07:32 Beamer

Agreed. It seems to have become the norm in the industry for a game to be released prematurely simply to leverage sales; release quality be damned.

Because Valve has near-infinite money and near-guaranteed assurance of multi-million sales.

Bungie has this. Epic has this. id has this. Not a single other dev has this, hence why every other dev is tied to timing rather than "when it's done."

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 19, 2010, 02:59 Ant

Companies need to shut up about their release dates. Just say when it's done and then tell us when really close to it!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

20. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 19, 2010, 02:54 Jerykk

Ventura wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 19:24:
I should be ashamed, but I still haven't played the first, despite having added it to my Steam account back when they were giving it away for free.

I know, I know... I'll get around to it

If you're playing Call of Duty 2011 instead of Portal, you're making me sad.

19. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 19, 2010, 00:54 Sir Graves

Nameless Again wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 19:36:
All part of the master plan....one more DLC for L4D2 (possibly L4D1 as well, but don't hold your breath), along with the slow inevitable ports of Blood Harvest, Dead Air and Death Toll to L4D2;

I have a feeling those ports will be the next DLC for L4D2 (they'll call it "The Legacy" or something).

And from your lips to god's ears on an upcoming L4D3 announcement. I persoanlly can't wait for the next one!

18. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 19, 2010, 00:33 zincthallinide

Eh. Does their making little jokes about it make the delay any shorter? I don't think so. Still, if it makes the game better, then I salute everything  

17. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 18, 2010, 23:03 Sepharo

Bumpy wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 22:56:
I suppose this game will force us to use Steamworks. Valve is so old school, The Witcher is in.

Well it will also allow us access to the game, our saves, our settings, and automatic updates wherever we go.

I don't have anything against GoG, I will probably get The Witcher from them. Steam DRM just doesn't bother me.

16. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 18, 2010, 22:56 Bumpy

I suppose this game will force us to use Steamworks. Valve is so old school, The Witcher is in.  

15. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 18, 2010, 22:23 DangerDog

Look at it this way, now there's a slim to none chance of it being bundled with Episode 3.  

14. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 18, 2010, 21:49 Elvis

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 21:11:
Wish other DEVs would work on Valve time instead of 'has to be released on X date finished or not' corporate time.

13. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 18, 2010, 21:11 Yosemite Sam

Wish other DEVs would work on Valve time instead of 'has to be released on X date finished or not' corporate time.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

12. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 18, 2010, 19:58 Riker

Valve has the most [genuinely] interesting PR blurbs in the industry.  

11. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 18, 2010, 19:36 Nameless Again

All part of the master plan....one more DLC for L4D2 (possibly L4D1 as well, but don't hold your breath), along with the slow inevitable ports of Blood Harvest, Dead Air and Death Toll to L4D2; several more updates to TF2 for good measure....all leading up to the release of Portal 2, followed by the announcement of HL3 and L4D3.  

10. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 18, 2010, 19:33 Overon

I should be ashamed, but I still haven't played the first, despite having added it to my Steam account back when they were giving it away for free.

You are a disgrace to PC gaming! Hang your head in shame! For shame!

9. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 18, 2010, 19:32 slaka

Seriously just play it tonight. Best 2 hours I've had on a game for a long time.

8. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 18, 2010, 19:32 Prez

You'd think Valve would have learned about giving release dates by now...  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Again Nov 18, 2010, 19:28 Icewind

Haven't gotten around to finishing a 2-3 hour game?

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo