Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DRM-Free Witcher 2 on GOG.com?

GOG.com invites us to view a live stream of a presentation for their investors today on The Witcher Website, saying the conference will kick off at 12:30 pm EST, and that: "There will also be a special GOG.com part with a surprise for all fans of good games!" Not content to allow them their surprise, Eurogamer lets the cat out of the bag, saying "sources" tell them that the news is the Witcher 2 will go on sale on GOG.com on May 17, 2011, and true to the site's mission (besides the "old games," obviously), they say it will be "completely DRM-free." Thanks TaczBr.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Just plain stupid Nov 19, 2010, 05:01 NewMaxx

Gene L wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 13:23:
I just don't see how they can make money on this. it will likely be on torrents for free downloads within minutes of going public.

I wish them luck but thats why PC is so unsupported, too much piracy

While most of GOG's collection is indeed available on torrents (if you know where to look), many of them are not publicly so. In the non-public locations, it is generally frowned upon to not pay for GOG games. That being said, I'm not sure that will apply to a "new" game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: DRM-Free Witcher 2 on GOG.com? Nov 19, 2010, 04:00 KilrathiAce

I am pre ordering witcher 2 on steam already, a digital premium edition, http://store.steampowered.com/app/20920 for $45. GOG may claim a lot but until I actually see them do drm free release and for lower price than 45 or same then I dont really care.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

27. Re: DRM-Free Witcher 2 on GOG.com? Nov 18, 2010, 22:50 Rigs

Yes, you did take it out of context. Sales and marketing have nothing to do with punishing customers by using DRM which is what we were discussing.

Ok, now you took MY reply out of context...but whatever, I respectfully retire this engagement in order to fight another day...(IOW, I'm going to bed - my minds' fried from arguing theoretical all damn day)...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

26. Re: Just plain stupid Nov 18, 2010, 22:02 Sepharo

Gene L wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 15:44:
Piracy would be even more prevalent if more people were technically savvy enough even to use the cracks- most people I know are not that familiar with it.

However, there are plenty of people savvy enough to find and use cracks.

So which is it?

I'm going to agree with Verno's reply and say that if a person is playing a PC game (other than web games) they probably know how to visit thepiratebay, download, and copy a single file (with instructions even).

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2010, 22:09.

25. Re: DRM-Free Witcher 2 on GOG.com? Nov 18, 2010, 21:45 Verno

Rigs wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 18:05:

No offense, but that might be one of the most naive comments I've read in the last two hours or so...Isn't the focus on possible customers the whole point of sales and marketing?...Yes, I took it out of context...

Yes, you did take it out of context. Sales and marketing have nothing to do with punishing customers by using DRM which is what we were discussing.

Legit customers. How can you tell who's who? How do you know that Joe Downloader didn't just shell out the $10 just to be the first to throw it on a torrent and claim glory for his 'group'?

It isn't about personal identification or appealing to individual customers. It's about giving your customers(both actual and potential) the best possible experience instead of crafting your product around the idea "how can I best fuck over the pirates?". It is no coincidence that most games with DRM that are effective against piracy also do very poorly commercially - they also impact legitimate customers negatively.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

24. Re: DRM-Free Witcher 2 on GOG.com? Nov 18, 2010, 18:57 SuperBill

I suspect this move is really a test for the RPG market. Any development studio that invests so much time and money into a single player RPG runs the risk of bankruptcy if the product doesn't make 'instant classic' status. By going DRM free they'll pick up users who would otherwise not purchase the game because of the hassle, and if the game does have DRM, the pirates are the only ones who get a hassle free game (and pirates ARE going to pirate it either way). If this marketing strategy doesn't work I'd bet my left nut there's a 99% chance CDProjekt folds.

Either way, I'm buying it. Hopefully it won't be the end of The Witcher on PC.

23. Re: DRM-Free Witcher 2 on GOG.com? Nov 18, 2010, 18:05 Rigs

Right, because it's THEIR fault that publishers refuse to do business with them?

What does that have anything to do with it? Do you have any actually evidence to back up that that is the way GOG chooses which games they put out to sell? For all we know, they could just have a list of games in the lunch room and play darts to choose. Or it could just be personal choice of GOG itself? By poll on their forums? What? If, indeed, you aren't just bullshitting then I'll gladly STFU...

Again, you can't focus on the people who aren't buying your product.

No offense, but that might be one of the most naive comments I've read in the last two hours or so...Isn't the focus on possible customers the whole point of sales and marketing?...Yes, I took it out of context...

You focus on making your product easily available to legitimate customers and making sure it's at a quality level that they will pay for.

Legit customers. How can you tell who's who? How do you know that Joe Downloader didn't just shell out the $10 just to be the first to throw it on a torrent and claim glory for his 'group'?

I'm just being devil's advocate here, but I think it's a little more complicated/complex then you guys seem to realize or want to admit... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

22. Re: DRM-Free Witcher 2 on GOG.com? Nov 18, 2010, 15:59 Verno

its not about punishment but that most people when given a choice between free and paid legitamate, choose free.

There is no actual data on that so I don't know how you came to that conclusion. Plenty of people could pirate Steam games but buy them legitimately instead, yours truly included. Again, you can't focus on the people who aren't buying your product. You focus on making your product easily available to legitimate customers and making sure it's at a quality level that they will pay for. You can't make customers jump through hoops, that's what will turn them into pirates. The music industry already taught some painful lessons about trying to restrict consumer usage.

Piracy would be even more prevalent if more people were technically savvy enough even to use the cracks-

I would wager that most people these days that are purchasing the PC SKU of a product are capable enough to copy a file from one directory to another.

21. Just plain stupid Nov 18, 2010, 15:44 Gene L

Verno wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 15:18:
makings it easier on pirates isn't the answer i don't think.

Making it easier for customers isn't the same goal as making it easier for pirates. You keep worrying about what the pirates get here but that isn't important in the slightest. The pirates will get whatever they want whenever they want it, nothing you do will really have an effect on that without also negatively impacting your legitimate consumer base. Instead of worrying about punishing people, they should be rewarding consumers and that's exactly what they are doing here. How do you turn pirates into consumers? With a carrot, not a stick. There is zero sense in making it more difficult for your consumers to enjoy your product, all you do there is potentially create another pirate or push them towards competitors.

DRM is meaningless and easily defeated the overwhelming majority of the time, it only really interferes with the legitimate customer experience.

oh I agree that piracy is an issue even with DRM but from what I hear Steam games are uncracked

Totally false, Steam games are as easy to crack as any other. I don't know a single Steam game that hasn't been pirated. There are even cracked servers for TF2. Fallout New Vegas was available less 2 hours after it went live on Steam(it is a Steamworks title).

Your right. I checked for steam cracks after I made my comment and did find some. its not about punishment but that most people when given a choice between free and paid legitamate, choose free. Piracy would be even more prevalent if more people were technically savvy enough even to use the cracks- most people I know are not that familiar with it. those are also the people that most hate DRM too because they make gaming too complex. Others hate it due to too many restrictions (like myself).

However, there are plenty of people savvy enough to find and use cracks. The industry loses too much money to people who can afford to buy the games (would-be customers) but steal it instead.

I don't claim to know the answer to this. thats why i'd be very curious to see the outcome of this release.

Maybe DLCs, bonuses and and ease of use is the answer.

20. Re: DRM-Free Witcher 2 on GOG.com? Nov 18, 2010, 15:18 Verno

makings it easier on pirates isn't the answer i don't think.

Making it easier for customers isn't the same goal as making it easier for pirates. You keep worrying about what the pirates get here but that isn't important in the slightest. The pirates will get whatever they want whenever they want it, nothing you do will really have an effect on that without also negatively impacting your legitimate consumer base. Instead of worrying about punishing people, they should be rewarding consumers and that's exactly what they are doing here. How do you turn pirates into consumers? With a carrot, not a stick. There is zero sense in making it more difficult for your consumers to enjoy your product, all you do there is potentially create another pirate or push them towards competitors.

DRM is meaningless and easily defeated the overwhelming majority of the time, it only really interferes with the legitimate customer experience.

oh I agree that piracy is an issue even with DRM but from what I hear Steam games are uncracked

Totally false, Steam games are as easy to crack as any other. I don't know a single Steam game that hasn't been pirated. There are even cracked servers for TF2. Fallout New Vegas was available less 2 hours after it went live on Steam(it is a Steamworks title).

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2010, 15:28.

19. Just plain stupid Nov 18, 2010, 15:15 Gene L

oh I agree that piracy is an issue even with DRM but from what I hear Steam games are uncracked. So there are DRM methods that still work. am I wrong? While I don't support like you said "draconian methods" that only turn customers off. makings it easier on pirates isn't the answer i don't think.
How about DRM that auto disables after 1 year? by 1 year most games have sold 90+% of what they are going to sell so DRM at that point is just a hassle on people who lost keys ect.

18. Re: Collectors Edition Nov 18, 2010, 14:42 born2expire

I'll be buying this as soon as I get home, show the Witcher's investors that a PC only game can not only survive but thrive!  

17. Re: Collectors Edition Nov 18, 2010, 14:30 Techie714

I'm holding out for the collectors edition...LOVE The Witcher!  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

16. Re: Just plain stupid Nov 18, 2010, 14:12 Nameless Again

I'd like a demo all the same.  

15. Re: Just plain stupid Nov 18, 2010, 13:58 Bhruic

it will likely be on torrents for free downloads within minutes of going public.

You mean just like almost every other game in existence?

14. Re: Just plain stupid Nov 18, 2010, 13:52 Verno

Gene latypov wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 13:23:
I just don't see how they can make money on this. it will likely be on torrents for free downloads within minutes of going public.

Yet another person who doesn't get it. You don't serve pirates, you serve customers. It will be on the torrent sites soon no matter what you do. The only difference is that people might have to copy an executable file from one directory to another to crack your game. The protection scheme doesn't matter and the more draconian they are, the more hassle created for legitimate customers in the process. Consoles aren't even immune to this piracy anymore, all platforms are wide open and games are getting leaked weeks in advance.

This is a smart move, the first decent decision I've seen CDP make this year after that inept marketing stunt.

13. Re: DRM-Free Witcher 2 on GOG.com? Nov 18, 2010, 13:32 Creston

Rigs wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 13:19:
Meh...

Where's all the older kick-ass flight-sims and space-sims? Yes, the sim genre is regrettable dead today (or in hiding, depending on your point of view), but that wasn't the case a decade ago. What gives? GoG should change it to Good Old (Adventure/RPG/RTS) Games... Rolleyes

=-Rigs-=

Right, because it's THEIR fault that publishers refuse to do business with them? Confused

Creston

12. Just plain stupid Nov 18, 2010, 13:23 Gene L

11. Re: DRM-Free Witcher 2 on GOG.com? Nov 18, 2010, 13:19 Rigs

Meh...

Where's all the older kick-ass flight-sims and space-sims? Yes, the sim genre is regrettably dead today (or in hiding, depending on your point of view), but that wasn't the case a decade ago. What gives? GoG should change it to Good Old (Adventure/RPG/RTS) Games... Rolleyes

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2010, 17:55.

10. Re: DRM-Free Witcher 2 on GOG.com? Nov 18, 2010, 13:01 ASeven

Automatic buy from me.  

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo