Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Black Ops Sales Record

Activision announces that Call of Duty: Black Ops has set a new entertainment industry record for five-day worldwide sell through in dollars, with $650 million in sales. This exceeds the $550 million taken in by Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, though all of this is based on "internal Activision estimates," as we're not sure anyone has ever focused so on sales for a five-day period. "Call of Duty has become the first entertainment property in history to set five-day launch records for two consecutive years across all forms of entertainment," said Robert Kotick, CEO, Activision Blizzard. "The title’s success illustrates the mass appeal of interactive entertainment as millions of consumers are choosing to play Call of Duty: Black Ops at unprecedented levels rather than engage in other forms of media. The number of people playing online and the number of hours they are playing demonstrates how online gaming has become a mainstream form of entertainment and certainly validates Activision Blizzard’s leadership role in online entertainment."

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Black Ops Sales Record Nov 18, 2010, 19:07 Ventura

uh? HaWHAT!?

This latest version appears to be a lateral movement in graphics gameplay, etc. but it runs like crap.

I'm guessing he was being sarcastic mate. Certainly the Steam forums are filled with complaints.

I don't play typical multiplayer online (just co-op zombies), but I haven't really had that many problems with that. Any time I have played multiplayer, it's just been the training mode with the bots. I get a bit of slowdown then, though.

All in all, I don't regret the purchase one little bit, and even though it could be smoother, it could be a lot worse too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Black Ops Sales Record Nov 18, 2010, 17:20 Kxmode

Everyone loves Carl on Duty: Black Cops! \o/  

12. Re: Black Ops Sales Record Nov 18, 2010, 16:53 Tumbler

How do you know this?

Interesting point, Infinity Ward still exists if I'm not mistaken. It would be shocking if they showed up with an awesome CoD game next year. That would be the biggest bitch slap this industry has ever fucking seen!

And last I heard there was a contract in place that said Infinity Ward was the only studio that can make a CoD in modern settings...

I'm expecting that company to be shut down just to keep things legal as far as contracts are concerned. It's a big mystery what the future of that studio will be...other than closed.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

11. Re: Black Ops Sales Record Nov 18, 2010, 16:23 xXBatmanXx

[VG]Reagle wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 14:02:
What makes CoD great on the PC is that it works without problems.

uh? HaWHAT!?

This latest version appears to be a lateral movement in graphics gameplay, etc. but it runs like crap.

A wiser man once said,
Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

10. Re: Black Ops Sales Record Nov 18, 2010, 15:41 nin

DangerDog wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 15:05:
IW isn't making next years Cash cow of Duty game for Bobby.

How do you know this?

I would guess he's referring to the mass exodus that IW had. It's my understanding that while the studio is still alive, it's now staffed by a majority of people that Activision placed, post exodus.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Black Ops Sales Record Nov 18, 2010, 15:37 SpectralMeat

DangerDog wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 15:05:
IW isn't making next years Cash cow of Duty game for Bobby.

How do you know this?

Steam: SpectralMeat

8. Re: Black Ops Sales Record Nov 18, 2010, 15:05 DangerDog

Eventually the peasants will revolt, IW isn't making next years Cash cow of Duty game for Bobby.  

7. Re: Black Ops Sales Record Nov 18, 2010, 14:50 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 12:36:
Well lots of people like lots of crap, popular doesn't equate to good.

McDonalds. Taco Bell. et all.

6. Re: Black Ops Sales Record Nov 18, 2010, 14:23 sc4r4b

MW2 was a fail, BO is everything I wanted MW2 to be!  

5. Re: Black Ops Sales Record Nov 18, 2010, 14:02 [VG]Reagle

What makes CoD great on the PC is that it works without problems.  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

4. Re: Black Ops Sales Record Nov 18, 2010, 13:55 Mr. Tact

CoD and CoD2 were great. Haven't played it since then or heard anything that made me want to.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

3. Re: Black Ops Sales Record Nov 18, 2010, 12:36 Cutter

Well lots of people like lots of crap, popular doesn't equate to good. I have zero interest in these games.  

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

2. Re: Black Ops Sales Record Nov 18, 2010, 12:08 Tumbler

I think the real test for this franchise will be next year. The formula for this franchise is pretty easy to copy. WaW made it clear that they can use the formula for CoD4 and apply it to another game and Black Ops is that same formula. They have improved on it for sure, the CoD points work a lot better in my opinion for MP than having everything tied to your rank. I like getting access to most of the things I want when I want rather than waiting for lvl 28 to unlock perk 5 or whatever.

The theater mode is much appreciated, I've been trying to play with that and I look forward to seeing a lot of youtube clips. Already seeing so pretty crazy stuff, crazy tomahawk kills, richocet kills, Killstreak madness (game where entire team worked together to get care packages and kept dropping them for 1 player on the team. Just wave after wave of brutal kills. I think that guy ended the match with 46 kills and never fired a shot! This wasn't the theater though because that is limited to 30 seconds on youtube....but that was awesome.

SP is a step up from MW2 but to me it's a non issue. I'd rather they sell a MP edition of the game without the SP side but it's a package deal, I have to buy that stupid SP shit if I want my MP game. And now I feel obligated to play that side of the game since I paid for it...

Anyway, their next CoD title in 2011 is where I'm expecting them to really stumble. 2012 could see another treyarch title but I'd hope that respawn and others can finally get some serious competition up by then, if not sooner. Depending on what we see from other companies they may need to update the game engine for Cod as well...

Hopefully by E3 2011 we'll have an idea of what we'll be seeing next.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

1. Re: Black Ops Sales Record Nov 18, 2010, 11:17 nin

The Guitar Hero series, DJ Hero series, and Tony Hawk series have some bad news to go with the good, Bobby. Your supply of golden geese is looking low...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo