Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I mentioned how bad Hudson the wonder dog's allergies have been this season, which got so severe that I took her to the vet this week, who gave her some antihistamines for her itchiness, and antibiotics for the infection she developed from chewing at herself. I decided to adopt a bold strategy for the trip, and left the Gunnar-man behind to make for less hassles in the vet's relatively small office. This made for basically the first time he's been left alone without either myself, MrsBlue, or at least Hudson for company, one of the benefits of him living here in the BlueTower while I work. He was not at all happy at being abandoned: He tried to sneak out with us, threw himself at the door after it closed, and barked wildly as we got in the car. When we returned all of 45 minutes later I was greeted with a big pile of poo in the middle of the floor, and urine puddles in no fewer than four different locations, so he obviously took the opportunity to express his displeasure as best he could. Hudson wasn't happy either, as she was a little whiny on the drive, obviously a little disturbed at the separation as well, even though she was an only dog until she was about five. Them being so inseparable is very touching, but this is not an ideal situation going forward, though it will not be easy to remedy, if that's even possible. On the bright side, the medications have done Hudson a world of good, though her coat around her backside is not going to grow back properly for quite some time.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Desert Rifle 2.
Hostage Crisis.
Blow Things Up.
Links: 7 Real Car Chases Way Crazier Than Anything in the Movies.
Celebrating cinema’s greatest long takes. Thanks Slashdot.
Stories: Burger King Manager, Worker Fired Over 'F--- You' Receipt. Ain't that some s***.
Neil Young's Green LincVolt Hybrid Ignites a Not-So-Green Inferno. Ouch.
Bristol Palin dance leads man to shoot TV, authorities say. Thanks Roger.
Science: Antimatter atom trapped for first time, say scientists. Mr. Spock to the engine room.
US sex robots headed to UK. Thanks Cutter.
Eye scans will help keep better track of suspects, NYPD says. Thanks scorcese.fan.
Images: London World Record Panoramic Photo. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
Media: Ghostbusters Return. NSFW.
Cowboys & Aliens Trailer: Wrist Cannons and Rough Justice.
Parkour Unleashed. Yup, it's dog Parkour.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. removed Apr 7, 2011, 20:08 Mike19712000

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 7, 2011, 20:27.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2010, 15:14 Rigs

Can you give a dog a small dose of Benadryl?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dog+benadryl

Smartass...

Thanks for that though, it hadn't occured to me to do that...
...I was just about to search Google about dog allergies and the like...
...or nothin'...

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2010, 09:42 nin

You can, provided you check with your vet. My mother had a dachshund that would break out in hives, and the vet had her give the dog a small amount of children's benadryl, which helped.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2010, 08:49 Rogue3675

We have a hound mix who has skin alergies and of course it gets worse with the fall and spring time. Have you looked into Atpoica?
http://www.1800petmeds.com/Atopica-prod10658.html
It really helps with our dog but of course always check out the side effects.

19. Re: Out of the Blue - POOP Nov 19, 2010, 07:45 Steelcamp

BLUE!
You just had to mention poop on the floor didn't you...After I read this I went home to cat poop on my beautiful cherry wood floor.....RIGHT NEXT TO THE DAMN CAT LITTER BOX!
Curse you Blue....Curse you!!!!!

-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2010, 00:11 xXBatmanXx

I carry tablets of Benadryl for when the dogs have a reaction to a bug bite, more importantly bees....  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2010, 22:59 Sepharo

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2010, 22:30 Rigs

Hmm, I don't usually believe in 'fate' or coincidence but right before reading OOTB, I was just about to search Google about dog allergies and the like. Tell me that's not just a tad freaky... Ucrazy

Anyway, we have a 7-year-old pure bred German Shepard. She's still pretty active in her age, but her hips are starting to give her serious trouble now as she gets older (a common thing in German Shepards). She has trouble or just outright refuses going up stairs or jumping over anything. And her favorite past-time, chasing the UPS truck down the road (we have 2 acres, fenced, on a corner lot), she has given up because of it. Now she just barks and yips so loud you can't hear yourself think. But the last few months have been outright hell for her and our two other dogs, a furball Pomeranian, 8 and a small poodle-mix, 13...

See, down here in Florida, we have every little biting thing known to human-kind. It seems anything that lives and is small enough to crawl in your pants has a nasty, annoying and infuriating bite. Mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks are the top 3. The mosquitoes die off in late summer, and if you manage not to get carried off by one until then, you usually just endure a annoying itch that seems to get worse as time passes, typically until you put something on it and scream bloody murder because you were, once again, too stupid to NOT scratch it until you put something on it. Fleas are the scourge of the FL insect world. No one likes them, they don't seem to have a reason to exist other than to annoy the living hell out of you and it's damn near impossible to keep them out of the house without a can of radioactive RAID, especially if you have multiple pets, as we do (3 dogs, 4 cats). But the worst of the bunch are the ticks. They make the brown/black house spiders down here almost appealing enough to keep as pets, if only to eat the little bastards...

Now, I'm not talking about the ones up north that some of you are familiar with. Those are larger, so-called 'Deer ticks' that tend to carry a laundry list of fashionable diseases. We have them here as well, but they are not as numerous and tend to be found in the deep woods or in the marshy fields. No, these ticks are smaller. MUCH smaller. In fact, most tend to be no bigger than a dot. They get bigger and when on a dog will plump up to a good size so you can have hours of fun popping them! Just look out for the blood. So, these little buggers get on your dog or cat, they come in and then they're in the carpet, in the bed linens, on the drapes...and then they multiply! You'd think they just passed a Tick Welfare Check Bonanza! You'll be sleeping and get a intense urge to scratch, this overwhelming sense of ITCH! You can't stop scratching, it feels SO good! If you're kinda dozy and don't pay attention, these things get under your fingernails and then they travel to wherever you happen to put them next...hmmm, you know, wherever that maybe be when your half-asleep...

But the reason I was looking for doggie allergies was because our Shepard has the exact same problem as Hudson. She's chewed the hair right off her rump and her skin is a rosy pink everywhere. She doesn't sleep at night, she paces back and forth thru the house (and we have hard wood floors), so she tends to keep us awake as well. She bites and scratches constantly and she rubs up against anything she can, whether it be a person, place or thing. She's constantly rubbing her nose on the floor and goes outside and rolls in the grass for 20 minutes at a time. She's miserable and we just have no idea how to fix it. Plus, finances are extremely tight right now, so we can't really take her to the vet AND get the meds also. It's one or the other. I would really like to know if there is something I can give her that doesn't need a prescription. Can you give a dog a small dose of Benadryl? I know you can give them childrens Tylenol. I don't want to kill my dog, obviously, but I have to do something. Giving her baths just seems to make it worse...

So, you're not alone, Blue...there...is..a.an..anot...ano.ther.... *disappears* Vanish

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2010, 22:26 Sepharo

Parents have a doggy door for their two Boxers. It's actually a large panel that wedges into a sliding/patio/storm door that can be easily removed.

My parents are out most of the day and often are gone on the weekends. The dogs take care of themselves, never have accidents and never do any damage. I actually need to go over there this weekend to feed them, usually some neighborhood kids or room renters do it. If we had some sort of timed food delivery those dogs would be fully self sufficient

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2010, 22:11 Elvis

Here's a link to a video that addresses separation anxiety (there's a bunch more there as well that address it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqSCkZxntsU

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2010, 19:08 xXBatmanXx

Haven't had an accident in the house in a LOOOOOOONG time...thank goodness. Poo out of a 90 pound lab isn't a little bit.

I still have to crate my youngest when I am not home - but it is because of his nature. Very energetic german short hair / choc lab mix at 1.5 years. The other 2 (4 years and 4.5 years) haven't been in a crate since they turned 1.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2010, 16:16 Dirwulf

PHJF wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 15:54:
You trained your dog to use the bathroom???

WHERE CAN I SIGN UP?

Its easy if you have the patience

http://www.ehow.com/how_4781134_train-puppy-use-toilet.html

That is but one link. Google is your friend.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2010, 15:54 PHJF

You trained your dog to use the bathroom???

WHERE CAN I SIGN UP?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2010, 14:33 xmb1121

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 11:21:
He didn't actually poop and pee out of anger or vengeance or displeasure or anything, but because he was scared. Anxiety will make dogs lose control of their bladder.

As for how to deal with it going forward... pfff... You could try crate training them, though that's always much better if you do it when they're a puppy.

Creston

My dog only used the bathroom inside under two situation: One, he got in the garbage and ate something that made him have the runs or when he was pissed at me.

Some people think dogs are smarter than the really are and some don't appreciate just don't appreciate how smart they really are. My dog and I understood our relationship and he knew the only way he could ever win an argument was by poop.

That said, if Gunnar doesn't have those clearly defined limits, it could have been out of fear, separation anxiety or a mix of those with mischief. No one knows but Gunnar.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2010, 14:11 space captain

you have to implement some sort of crate training for dogs to learn to respect the space they are living in.. a dog will not shit in their own cage (unless sick or deeply neurotic), and eventually they will understand that a house is like a large cage while you are away

but its all about what you allow with dogs, they dont have morals or anything like that - you have to train them to know what you want, and you have prove its better than what they want

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2010, 13:59  Blue 

Yikes, time for a doggy door! Sure hope Hudson isn't allergic to her food.

Extremely doubtful. While her diet is mostly poultry (raw, as has been discussed here before), and that can be the source of food allergies for a lot of dogs, she only exhibits problems at one specific time of year, which is from September through November, so presumably it's an environmental effect from the leaves turning or something like that.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2010, 13:09 Steelcamp

EEWWW  
-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2010, 12:36 Acleacius

Yikes, time for a doggy door! Sure hope Hudson isn't allergic to her food.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2010, 11:47 Pigeon

Authorities say a 67-year-old rural Wisconsin man enraged over Bristol Palin's "Dancing with the Stars" routine blasted his television with a shotgun... They say Cowan loaded his shotgun and blasted the TV before turning the gun on his wife, who escaped.

A reasonable reaction until the last bit. Maybe the wife voted for her.

From what I understand she's an awful dancer, and only being kept on the show because a bunch of crazy ultra conservatives are voting for her no matter what.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2010, 11:21 Creston

He didn't actually poop and pee out of anger or vengeance or displeasure or anything, but because he was scared. Anxiety will make dogs lose control of their bladder.

As for how to deal with it going forward... pfff... You could try crate training them, though that's always much better if you do it when they're a puppy.

Creston

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo