Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 3 Tease?

In response to a tweet or two from Geoff Keighley about premieres and teases to be included with today's announcement of nominees for Spike's annual video game awards, EA's Patrick Buechner adds a tweet of his own saying "Bioware fans pay attention ..." Adding more fuel to the fire is a post on Eurogamer.net with: "The latest screenshots for BioWare show mystery new game." Mass Effect 3? A game where Commander Shepard plays poker with Wallace and Gromit? Seems we'll know more soon. The nominees will be announced later today, and the Spike VGAs air December 11.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 18, 2010, 21:59 Pete

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 01:01:
Pete wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 22:35:
But why oh why did I get the first two mass effects on the 360?

Because you're not a real gamer.

Not any more anyways. I only play about a couple hours a week now. New Vegas will take a while to pass...

Doin' it Big
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 18, 2010, 01:01 ForgedReality

Pete wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 22:35:

Because you're not a real gamer.

42. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 18, 2010, 00:22 Jerykk

I'm much the same, though I don't quite reach the same level of adoration. I even enjoyed Jade Empire. I'll probably end up enjoying DA2 too, but not to the same degree that I enjoyed DA1. I was genuinely moved by DA1, by both the writing and the fact that it was a big-budget, hardcore CRPG. DA2 might have good writing but will it be a hardcore RPG? All signs say no.  

41. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 23:57 Prez

The Mass Effect games are for me the rare creatures that end up far more enjoyable than the sum of their parts would suggest. I finished both thinking, "My God - that was one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had!". Ask me to explain why, and I just shrug. They aren't particularly innovative, they have weak role-playing, the stories can be a bit cliche, and there a all kinds of annoyances. But I loved 'em both.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

40. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 22:56 Jerykk

Mass Effect was never an RPG rich of the hardcore RPG elements. Why people, I wonder so, expected some freaking Anachronox 2 instead of Mass Effect 2 out of Mass Effect's sequal is beyond me.

While awesome, Anachronox wasn't much of an RPG either. In fact, one could say that ME has more in common with Anachronox than most RPGs.

I'd love to see Anachronox 2, btw. Non-pretentious sci-fi ftw.

39. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 22:35 Pete

Wooo! Can't wait to find out which alien chick we can have sex with next!

Doin' it Big

38. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 18:45 Verno

entr0py wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 18:05:
Since they've set it up as a trilogy with a single overarching story, it's good they're not waiting too long to get on with it.

The second game is a bit puzzling in this regard as the whole thing has little to do with the overarching plot and feels like a series of disconnected side missions presented as story. The quality and writing were there but it felt disjointed and a bit disappointing after the strong setup in ME1. I think they overshot a bit in ME1 by killing off Saren and went too far into the Reaper storyline. The lack of a big villain in ME2 really hurt it too.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

37. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 18:11 Eldaron Imotholin

entr0py wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 18:05:
Since they've set it up as a trilogy with a single overarching story, it's good they're not waiting too long to get on with it.

I've quite enjoyed the series. And while I agree they could have perhaps taken the gameplay in a better direction. There were many things that needed to be fixed about the first game, and the second was still a huge improvement in my opinion.

This.

Mass Effect was never an RPG rich of the hardcore RPG elements. Why people, I wonder so, expected some freaking Anachronox 2 instead of Mass Effect 2 out of Mass Effect's sequal is beyond me.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

36. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 18:08 VoodooV

Thinking makes my brain hurt.

ME3 needs to be nothing but QTE. Aiming and shooting is just so tedious. Pushing your stick forward to move forward? ugh..I just can't be bothered to do that. </sarcasm>

35. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 18:05 entr0py

I've quite enjoyed the series. And while I agree they could have perhaps taken the gameplay in a better direction. There were many things that needed to be fixed about the first game, and the second was still a huge improvement in my opinion.

34. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 18:02 Dr. D. Schreber

Creston wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 16:56:
Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 16:09:
That rifle in the screenshot is definitely the Incisor without the weird little thingie below the very end of the barrel (which I assume is Bioware's idea of s futuristic bipod of some kind.)

I don't know why everyone complains about losing ME1's inventory. There was very little actual depth, there were only three or four actual different items in any category (pistols, shotguns, armor, ammo mods, etc) and 90% of every individual item was just a numbered tier version of one of those. That's not depth, that's complexity for the sake of being complex to the point of obfuscation. Anyone who played the console version before the PC version can attest to how much the original awful interface was streamlined into something far more user-friendly, and yet, despite this, it didn't change the fact that the massive amount of copy-paste items was suffocating and required you to spend much more time with inventory management than is sane. It would've been better if they'd fixed it, but between keeping the broken system and losing it, losing it is no great loss.

The inventory thing is no great loss, since it was horribly implemented and it offered basically no items anyways. All you ever used it for was to put a few different mods on your weapon, which they now have with ammo powers. So that's about a wash.

However, ditching the Mako and planet exploration for the sake of "SCANNING!" was just fucking retarded. All everyone wanted was for:

A) Planet exploration to be useful and interesting.
B) The Mako to not control like a fucking yoyo.

Bioware's answer?

C) Disregard entire game mode, and replace with Dumbest Minigame Ever Invented!

Creston

I've had a thought in the back of my head for awhile that ME is actually somewhat underfunded for its scope, which is why we have pre-rendered scenes like this of a caliber that can be matched in in-engine cutscenes these days (go-to examples: Legacy of Kain, Metal Gear) but which ME utterly fails at doing; compare the cinematography here with any in-game cutscene, especially ones involving haptic interfaces. The environment is severely stripped down and characters don't have much at all in the way of body language.

Likewise, I think the decision to axe the copy-paste exploration instead of making it not copy-paste came down simply to the fact that they have nowhere near the development resources to actually build something like that.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

33. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 17:26 Verno

briktal wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 16:28:
But in ME1, once you went inside a building or mine on the minor planets, or even just to a storyline planet, it turned into tight corridors. The only thing ME2 really lacked there were the storyline planet vehicle sections.

They copy and pasted something like 5 interior designs for the first game. I don't think their laziness is an indicator that it wouldn't work with wider spaces and more open environments. It's not like ME2 had astounding levels of detail in those corridors either, it just wasn't solid color textures everywhere.

It's just another example of not trying to find the middle ground. Like Creston said, they don't seem to try much, if something doesn't work 100% the first time they toss it entirely. Some things are worth improving.

32. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 17:20 JoeNapalm

Creston wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 16:56:
Bioware's answer?

Creston

You hit the nail on the head with that, Creston.

Bioware looked at what was wrong with ME1 and, instead of FIXING it, they just carved it out of the game entirely.

Baby and bathwater, both out the bloody window.

The "oh, the inventory sucked anyway, so who misses it" perspective is understandable...if there weren't successful examples of how to do it right.

Look, I own a PS3. I don't hate consoles. I just hate what consoles make devs do to games that would otherwise have been awesome on the PC. ME1? Great game - but it would have been a lot better without the screwed up GUI and Halo-esque repetitive, limited environments...both of which are indisputably the result of console-oriented design constraints. For ME2, they identified the problem areas...then just craved them out like the Spanish Inquisition going after a rumor.

I enjoyed ME1 and ME2, but I can say that and still be very disappointed by the poor design choices, and concerned that ME3/DA will go even further in the wrong direction. Anyone who refuses to learn from history, etc.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

31. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 16:56 Creston

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 16:09:
That rifle in the screenshot is definitely the Incisor without the weird little thingie below the very end of the barrel (which I assume is Bioware's idea of s futuristic bipod of some kind.)

I don't know why everyone complains about losing ME1's inventory. There was very little actual depth, there were only three or four actual different items in any category (pistols, shotguns, armor, ammo mods, etc) and 90% of every individual item was just a numbered tier version of one of those. That's not depth, that's complexity for the sake of being complex to the point of obfuscation. Anyone who played the console version before the PC version can attest to how much the original awful interface was streamlined into something far more user-friendly, and yet, despite this, it didn't change the fact that the massive amount of copy-paste items was suffocating and required you to spend much more time with inventory management than is sane. It would've been better if they'd fixed it, but between keeping the broken system and losing it, losing it is no great loss.

The inventory thing is no great loss, since it was horribly implemented and it offered basically no items anyways. All you ever used it for was to put a few different mods on your weapon, which they now have with ammo powers. So that's about a wash.

However, ditching the Mako and planet exploration for the sake of "SCANNING!" was just fucking retarded. All everyone wanted was for:

A) Planet exploration to be useful and interesting.
B) The Mako to not control like a fucking yoyo.

Bioware's answer?

Creston

30. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 16:36 PHJF

I maintain that the only genuinely good thing about Mass Effect has been the lore. The codex provided some quality hard sci-fi. Every other aspect has been descent at best.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

29. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 16:28 briktal

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 16:16:
I don't know why everyone complains about losing ME1's inventory

There's a middle ground between cumbersome inventory with lots of nonsensical items and no inventory at all, that's what most peoples gripe was.

Some games use item management as a tension factor and no I don't mean mucking around with the interface, I mean making actual decisions that have an impact on the gameplay. Do I carry this weapon which is more situational or drop it to carry extra ammo/medigels/whatever? RPGs have usually done as well to some extent, you typically don't just have a bottomless bag that will carry everything in the universe. In ME and DA:O they ruined it by making the inventory too big and overloading the games with too many filler items that didn't really assist gameplay mechanics.

Inventories are only cumbersome and ineffective if design fails in that regard. I don't begrudge Bioware for trying something different there but that combined with the other streamlining really takes a lot of the depth out of the game. When stripped down, you have an awkward shooter of sorts along with a lot of (admittedly high quality) dialogue. Sometimes the quality of the filler makes the game in the same way that the journey can be more fulfilling than the destination.

It's not that ME2 wasn't a good game, it's that they went from one extreme to the other between titles instead of trying to find a happy medium. Empty, barren planets with endless terrain or tight corridors that play out more like traditional videogame levels instead of planets in a universe is another example of that same back and forth.

But in ME1, once you went inside a building or mine on the minor planets, or even just to a storyline planet, it turned into tight corridors. The only thing ME2 really lacked there were the storyline planet vehicle sections.

28. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 16:16 Verno

I don't know why everyone complains about losing ME1's inventory

There's a middle ground between cumbersome inventory with lots of nonsensical items and no inventory at all, that's what most peoples gripe was.

Some games use item management as a tension factor and no I don't mean mucking around with the interface, I mean making actual decisions that have an impact on the gameplay. Do I carry this weapon which is more situational or drop it to carry extra ammo/medigels/whatever? RPGs have usually done as well to some extent, you typically don't just have a bottomless bag that will carry everything in the universe. In ME and DA:O they ruined it by making the inventory too big and overloading the games with too many filler items that didn't really assist gameplay mechanics.

Inventories are only cumbersome and ineffective if design fails in that regard. I don't begrudge Bioware for trying something different there but that combined with the other streamlining really takes a lot of the depth out of the game. When stripped down, you have an awkward shooter of sorts along with a lot of (admittedly high quality) dialogue. Sometimes the quality of the filler makes the game in the same way that the journey can be more fulfilling than the destination.

It's not that ME2 wasn't a good game, it's that they went from one extreme to the other between titles instead of trying to find a happy medium. Empty, barren planets with endless terrain or tight corridors that play out more like traditional videogame levels instead of planets in a universe is another example of that same back and forth.

27. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 16:09 Dr. D. Schreber

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

26. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 15:18 Verno

Yeah that stuff got me and I really disliked that bizarre quasi-jump vault move. You can't just jump, oh no, you need to hump cover first, then vault up. Then if you need to move up another level you have to repeat it. At one point in the game you have to do it 4 times in a row and it just looks hilarious, I don't know how anyone takes that seriously.  

25. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 14:23 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 13:13:
I don't know, even as a shooter ME2 was kinda clunky. Nowhere near as clunky as the first game to be certain but well *humps conveniently placed waist cover then hits context sensitive button to awkward vault over it several times in a row*

The one-button-does-all thing drove me insane. Luckily I was able to tone it out eventually. Replaying the game on hard mode though and having the little bastard jump over cover when you meant to attach to it is very rage inducing.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo