Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 17, 2010, 02:57 Prez

Me, I just hope "Kinect" and "Move" fail lest my faith in humanity drop even further.

All we need now is a way to integrate these nonsensical toys into watching 'Dancing With the Stars' and humanity's downfall will be all but complete.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 18:32 Verno

But to say peripherals don't sell anymore is a fallacy.The historical data is there but there's also a strong body of evidence to say that it's changed. I'd say it's an open question at this point.

Good thing I didn't say that then. I said peripherals have poor attach rates and that's not only historically true but currently true as well unless you have data that points to the contrary.

Move is only cheaper if you plan to play it alone. That's not what these games are designed for.

I would disagree with that statement, given how many announced games are getting Move support patched in while Kinect games require full purchase price. I'd say both were close to even all things considered but regardless you miss the glaringly obvious point - consumers look at price tag first and foremost and do not assess long term value nor do obvious math.

Oddly enough, plenty of people have had it work just fine with less than that.

Given that you cannot quantify anything you are saying there, I will stick to what reviewers and Microsoft themselves say about the distance/space/obstruction requirements.

I agree it's a big problem, but I don't think it's the problem you're making it out to be. Many, many people simply need to move the coffee table.

I didn't make it out to be anything but a big problem so you are disagreeing for the sake of doing so apparently. It is yet another obstacle for uptake and after the fact peripherals face enough of those as it is.

The first half of your statement was true. The second half was false. You can't make a blanket statement like that and apply it to the whole population.

Amusing, given the source.

Again, untrue. Microsoft alone does not dictate this, plus the timetables for the next generation have actually been sped up since this was announced.

Again, I will go with Microsoft has publicly said on this subject and that is that they want Kinect to continue the 360 another 3-5 years without introducing more console hardware.

But I'm not going to sit here and claim it isn't fun and doesn't fill a hole in the market, nor will I act like it will end my hobby as I know it. The Wii certainly didn't do that.

No one even brought up fun, that's more straw man crap. As for filling a hole in the market, that's highly subjective and shows more about your bias than mine. And again, no one even said anything about hobbies being threatened. I said it will have an impact on the industry, stop exaggerating. You can feel free to disagree but stop telling me what -I- mean.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 17:21 Beamer

I'm not convinced that the public is willing to shell $150 en masse for this device after buying Rock Band gear, WiiMotes and so on. Perhaps you are but I doubt that will surprise anyone.

I'm not. I stated many times on this board that I thought the right price for this product was $99, and that anything more would really damage its adoption rate.
But to say peripherals don't sell anymore is a fallacy. The historical data is there but there's also a strong body of evidence to say that it's changed. I'd say it's an open question at this point.

Or the cheaper Move. Or perhaps no motion peripherals at all considering the market has been exposed to them for awhile now.

Move is only cheaper if you plan to play it alone. That's not what these games are designed for.

You need a minimum of 8 feet between yourself and the sensor, it must be 100% clear of obstructions and you also need 4 feet clear to either side of you.

Oddly enough, plenty of people have had it work just fine with less than that.
I agree it's a big problem, but I don't think it's the problem you're making it out to be. Many, many people simply need to move the coffee table.

Meaningless statement without context is meaningless.

The first half of your statement was true. The second half was false. You can't make a blanket statement like that and apply it to the whole population.

. If successful it will delay the next console generation considerably, Microsoft has even said as much.

Again, untrue. Microsoft alone does not dictate this, plus the timetables for the next generation have actually been sped up since this was announced.

indeed it apparently costs $70 to make according to Slashdot, meaning Microsoft is making a very healthy profit on each sale even after expenses

Less R&D and manufacturing, but yes, once again I agree, selling this for over $100 was stupid. I do not have one. I will not have one at this price. But I'm not going to sit here and claim it isn't fun and doesn't fill a hole in the market, nor will I act like it will end my hobby as I know it. The Wii certainly didn't do that.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 16:06 Tumbler

Hell, my gym membership cost my $21 a month, and it includes free daycare while I work out (which I do not use, as I have no children). And I have access to every possible machine, all the classes, pool, tanning, tennis and racquet ball courts, etc. Seriously, what the hell do you get for $70 a month per person?

This is the club:

http://www.sparetimeclubs.com/club/scripts/section/section.asp?NS=DH0

It's comparable to Club Sport if you're familiar with those? It has all the features you mentioned come with your membership, but probably nicer facilities? Not sure what you use, I've been to gyms that charge $10-$20 a month and I don't care for them personally.

It's fancier than it needs to be for sure...which is why paying for it each month feels wasteful if I'm not using it. And taking walks and jogging is good enough for me and since i have dogs that kills 2 birds with one stone....but the wife shot me down. She is sure she'll be getting back to the gym now that her morning sickness is subsiding... Oh well.

These upscale gyms are closer to country clubs in my opinion, but no exclusivity issues. A lot of the moms in the local area get together to do classes so I think she's got more reason to go than I do. Child care was the big selling point for me, she can go work out and take the baby off my hands for an hour or 2 and I get "game time"!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 15:44 PHJF

Maybe a lot of people bought them for their immense hacking potential? It really is a neat-looking little device.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 14:46 Verno

And that's certainly changed a bit in recent years.

I'm not convinced that the public is willing to shell $150 en masse for this device after buying Rock Band gear, WiiMotes and so on. Perhaps you are but I doubt that will surprise anyone.

Or Kinect.

Or the cheaper Move. Or perhaps no motion peripherals at all considering the market has been exposed to them for awhile now.

For most it's just moving the coffee table. Plenty of people did this for Wii bowling.

Bull fucking shit. You need a minimum of 8 feet between yourself and the sensor, it must be 100% clear of obstructions and you also need 4 feet clear to either side of you. That's a front room, not most living rooms which usually have tables, ottomans, kids toys and other nonsense all over the place. This is being marketed at the casual user and not the gamer, your own words. In my experience the casual user doesn't typically have an empty living room, far from it.

True and false.

Meaningless statement without context is meaningless.

Why? Even if successful it'll never effect you.

Incorrect, that's the same silliness people said about developers moving from the PC to consoles. If successful it will delay the next console generation considerably, Microsoft has even said as much. That in turn will directly impact the entire industry including both consoles and the PC. But I'm not worried about it being successful anyways, I was just stating my personal opinion on the outcome. I don't think it's a valid gaming technology thus I'd like to see it fail, its yet another overpriced peripheral from Microsoft. It reeks of something supplanted to make money and indeed it apparently costs $70 to make according to Slashdot, meaning Microsoft is making a very healthy profit on each sale even after expenses.

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 14:41 Enahs

If you are paying $140 a month for a gym membership for both you and your wife, I suggest you change gyms man. That is ridiculous.

50 lbs is 50 lbs. Jogging 7mph is jogging 7 mph.

Go to a cheaper gym; you will also find that the new cheaper gyms have the same equipment if not better.

Hell, my gym membership cost my $21 a month, and it includes free daycare while I work out (which I do not use, as I have no children). And I have access to every possible machine, all the classes, pool, tanning, tennis and racquet ball courts, etc. Seriously, what the hell do you get for $70 a month per person?

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 14:37 Beamer

Peripherals typically have very poor attach rates and the industry is usually reluctant to support them until that rises. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy - no one wants to make software for them until more people own them and people don't want to buy them until there is more software for them.

And that's certainly changed a bit in recent years.

The 360's installed base is largely comprised of "core" gamers and Kinect Adventures isn't exactly the kind of game they like to play.

Which is why Kinect isn't aimed at them.

Microsoft wants a chunk of the Wii crowd but I think they'll find the Wii crowd was largely transitional anyways and most of them will have moved onto whatever new shininess caught their eye - like their smartphone or etc.

Or Kinect.

. I don't know many people who will re-arrange their living room for this thing either.

For most it's just moving the coffee table. Plenty of people did this for Wii bowling.

It faces a huge number of obstacles and has very little payoff in the end.

True and false.

I hope it falls flat on its face

Why? Even if successful it'll never effect you. You barely play console games as is, if I remember, and it'll never really be something that gets used for hardcore games. It's for stupid fun with your girlfriend and her friends. It's probably awesome at that, like the Wii was, like the WiiFit board is. Yeah, you get diminishing returns there, but for all the months the Wii sat collecting dust I certainly got my money's worth from WiiSports, WiiFit, WarioWare, Mario Kart and Mario Wii (the latter two of which didn't need to be a Wii title.)
How? Because having people over that didn't normally play games and playing these games with them was awesome.

It's like me saying I hope the next Barbie dreamcar fails. What the hell does it matter to me? It'll never effect me in any way, shape or form. Kinect will never effect the people here that have no interest in playing stupid casual games with stupid casual friends.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 14:24 Verno

You wasting money on something you don't use has nothing to do with the value of a peripheral videogame product. I spend $300 a month on meals out with my girlfriend but that doesn't make Kinect a bargain. Using that rationale you could justify all sorts of wild idiocy. One thing is totally unconnected to the other.

If you want to justify your purchase to yourself by saying "oh hey I waste money somewhere, lets use it here instead!" then go crazy, no one is telling you how to spend your money. That's your business, we don't care

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 14:15 Tumbler

You're buying a Kinect every month so that you don't have to pay for a gym membership for child care and because your wife is pregnant?

I was comparing the fact that I don't want to spend $150 once on kinect with the fact that I'm throwing almost as much money at this gym membership each month getting nothing out of it. Saying $150 is too much for kinect (and I'm saying that) sounds stupid when I throw $140 a month at my gym which I don't use and probably won't until after the wife has the baby.

But I fixed it! I am going to have her doctor order her to stop going ot the gym and use that to get the membership on hold for $5 a month for a period of 3months - 12 months!

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 14:09 Verno

That was the most nonsensical post I've ever seen you make. You're buying a Kinect every month so that you don't have to pay for a gym membership for child care and because your wife is pregnant? Freak  

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 14:05 Tumbler

The Kinect doesn't augment controllers though, it has nothing to do with them. If you want to blow $150 on it then whatever floats your boat but you could replace that activity with anything involving beer and have the same result. Just sayin

I'm not proud of it but we spend close to $150 each month on a Gym membership that we aren't using very much...but it has free child care for up to 2 hours so I keep seeing it as a possibility that I might want to work out and not be able to if I get rid of it....

I'm calling them right now to put that membership on hold...Wife is pregnant and I'm playing black ops....buying a Kinect each month would make more sense than paying this gym membership...

Update! Hahaha, I'm so cool. I was going to put the membership into hold status for $25 a month because lying about a medical hardship for $5 a month seemed like a poor use of karma. Then I realized that her doctor will be happy to instruct her not to go the gym during the pregnancy! SCORE! $5 a month! Just saved myself $135 bucks a month!

....wait....now I have to buy kinect...don't I? Karma's a bitch.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2010, 14:12.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 12:46 Cutter

Look for 999,999 thousand of these things on sale for $5 at garage sales this summer.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 12:42 Verno

The Kinect doesn't augment controllers though, it has nothing to do with them. If you want to blow $150 on it then whatever floats your boat but you could replace that activity with anything involving beer and have the same result. Just sayin  

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 12:29 Tim

Yeah i've got one - the wife and I find it hilarious (just got adventures and dance atm) as well as feeling a bit 'sci-fi'. It's cool, yes it's a toy and that's the point. They're not seeking to replace controllers just augment them - although in some games it's obviously the only controller required.

Mates + kinnect + beer probably equals injury but, hey, it'll be fun this weekend

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 11:42 Tony!!!

I got myself a Kinect when it came out. I also bought Fitness Evolved which is the most fun I've had working out in like 'forever'.
Even with the currently poor line up as far as games go at the moment, this title make it all worth it. My legs are so solid now and guess who is ranked #10 in the world....'This Guy'.

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 11:37 mch

Tumbler wrote on Nov 16, 2010, 10:00:
The motion capture stuff on the pc looks interesting, there is a youtube clip of someone showing how the camera captures in 3d and creates a picture, or mabye it was 2d capture and plasters that over an image with depth? Not sure exactly what it's doing but it looked interesting.

There's a collection of videos here. I thought the nightshot video was pretty interesting.

http://www.creativeapplications.net/news/kinect-opensource-news/

PSN: CaseDesignate

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 11:05 Creston

Like I said before, the Kinect will still sell very well on release. It's a new toy, and consumers are toy-obsessed. (witness the iPad.)

Whether it will sell GAMES, and whether it will keep selling beyond the early adopters, as Verno pointed out, is the big question. I definitely hope it won't, because console games are already dumbed down to the point of retardedness. The last thing we need is for every fucking developer to start making Dance Dance Revolution.

Creston

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 10:30 Verno

So you go buy one then  

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2010, 10:29 InBlack

Well thats a "+" in my book  

I have a nifty blue line!

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.