Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

C64 RPG Newcomer Nears

The Newcomer Website has details on this role-playing game in the works for the Commodore 64, which becomes a little less perplexing when it becomes clear that this game has been in development for 20 years now (which raises its own set of perplexing questions, but it's best to stay on track at this point). The game is apparently near release, as an update from November 1 has word they are gearing up to create a gold master. There are articles on the history of the project on Play This Thing and GMZ. Thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: C64 RPG Newcomer Nears Nov 16, 2010, 15:15 gilly775

Oh man, Bruce Lee, Bump n Jump, Spy Hunter, Beachead I and II, Epyx's Destroyer (best sim game I thought at the time), Silent Service, Impossible Mission (never could figure out how to beat it), Alien, Super Bowl Sunday, and so many more. The C64 was awesome back then!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: C64 RPG Newcomer Nears Nov 16, 2010, 08:49 Nameless Again

Icewind wrote on Nov 16, 2010, 02:19:

Also, wasn't it LOAD "*", 8, 1?

Yeah, like coldcut said that would load the first file. My disks usually had more than one game (even though I only listed one in my post) so I had to select which one to load by spelling out the first few characters. Just habit I put that in there.

I gave away my working C64, 1541 disk drive and monitor years ago to a nostalgic buddy of mine, along with all my disks. Thank Zeus for emulators! Man, what games didn't I play? The Games series by Epyx (Summer, Summer II, Winter, World, CA...), all the old Accoldade titles (Test Drive, Killed Until Dead, etc), Archon, Beachhead II, Nemesis the Warlock, Caveman Ughlympics, Farmer's Daughter, Ballblazer, Karateka, I could really just go on and on listing games....

Good times.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2010, 08:55.

13. Re: C64 RPG Newcomer Nears Nov 16, 2010, 08:34 eRe4s3r

They are still sold, but only in bulk and i think production is only "on demand". 1$ a disk.

This a really befuddling release, normally i am all of nostalgia but theres no way in hell i will ever touch a c64 again, and switch disks... and wait.. and wait.. and wait...

c64 emulator like CCS-Emulator or VICE should handle it though. Without the pesky disk swapping. And with proper resolutions and scaling enhancements...

12. Re: C64 RPG Newcomer Nears Nov 16, 2010, 07:47 Parallax Abstraction

Fun fact: Did you guys know that the agonising load times on the C64 were the result of an engineering flaw? The engineers originally designed the drive with a bunch of redundant circuit pathways for debugging. They marked them as being removed from the paper schematic they sent to the Japanese factory (yep, they used paper schematics then) but someone at the factory misread the plans and re-added the redundant pathways. By the time the problem was found, the drives were already well into production and since Commodore was in poor financial shape prior to the C64 release, they couldn't afford to fix it and had to leave them that way. Since there was no way to engineer them out without breaking compatibility, they became a permanent part of the lineup.

Yep, all those hours of our lives spent waiting for things to load didn't have to be. That said, I had an Atari 130XE growing up that loaded super fast but I still wanted a C64.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

11. Re: C64 RPG Newcomer Nears Nov 16, 2010, 07:23 ASeven

My fondest memories are from my C64 and Speccy.

Wizball, Bombuzal, Last Ninja, IK+, Impossible Mission and its sequel, the Epyx Games games... man, those were awesome games and many are still quite good even today in gameplay.

Gotta go dig my old Zzap!64 mags I have here for old time's sakes.

10. Re: C64 RPG Newcomer Nears Nov 16, 2010, 05:55 coldcut

LOAD "$",8 loads the directory of the disc
LOAD "*",8,1 loads the first file found on the disc

Oh, the good old times... I remember playing Pool of Radiance on C64, and because it had no disc acceleration I had to wait ~ 5 minutes until a fight was loaded (which applied to EVERY fight ... the game was daaaamn long because of that).

Ohhh, and I remember drawing the levels, dungeons onto checkered (correct?) paper and later on I wrote a C64 program which allowed me to draw and save these with the C64 line drawing symbols ... oh boy, cool times indeed

9. Re: C64 RPG Newcomer Nears Nov 16, 2010, 02:19 Icewind

I actually still own my Commodore 64, but the Disk Drive is dead.

Also, wasn't it LOAD "*", 8, 1?

I remember half my games were pirated and I'd be greeted with the familiar Eaglesoft crack group logo and the awesome chiptune music that played differently in each game.

Staying up until midnight playing Pool of Radiance, getting introduced to Ultima 3, playing Infocom games and thinking they were the most interactive a game could possibly get.

Time to bust out the emulator again.

8. Re: C64 RPG Newcomer Nears Nov 16, 2010, 01:09 Tanto Edge

...so how do I buy it to play it...?
I seriously doubt Walmart will carry this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

7. Re: C64 RPG Newcomer Nears Nov 16, 2010, 00:32 Bard

shift+run/stop
press play on tape
i think i just got over the nostalgia

6. Re: C64 RPG Newcomer Nears Nov 15, 2010, 23:10 Nameless Again

LOAD "$",8
List
000000 OldAssRPGGame

LOAD "Old*",8,1
RUN

5. Re: C64 RPG Newcomer Nears Nov 15, 2010, 22:58 Asmo

I think this game just blew Duke Nukem Forever out of the water for the longest in dev... \= |  

4. Re: C64 RPG Newcomer Nears Nov 15, 2010, 21:57 Kosumo

Have you not played Minecraft? You don't gnaw wood with your teeth, you punch it with your fist then make a wooden axe.

Using minecraft, you could emulate a C64 if you where a Johnny-no-mates-geek (plus smart)

3. Re: C64 RPG Newcomer Nears Nov 15, 2010, 21:46 mazling

At what point - or with which historical piece of technology - does emulation and backward gaming become too painful?
Excuse me while I just go outside for some firewood, which I shall acquire by gnawing down a tree with my teeth.

2. Re: C64 RPG Newcomer Nears Nov 15, 2010, 21:39 Shok

Gah, I can't imagine all the disk swapping (EDIT) wow, 11 single sided disks will be needed for that game. I remember playing Bard's Tale and Ultima4 on the C64 and swapping in 3-4 floppies throughout the games. It's 2010, can you even buy 5.25" floppies for the C64  

1. Re: C64 RPG Newcomer Nears Nov 15, 2010, 21:27 Kosumo

I hope its on Steam! Thinking2  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo