Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard's "Diablo-Related Concept for Consoles"

Blizzard now lists job openings for a Lead Programmer, Console, a Senior Producer, Console, and a Lead Designer, Console (thanks IncGamers). Though all three jobs under the general heading of Diablo III, a post to the Battle.net forums by Blizzard states "this is not an announcement of a console title," but that they are "currently exploring a Diablo-related concept for consoles." Here's word:

As some of you may have seen over on the Diablo III home page, we’re currently exploring a Diablo-related concept for consoles. As we’ve said in the past, with proper care the gameplay could suit the console platform, and we’re interested in seeing what talent out there might be interested in contributing to such a project.

To further reiterate what’s posted on the home page: this is not an announcement of a console title. We are first and foremost developing Diablo III for Windows and Mac PCs, and we have no intention of allowing a console interpretation to delay or otherwise affect the release of the game. As always feel free to discuss this topic here, but please note that we don’t have any further details to share at this time.

If you or someone you know would be interested in joining the Diablo team, then head over to the job posts to check out the requirements and submit an application.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Blizzard's Nov 16, 2010, 02:36 Jerykk

Mouse & Keyboard is not some magical, all-powerful control combination for every game out there. Some games are downright painful to play without analog sticks and many developers get lazy when they don't have to be frugal with their controls.

I'm pretty sure Diablo isn't one of those games that play better with analog sticks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Blizzard's Nov 16, 2010, 02:00 Nighthawk

Well it's Blizzard, so we have nothing to worry about...I'm intrigued though...
We as in PC gamers that is

13. Re: Blizzard's "Diablo-Related Concept for Consoles" Nov 15, 2010, 23:16 eunichron

If it's anything like Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes for Xbox, I'm sold.  

12. Re: Blizzard's Nov 15, 2010, 21:23 Wildone

Delay D3? wtf is it ever coming out? At this point its pure vaporware...  

11. Re: Blizzard's Nov 15, 2010, 21:14 Ventura

Mouse & Keyboard is not some magical, all-powerful control combination for every game out there. Some games are downright painful to play without analog sticks and many developers get lazy when they don't have to be frugal with their controls.

Each to their own. For just about all things non-Rock Band, mouse and keyboard is god for me. It kicks arse for RPGs, FPSs, and RTSs. I'll only bring out a gamepad for something a like a shootemup or a racing game, which is just about never.

10. Re: Blizzard's Nov 15, 2010, 20:51 Zyrxil

Ruffiana wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 20:23:
Or hell, here's a thought, they release a mouse and keyboard on consoles and we no longer have to keep dumbing these games down for anyone.

Or more likely, they just stuff 5 context sensitive actions onto one button.

9. Re: Blizzard's Nov 15, 2010, 20:46 Rattlehead

Like Michael Vick around dogs, this will not end well....  

8. Re: Blizzard's Nov 15, 2010, 20:45 Cutter

Why does this make me nervous? It has the stench of Kodick about it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Blizzard's Nov 15, 2010, 20:23 Ruffiana

Or hell, here's a thought, they release a mouse and keyboard on consoles and we no longer have to keep dumbing these games down for anyone.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2010, 20:31.

6. Re: Blizzard's Nov 15, 2010, 20:22 Dev

crazyfingers wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 19:23:
I'm not sure why any of this would need to be limited on console, current gen Consoles have decent sized hard drives and very capable processors.
But on xbox 360, they require games to work without hdds because the base model was sold without one for so long. So devs who make a cross platform console game (xbox 360/ps3) have to make sure it works without an hdd. So you can't count any sized hdds for something like that. The CPU may be capable, but the ram and video isn't very much. For instance the xbox 360 has only 512 megs of RAM which is SHARED ram between system and video (kinda like computers with integrated intel graphics). So if they are each taking half of the shared you are talking 256 megs video memory and 256 megs system memory. The graphics chip is over 5 years old by this point, so its several generations behind, but its biggest handicap is the amount of RAM.
For instance, SC2 (which is hardly a latest graphics game) requires a min of 1gb ram, and thats without the extra half a gig overhead that vista/7 add. It actually requires 2 gigs on the mac.
And none of that adds in the video ram a card needs to run 1080p

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2010, 20:50.

5. Re: Blizzard's "Diablo-Related Concept for Consoles" Nov 15, 2010, 20:09 Silicon Avatar

I liked Balder's Gate on the Gamecube. It was sort of like Diablo. It wasn't a "purist RPG" but it was easy to pick up and fun to play with other people in the room.  

4. Re: Blizzard's "Diablo-Related Concept for Consoles" Nov 15, 2010, 20:05 StingingVelvet

Consoles have had many similar titles, like the Marvel Ultimate Alliance titles. Basically the analog stick moves and you whacky whacky with the a-button, then pretty much every other button can be used for "hotkeys."

Diablo is far from too deep or complex to work on a console. Far, far from it.

3. Re: Blizzard's Nov 15, 2010, 19:36 Draugr

crazyfingers wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 19:23:
I'm not sure why any of this would need to be limited on console, current gen Consoles have decent sized hard drives and very capable processors.

The main limiting factor that i would imagine that can't be programmed around would be the interface difference. Diablo is at its heart a mouse driven game with keyboard inputs for very fast skill swapping. Much like an FPS handles better for keyboard/ mouse there will likely have to be alterations made to the game so that the players can compete on the same level, the difficulty curve will have to be adjusted for player input that isn't quite as fast and dynamic as a keyboard/ mouse combo.

They hardly have any memory, video or otherwise, this has a lot to do with it.

Lets also not forgot multiplayer couldn't just be handled by them the same way as PC, it would need to go through the respective console services, and all the BS they need to deal with on their end to do things like that.

I'm just glad this wont be effecting D3 itself, now I will just need to wait and hope it doesn't creep into any of their other products. Say no to consolitis!

It's going to take a lot more than having a mouse and keyboard hooked up to a console to fix the draw of dumbed down games the console crowd loves

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2010, 19:42.

2. Re: Blizzard's Nov 15, 2010, 19:23 crazyfingers

The main limiting factor that i would imagine that can't be programmed around would be the interface difference. Diablo is at its heart a mouse driven game with keyboard inputs for very fast skill swapping. Much like an FPS handles better for keyboard/ mouse there will likely have to be alterations made to the game so that the players can compete on the same level, the difficulty curve will have to be adjusted for player input that isn't quite as fast and dynamic as a keyboard/ mouse combo.

1. Re: Blizzard's "Diablo-Related Concept for Consoles" Nov 15, 2010, 19:08 Dev

Yeah its probably going to be something like that dead space release on wii (extraction?), its a different game because of the limitations of the controls and graphics.

So it will be like Diablo 3: Lord of the Dead edition for consoles, that is consolized in gameplay and UI, and graphics. At a guess, smaller levels, maybe not randomly generated (because of the cpu load that takes), lower res textures, simplified story, simplified loot system, etc.

As long as they keep them separate (which sounds like they are, after all its kinda late in the d3 development to consolize it at this point), I don't care if they do wtf ever they want on consoles. Its when the PC version is consolized to keep the game the same on all platforms that I dislike it.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo