Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Welcomes You Back

Blizzard is sending out emails to World of Warcraft players whose accounts have lapsed to invite them back to check out the MMORPG for the release of the Cataclysm expansion, reports IncGamers. They say players are being offered seven days of free play time to get re-addicted see what's up.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 17, 2010, 07:45 Mr. Tact

Well said, heroin. Indeed popularity is in no way a proof of quality - in games, food, movies, or anything else. I never "got" the Sims either and I don't ridicule the people that spend hours playing it.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 16, 2010, 20:54 heroin

Obviously, it is subjective. Mind you nearly every MMO has failed where WoW has held onto millions paying $15 a month. I think the game would have to be good in order to fulfill rabid MMOers or people who like Blizzard stylings (they can't release a bad game).

Popularity is usually not an indicator of a great game - look at the Sims, I think that game series blows, but I'm fairly sure it could be entertaining. Media that entertains greatly differs from "good". Look at Avatar do I think it's a great film like Chinatown or a Bergman film? Hell no. Do I think it's an entertaining film? Absolutely.

Do I think WoW is a classic game? To some degree... but I think it is a classic through it's medium being a massive game full of great sound, graphics and gameplay mechanics. It's not a classic sense in a game like Ultima IV, Baldur's Gate, Half-Life, System Shock, Planescape. But as an entertaining medium it is a classic in the sense of it's success... It's a classic in the way that Avatar is a classic in being entertaining enough to have grossed more profit than any other film in history. Doesn't mean it's good in the realm of real classics but it is very entertaining.

42. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 16, 2010, 15:51 Verno

Deathbishop wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 19:32:

The word 'good' is a subjective term. Everyone has their own opinion of what 'good' means.

In this instance, 12 million people have a different definition of what 'good' is than you. I guess that puts you in the minority.

Actually theres more gamers who don't play WoW as opposed to people that do so that would put me in the majority

Counter-counter-point: Farmville also has a vastly different demographic then WoW. Farmville is a social networking game. You can send shrubs and crap to 'friends'.

Denied sir, WoW isn't some difficult to grasp game, I'd wager theres a fair amount of overlap in that demographic.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

41. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 16, 2010, 00:00 Ventura

How old are you by chance? Because there is A TON OF GREAT GAMING that came years before MMOs!!!!!

I'm 36 mate.

I'm not saying MMO's are where it's at, actually for the most part I can't really stand them. I absolutely loved playing games like Super Metroid on my old SNES, or when I got into the pc, stuff like Doom 2 and Magic Carpet 2.

It's just... down the track, MMO memories tend to be more pronounced for me. I enjoyed the almost endless TA and Quake 1 lans with the guys, sure, but nothing makes me smile quite like thinking about the early days in Everquest.

40. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 23:01 The Half Elf

Verno wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 18:33:
Bad games don't get 12 million players, guys.

Counter-point: Farmville.

Lots of people playing something isn't necessarily connected to how "good" something is, whatever that means anyways.

Counter-counter-point: Farmville also has a vastly different demographic then WoW. Farmville is a social networking game. You can send shrubs and crap to 'friends'.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

39. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 22:41 kookaveetsa

Hehe, what's so funny is they're boasting millions of subscriptions yet this recent thing makes them sound desperate for cancelled subs to return, I laughed so much it made my day. Rotfl  
"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

38. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 22:27 Sepharo

fujiJuice wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 20:09:
I'd just like to add my name to the class of people who neither hate it, or are completely consumed by it, but simply enjoy it in moderation.

lung-butter wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 14:03:
I decided to try starcraft instead of wow. Games lasted only 10-30 minutes and it was over!

WoW lasts as long as the user wants, this is where personal responsibility comes into play. I am perfectly capable of playing an MMO for 30 minutes, and so are you, it is your choice to continue.

I haven't played WoW since launch but a huge group of my friends still do and from what I've seen it's the "social responsibility" that keeps people playing.

"Nah man, I wish I could come out tonight but you know that we raid on Tuesday."

37. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 20:09 fujiJuice

I'd just like to add my name to the class of people who neither hate it, or are completely consumed by it, but simply enjoy it in moderation.

lung-butter wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 14:03:
I decided to try starcraft instead of wow. Games lasted only 10-30 minutes and it was over!

WoW lasts as long as the user wants, this is where personal responsibility comes into play. I am perfectly capable of playing an MMO for 30 minutes, and so are you, it is your choice to continue.

36. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 19:56 Beamer

In this instance, 12 million people have a different definition of what 'good' is than you. I guess that puts you in the minority.

And Britney Spears has some of the top selling albums of all time.

Who really cares what anyone else likes? I think it sucks and therefore, as far as I'm concerned, it sucks. 12 million people disagree. None of their opinions mean shit to me. Mine means shit to them.

Why do we have to have this conversation every time someone dislikes a popular game? I hate it. They like it. Game over.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 19:32 Deathbishop

Verno wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 18:33:

Lots of people playing something isn't necessarily connected to how "good" something is, whatever that means anyways.

The word 'good' is a subjective term. Everyone has their own opinion of what 'good' means.

34. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 19:27 xXBatmanXx

Frijoles wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 17:56:
InBlack wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 10:24:
The funny thing is she dumped me only a few months onward but by that time I kind of lost all interest in coming back to it.

WoW will never dump you. *hug*

Those servers will be shut off one day.....and I will laugh.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

33. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 19:27 xXBatmanXx

Ventura wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 18:22:
I have to admit though, that most of my strongest gaming memories have come from the playing of MMOs. I've played a lot of RTSs and FPSs, but when I move on I don't feel like I take with me anything. It was just a way to pass the time. My early days with Everquest and Wow though, are filled with experiences that I remember.

How old are you by chance? Because there is A TON OF GREAT GAMING that came years before MMOs!!!!!

MMOs to me are a blink of the eye when it comes to gaming memories.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

32. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 18:33 Verno

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

31. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 18:22 Ventura

There's a lot of hate in here. Bad games don't get 12 million players, guys. Especially not when you have to pay by the month to play. Granted, you could argue that says as much about the player base as it does the quality of the game.

I'm off of it right now, been that way for a couple of months, but I have a pre-order in for the expansion, and I may or may not go back when it comes out.

I have to admit though, that most of my strongest gaming memories have come from the playing of MMOs. I've played a lot of RTSs and FPSs, but when I move on I don't feel like I take with me anything. It was just a way to pass the time. My early days with Everquest and Wow though, are filled with experiences that I remember.

When I get sick of them, I really get sick of them, and I'd not played Wow for many years before returning earlier this year, but it's gaming that I remember years on, and I think that counts for something.

30. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 17:56 Frijoles

InBlack wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 10:24:
The funny thing is she dumped me only a few months onward but by that time I kind of lost all interest in coming back to it.

WoW will never dump you. *hug*

29. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 17:52 Prez

I found it extremely boring as well. I tried it a long, long time ago and it cemented my utter hatred for all things MMO.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

28. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 17:23 Beamer

Icewind wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 14:32:
I never understood how people can get addicted to WoW. I tried it. Played it for two weeks in the summer of 2006 and was bored out of my mind. It had no story, was nothing but constant combat and the players were all "lol"-spewing sh*theads. Though that last part may be due to me playing on the "Horde" side as an orc, I don't think it was much different anywhere else on the server.

That was my experience as well.
I didn't even make it through the 14 day trial.

For me, a game either needs to reward me on skill or make me feel like a god.
WoW did neither. Skill is replaced by persistence (aka time spent in game), and the godliness is also replaced by time spent in the game, as it's impossible for you to be some amazing hero when 12 million people already did the exact same quests.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 15:59 Steele Johnson

GayBlade wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 10:54:
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - Bertrand Russell

For my part, I have wasted a lot of time in WoW and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

Cheers!

Same here. But I'm one of those people that are able to take things in moderation.

My (small) guild just gets together once or twice per week to play and it's still a lot of fun. I'm definitely really looking forward to this expansion.

26. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 15:12 heroin

That is a good one.

Blizzard is smart once again, though. I haven't had my prescription for over a month, they didn't send me a free week because I gather they realize I'll be having a relapse very soon. After my tolerance of buffout, psycho, mentats and jet builds up to have no effect. Soon enough it will be back to smoking weed and flying on magical dragons.

25. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 14:56 rist3903

They really shouldn't give lapsed players 7 days of free play time just when an expansion comes out, as so many people on makes the game have a ton of problems.

'Come back and see us at our worst, so you can remember why you stopped playing!'

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo