Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 16, 2010, 16:55 CDWarden

The 1 reason why smartphones won't kill most of these businesses (especially MP3 players, GPS, and Digital cameras):

1. A minimum of $70 a month and multi-year contracts.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: The Ten Businesses The Smartphone Has Destroyed. Nov 16, 2010, 00:14 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 17:25:
Man, I hate using my phone as a flashlight. It isn't directed. Sure, when I shut my light off at night it occasionally helps me get to my bed without tripping over furniture, but other than that? My keychain is a tiny LED flashlight, and for anything more I have a superpowerful, supersmall crank-powered LED flashlight.

The double LED camera flash on my Droid is blindingly bright and Motorola has an official app to turn them off and on. It's probably my most used app after work email.

4. Re: The Ten Businesses The Smartphone Has Destroyed. Nov 15, 2010, 17:25 Beamer

Man, I hate using my phone as a flashlight. It isn't directed. Sure, when I shut my light off at night it occasionally helps me get to my bed without tripping over furniture, but other than that? My keychain is a tiny LED flashlight, and for anything more I have a superpowerful, supersmall crank-powered LED flashlight.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: The Ten Businesses The Smartphone Has Destroyed. Nov 15, 2010, 16:20 Scud

I'm a bit skeptical on it replacing the "Clunky" PC for internet access, sure if I'm out and about I may use it to check something, but at home I couldn't see myself using a smartphone over my pc. The screen is just too damn tiny for comfortable use. I don't see them replacing flashlights either, they're fine in a pinch but there's no way it would beat a real flashlight, besides using it as a flashlight must be murder on the battery life.  

2. Re: The Ten Businesses The Smartphone Has Destroyed. Nov 15, 2010, 13:27 mch

Jim wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 12:49:
They forgot one. Flashlights. Every week at the observatory we have people come up and somehow can't cope with the red (night-vision preserving) lights we have on and use their phone screens as flash lights, which prevent anyone else from keeping their night vision.

Good one. Not just the screens, either. There's an app that uses my phone's LED flashes as a flashlight if I need.

PSN: CaseDesignate

1. The Ten Businesses The Smartphone Has Destroyed. Nov 15, 2010, 12:49 Jim

They forgot one. Flashlights. Every week at the observatory we have people come up and somehow can't cope with the red (night-vision preserving) lights we have on and use their phone screens as flash lights, which prevent anyone else from keeping their night vision.

And wow is that 24/7 Wall St. site annoying! Trying to read the page and kept getting nagging pop ups.

Jim

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo