Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Kings and Castles Monthly DLC Plans

IGDA Perspectives Newsletter includes a "studio spotlight" on Gas Powered Games, where studio head Chris Taylor discusses his company. On the topic of Kings and Castles, he explains how they plan on taking DLC to "a whole new level," saying: "Kings and Castles is an opportunity to explore a new business model … first we release the core game, and then each month, we release new content, or monarchs. It's taking the whole downloadable content model to a whole new level, but we might also bring some aspects of microtransactions to it as well." Thanks Big Download.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Kings and Castles Monthly DLC Plans Nov 15, 2010, 11:46 Kxmode

DLC; The new MMORPG.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Kings and Castles Monthly DLC Plans Nov 15, 2010, 06:01 Golwar

Taylor must assume that his customers are indeed dumb. After Demigods and Supreme Commander II, there are still fanboys around. He must think he can't do anything worse, so he'll be safe.

Even without his latest "announcement", how could K&C be something good? I've seen 2 or 3 of his video blogs and he talked and showed almost nothing about the game - wtf?
And the E3 trailer had been a pure nightmare. So thanks Chris, but you don't have to make any further efforts to make me NOT buy this game.

11. Re: Kings and Castles Monthly DLC Plans Nov 15, 2010, 00:59 Jerykk

Sadly, when millions of people are willing to pay $15 for map packs, publishers and developers have no reason to think otherwise.  

10. Re: Kings and Castles Monthly DLC Plans Nov 15, 2010, 00:28 Prez

I never understood why developers brag about looking forward to milking their customers post-release. I understand that they want additional revenue streams (who wouldn't?), but why announce it as if it is a "feature"? Do they really view us as these mindless charge card-carrying lemmings who will rejoice at the chance to be charged extra for tiny additions and patches (things, BTW, that used to be free)? Do they really view the customer so contemptuously?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Kings and Castles Monthly DLC Plans Nov 15, 2010, 00:27 Jerykk

RTS + DLC doesn't work. Balance is so important to the genre and it's hard enough to release the game in a balanced state, letalone rebalance it every time you make new DLC.  

8. Re: Kings and Castles Monthly DLC Plans Nov 14, 2010, 23:55 tskiller

Wow, this is sounding like its shaping up to be even worse than supreme commander 2 on so many "levels".  

7. Re: Kings and Castles Monthly DLC Plans Nov 14, 2010, 21:54 jsmith

It is as if he honestly believes people are excited by the notion of paying full retail for a game, followed by monthly costs and possibly microtransactions on top of that. I can honestly say I think he is truly out of touch with reality. Is he thinking to himself, "Why would people pay $50 or $60 when they can spend twice that or more?"

It's a lofty goal, but maybe he will be able to 1-up Hellgate London. Time will tell...

6. Re: Kings and Castles Monthly DLC Plans Nov 14, 2010, 20:15 Sempai

Dear Mr.Taylor

You are a blow hard douche bag who's only MO these days is how to milk whats left of your fanbase.

Heres an idea you fuckturd, How about holding back on the release of your new money toy until that AWESOME dlc is finished and THEN release the game finished.

I realize that is something you've never been capable of but here's hopin.

What am i saying?..

That would actually take integrity.

5. Re: Kings and Castles Monthly DLC Plans Nov 14, 2010, 18:23 Golwar

As much as I loved Total Annihilation, as much will I ignore future games from Mr. Taylor.  

4. Re: Kings and Castles Monthly DLC Plans Nov 14, 2010, 17:52 SirKnight

Modern gaming...taking nickle-and-diming to a whole new level.  

3. Re: Kings and Castles Monthly DLC Plans Nov 14, 2010, 16:29 eRe4s3r

Who even cares? The game isn't out nor done nor anywhere near finished. At this point he can "might" and "maybe" whatever he wants, the reality, like so often, will likely be a bug ridden mess that fails economically and doesn't warrant more than 1 DLC - thats the first and last patch.  

2. Re: Kings and Castles Monthly DLC Plans Nov 14, 2010, 16:01 ASeven

I had some interest in this game, don't have it anymore!  

1. Re: Kings and Castles Monthly DLC Plans Nov 14, 2010, 15:29 DangerDog

Thanks for the heads up Chris, I'll be sure to avoid this game like the plague.  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo