Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On StarCraft II in Korea

The Battle For StarCraft II on Edge Magazine discusses the controversial state of Blizzard's real-time strategy sequel in South Korea, where the broadcast rights to e-sports matches have been a bone of contention. The article discusses how take-up of the game in Korea has been slow as a result, and why that situation may be changing. Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 15, 2010, 01:39 Dev

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 21:02:
No Blizzard HAD to take control of it due to being screwed over by the company they gave control of it to in the first place.

And again read the article, it's not about Blizzard or the gamers, it's about the company's that want to sell their products off of it like say for example, Nike/Reebok getting pissed because the NFL wasn't getting the money from Nike/Reebok, because the NFL Players (whatever it's called) made a side deal with Nike/Reebok.

I did, and it said that when they entered "negotiations" blizzard insisted/demanded on total control of every aspect, so the company said yeah, no.

So its more like how the NFL is going after churches playing matches on a TV, since they OMG are a public performance. NFL wants total control.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 21:02 The Half Elf

No Blizzard HAD to take control of it due to being screwed over by the company they gave control of it to in the first place.

And again read the article, it's not about Blizzard or the gamers, it's about the company's that want to sell their products off of it like say for example, Nike/Reebok getting pissed because the NFL wasn't getting the money from Nike/Reebok, because the NFL Players (whatever it's called) made a side deal with Nike/Reebok.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

20. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 14:59 Paketep

Just another thing that Blizz managed to fuck up: the biggest professional scene in the world, just to make sure they were the only ones making the decissions. To hell with gamers, to hell with everybody that made the SC scene in Korea what it is today. In fact, to hell with everyone that put Blizzard were they are today.

The new ActiBlizzard are just a bunch of dicks. Kotickitis is highly contagious.

19. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 13:51 Mashiki Amiketo

PHJF wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 12:57:
The article is called "On StarCraft II in Korea". Not "... in America".
And you win the missing the point entirely award of the week, and it' just started.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

18. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 12:57 PHJF

The article is called "On StarCraft II in Korea". Not "... in America".  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 12:54 Mashiki Amiketo

PHJF wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 12:22:
Short of living in Korea, none of you have any perspective on this.
Yes because some of us have never lived there, or Japan, or China, or Singapore, or Taiwan. Yep, you got me. Rolleyes

And of course they're trying to box and sell it just like a sport. In S.Korea it is a sport, in North America, it's looked upon as a WTF are you doing? Gaming in North America and Europe still has this weird mumbojumbo negative string attached to it.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

16. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 12:47 Pigeon

PHJF wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 12:22:
Short of living in Korea, none of you have any perspective on this. Have you ever noticed that all sports broadcasts in the states begin with, "this broadcast is property of the :insert sports organization: and cannot be viewed without the express written consent of the :insert sports organization:"? Blizzard is trying to turn StarCraft into the NFL.

That's exactly what they're trying to do, except the NFL is a well established multi-billion dollar industry, while competitive gaming is just squeaking along on its training wheels. Its too bad the dollar signs in their eyes are impairing their ability to see their actions are stifling this fledgling market.

15. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 12:22 PHJF

Short of living in Korea, none of you have any perspective on this. Have you ever noticed that all sports broadcasts in the states begin with, "this broadcast is property of the :insert sports organization: and cannot be viewed without the express written consent of the :insert sports organization:"? Blizzard is trying to turn StarCraft into the NFL.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 11:18 Nameless Again

This makes me happy. I'd love to see Blizzard shoot themselves in the foot, basically pissing off an entire COUNTRY of gamers who were devoted to their product. Greedy fucks.

Kind of makes me feel all sunny on the inside.

13. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 09:22 Doombringer

I haven't closely followed the whole Starcraft e-Sports thing, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem is here... but it seems to be IP related? These days, your IP is your lifeblood in this industry. Were the Korean broadcasters infringing on this somehow?

What I *have* seen of the Korean e-Sports stuff does seem like they took things and ran with it, and Blizzard basically gave them carte blanche to do so. I can't really blame them for wanting to rein things in. If YOU made a product that somehow spawned competitive, ranked matches based on it... I think you'd want a big piece of that pie, too.

I liken it to the creator of the rubber chicken wanting in on any nationally or globally-televised, high-profile rubber chicken prize fights.

12. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 09:03 Dev

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 08:51:
Read the entire article guys.
The original broadcaster of Starcraft games on TV in South Korea, screwed over Blizzard and Illegally sold the rights to broadcast the matches to someone else. When this happened, Blizzard itself took over control and actually looked into what was going on.
Blizzard tried to renegotiate with the company that screwed them over, and couldn't come to an agreement so Blizzard went with another company.

It goes on and on, but it helps to read the entire article.
Yes BUT, in a case like this, the company (blizz) should be looking at the cost of fixing the problem (alienating customers) vs the profit of leaving the illegal profits alone (tons more customers buying SC2). The real catch 22 is that if blizz doesn't go after them, that could weaken their IP and lose them rights to it. Perhaps they coulda just had the korean company sign something for a tiny fee (I still think blizzard was trying to hold out for too much money, especially when the article says there's little money in broadcasting it in the first place) something next to nothing. Even if its $1, then at least they can get the company under contract.

Edit: After reading it, looks like I was half right. Blizzard wanted total CONTROL, so it wasn't the money issue, it was a power issue. Well we've seen how they've done everyone online and no LAN play, and the stupid region locking all of which are control issues, so its not surprising blizz (activision's influence probably) wanted total control of everything involving SC2.

This battle over intellectual rights may in fact damage the very industry which Blizzard wants to run.

As Korean StarCraft commentator Milkis says, this offline battle is all about control. “Blizzard wanted a lot of control – ownership of pretty much everything – which KeSPA refused to give. The actual negotiations had little to do with money, but more about how much control each party has.”

And this is DESPITE blizzard giving the game away for FREE to a chunk of korean players:
Blizzard offered the game to Korean WOW gamers for free.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2010, 09:09.

11. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 08:51 The Half Elf

Read the entire article guys.
The original broadcaster of Starcraft games on TV in South Korea, screwed over Blizzard and Illegally sold the rights to broadcast the matches to someone else. When this happened, Blizzard itself took over control and actually looked into what was going on.
Blizzard tried to renegotiate with the company that screwed them over, and couldn't come to an agreement so Blizzard went with another company.

It goes on and on, but it helps to read the entire article.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

10. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 06:11 eRe4s3r

Thats because there is no Blizzard anymore, its Activision or more the point, the cancer cell that is Vivendi (who own Activision). And even though the BlizPR Drones will deny it, the last decisions speak volumes about who really runs the show at ActiBliz.

And its not Acti or Bliz.

9. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 06:05 eRe4s3r

*double post*

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2010, 06:11.

8. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 04:47 rist3903

I am a huge blizzard fan but they are being complete and utter twits about this. There seem to be very few things you could do to alienate a core fan base more effectively than to do this and to eliminate LAN play.  

7. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 01:51 FloorPie

But, but, no lan ability was all about piracy!

Sadly, I actually ended up liking the single player but just the annoyance factor of always having to log in to bnet to do anything (unless you want to play without campaign saves) and I'm not that interested anymore. Withthe new bnet design, I don't find multiplayer much fun either. I'm not paying $60 for the next installment of the single player either at this point.

D3 is pretty much off my radar now as D2 was usually worse on bnet than on lan/direct IP with friends. Who knows when they'll even release it. Torchlight2/MMO might be out before it.

6. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 01:01 Muscular Beaver

Icewind wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 00:14:
Wonder how they'll dick over Diablo fans.

They already did. D3 wont have LAN either and, well... it still looks like WoW.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

5. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 00:14 Icewind

Escapist did an article about this too yesterday.

Really, it's due to Blizzard being douchebags about the whole mandatory online thing and the lack of LAN play. I knew it would come back to bite them in the ass and it turns out I was right after all. Though to be fair, a lot of others saw this coming as well.

It also doesn't help that they are suing people who cheat at the game. Blizzard is basically morphing into a mini-Activision and it won't be long until that transformation is complete. Or if it already is.

Wonder how they'll dick over Diablo fans.

4. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 14, 2010, 00:08 Silicon Avatar

I can't say I'll shed any tears over "pro league" RTS games and whether or not they can be televised or whatever. It's like missing out on a hot dog eating contest. Just don't care.

3. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 13, 2010, 23:55 Rigs

Isn't it common sense that if you have a huge following that you should try as much as possible not to piss them off? I mean, how hard is that to remember?

It's like Blizzard is thinking that 'oh well, you know, even though you guys are the only country on the planet that televise computer gaming matches, and it's our game that's so popular, we need to get in on some of those licensing dollars...but don't dwell on the fact that we've gotten billions from the sale of the game already, that doesn't count...no, it doesn't....why?...well, 'cause it's a new version! Duh!...' Kick

Pathetic... Rolleyes

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo