Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return

Champions Online is once again offering lifetime subscriptions, an interesting move since Cryptic's superhero MMORPG is soon going free-to-play. In outlining the perks of this $299.00 lifetime commitment, they say: "When Champions Online goes Free-to-Play, Lifetime Subscribers will receive all the benefits of Gold Members in perpetuity." Thanks Massively.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 14, 2010, 20:39 Kxmode

Does a $300 "lifetime commitment" also include free expansions?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 14, 2010, 10:31 The Half Elf

I can deal with DCUO's interface on the PC (not hard to deal with at all), the biggest issue, is it's very hard to go back to a 'class' system after playing Champions Online. And being limited to 3 colors for your characters.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

17. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 14, 2010, 09:16 Cutter

Grounded wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 06:48:
DC Universe Online is a console port brought to the PC plain and simple. Everything I do in that game reeks of console garbage. The menus, the menu items labeled "X" "O" button all that crap.

I find it not that engaging since I am not a console boy. I am in the beta and I dont like it. I am a more traditional MMO player and like Champions over DCUO. However this offer is the dumbest thing ever.

Sad, but true. It's unbelievable! I assumed it would at least be two differnt UIs for the different players, but it's straight up pure console and plays like a pure console game. Unless they redo the UI entirely for the PC that game will fail in record time. These kinds of games are just not meant to be played on a console with a controller. And while what they have for character creation is nice - and again clumsy as hell to use with the console UI - there isn't near enough of it, not even close to what CoX/CO has which means a lot of clones with slight variations will be running around. The game plays like an arcade game too in everything from combat to how mobs drop big glowing items Mario style when you destroy them. I could go on, but suffice it to say DCUO will not be doing anything big at this rate.

So far, Bats AA is the only good comic book game I've ever played. And I'm seriously beginning to doubt anyone will ever make a good superhero MOG.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

16. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 14, 2010, 07:01 Grokk

Prez wrote on Nov 13, 2010, 23:22:
Hard to believe anyone would fall for this after the debacle that was Hellgate.

This.

Let alone the price they are asking is quite considerable compared to other previous offerings.

15. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 14, 2010, 06:48 Grounded

DC Universe Online is a console port brought to the PC plain and simple. Everything I do in that game reeks of console garbage. The menus, the menu items labeled "X" "O" button all that crap.

I find it not that engaging since I am not a console boy. I am in the beta and I dont like it. I am a more traditional MMO player and like Champions over DCUO. However this offer is the dumbest thing ever.

14. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 14, 2010, 04:57 Zanakar

Asmo wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 04:26:
Fairly engrossing main storyline if you're a Tolkien fan, support is top notch, zero gold sellers, reasonably meaningful crafting system etc etc etc. What's not to love.

CO on the other hand is one of the most shallow, linear 'mmos' I've had the misfortune of playing. Capped max level in just 7 days of play on the 3 day head start. Once you've done max level, there was bugger all to do and no real option to go back and pick a different path. Gameplay was okay but as an MMO, it made a fairly average single player game... This is a desperate cash grab and nothing else.

Indeed, LOTRO is fun *if* you are a Tolkien fan or someone who reads cookie fantasy books and manages to get surprised every time, for the rest of us it is MMORPG equivalent of all the boring fantasy clichés in one easy-to-avoid package.

As for CO, it suffers from same "nothing to do at max level except boring grinding" package as many other MMORPGs. For example, high-level content at CoH is for most part about doing "Task Forces", fine name for being forced into a team and spending several hours grinding untold square rooms' worth of hordes of few different easy-to-kill bulk monster types. Oh, and with Going Rogue expansion you can change from hero to villain or villain to hero and, *drumroll* do even more such mindless grinding under different name.

Not saying that CO doesn't have its flaws (it definitely does, heck I got bored with the game myself), just pointing out that problems with CO are more about problems with MMORPGs in general and not specific to that game.

13. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 14, 2010, 04:26 Asmo

Esoteric wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 04:07:
StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 00:19:

You're still playing LOTRO though, sadly.

Why sadly? LOTRO is actually a very good MMO, and keeps getting better. I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. The landscape graphics can be simply amazing.

Aye, DX11 support and works wonderfully in Eyefinity, engaging gameplay etc.

eg. http://www.users.on.net/~asmodai/Pictures/LOTRO/ScreenShot00003.jpg (area in Moria)

Fairly engrossing main storyline if you're a Tolkien fan, support is top notch, zero gold sellers, reasonably meaningful crafting system etc etc etc. What's not to love.

CO on the other hand is one of the most shallow, linear 'mmos' I've had the misfortune of playing. Capped max level in just 7 days of play on the 3 day head start. Once you've done max level, there was bugger all to do and no real option to go back and pick a different path. Gameplay was okay but as an MMO, it made a fairly average single player game... This is a desperate cash grab and nothing else.

12. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 14, 2010, 04:07 Esoteric

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 00:19:
Nerian wrote on Nov 13, 2010, 23:43:
Is there at least one prior example of Lifetime subscriptions kicking ass? HELL YES!

My wife and I both have lifetime subs. We paid 400$ up front. The game's been running for 43 months. 43 x 14.99 x 2 = 1289.14 - 400 = $889.14 saved in monthly subscription fees alone. Add in the approximately 50$ in just random crap they've thrown in over the years, basically pushing 1400$ value for 400$. That's pretty kick-ass, and we're still benefitting from it.

We get 400 points a month, they're going to sell expansions through the online store. That means that we will get those expansions at a significant discount when they're released, if not outright for free. We've unlocked character slots, extra storage space...all things that other people have paid out the arse for since the game went F2P, we got for free.

Why sadly? LOTRO is actually a very good MMO, and keeps getting better. I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. The landscape graphics can be simply amazing.

11. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 14, 2010, 04:04 Esoteric

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 13, 2010, 21:07:
Esoteric wrote on Nov 13, 2010, 21:00:
They're just grasping at straws right now. DC Universe Online is going to take away the rest of their players.

DC Universe has 2 things going for it. 1) The Unreal Engine which makes the game silky smooth and slightly better looking then Champions Online (with HUGE outdoor areas), and 2) The DC name.
Character Creation right now in DCUO is worse then City of Heroes/Villains right now. Not sure if that's due to not implementing them yet or what.

They made a conscious design decision to limit the character creation options in favor of aesthetic loot you gain through your missions in the world. So instead of picking one look at the beginning and having it be the same through the entire game, your costume will evolve based on random loot drops and particular missions.

Personally, I kind of like what they decided, as it makes getting new items interesting. And once you "try on" an item, you keep that look in your "cosmetic inventory" forever, so you'll have dozens of looks to choose from, for each inventory slot.

So yes, character creation looks are gimped in the beginning, but not in the long run.

10. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 14, 2010, 01:17 AnointedSword

Indeed.  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

9. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 14, 2010, 00:19 StingingVelvet

Nerian wrote on Nov 13, 2010, 23:43:
Is there at least one prior example of Lifetime subscriptions kicking ass? HELL YES!

My wife and I both have lifetime subs. We paid 400$ up front. The game's been running for 43 months. 43 x 14.99 x 2 = 1289.14 - 400 = $889.14 saved in monthly subscription fees alone. Add in the approximately 50$ in just random crap they've thrown in over the years, basically pushing 1400$ value for 400$. That's pretty kick-ass, and we're still benefitting from it.

We get 400 points a month, they're going to sell expansions through the online store. That means that we will get those expansions at a significant discount when they're released, if not outright for free. We've unlocked character slots, extra storage space...all things that other people have paid out the arse for since the game went F2P, we got for free.

8. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 13, 2010, 23:43 Nerian

Warskull wrote on Nov 13, 2010, 21:45:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 13, 2010, 21:05:
Original Lifetime price

Ok so it was originally offered for 199.99, and then taken off the table when the game went live.

Then they offer one for Star Trek Online for 249.99 until the game goes live, then raise it to 299.99 after the game goes live.

Now I could see 50 bucks, but how do you justify 100 bucks when the game is about to become Free 2 Play?

You don't, they are just trying to milk dumb fanboys for cash one last time. There are a handful of players that will probably buy it and complain when it shuts down 6 months later (like Hellgate players.)

It is really simple, you don't offer a lifetime subscription when you think you have a highly successful game on your hands.

Tell that to Turbine. LOTRO's lifetime sub was 199 and has paid for itself. It was available before the game was out of beta. Current lifetime subscribers at the time it went F2P got a big chunk of free points, all the perks that normal subcribers would now have permanently, and a few extra bonuses over the years that other people had to pay for.

It's all in how they're supported.

Do I think Cryptic will make it worth the money? HELL NO!

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2010, 23:50.

7. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 13, 2010, 23:22 Prez

Hard to believe anyone would fall for this after the debacle that was Hellgate.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 13, 2010, 22:51 Veterator

Hell if they want 2-3 years subscription up front, they could at least throw the people a bone and give them some extras over the normal subscription price anyone can do.

You'd think by now they'd try to package their MMOs like SOE does an offer an all access pass thing for a monthly/yearly/lifetime fee. At least then you'd have two not very good MMOs you'd have to get tired of before you felt cheated.

5. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 13, 2010, 21:45 Warskull

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 13, 2010, 21:05:
Original Lifetime price

Ok so it was originally offered for 199.99, and then taken off the table when the game went live.

Then they offer one for Star Trek Online for 249.99 until the game goes live, then raise it to 299.99 after the game goes live.

Now I could see 50 bucks, but how do you justify 100 bucks when the game is about to become Free 2 Play?

You don't, they are just trying to milk dumb fanboys for cash one last time. There are a handful of players that will probably buy it and complain when it shuts down 6 months later (like Hellgate players.)

It is really simple, you don't offer a lifetime subscription when you think you have a highly successful game on your hands.

4. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 13, 2010, 21:07 The Half Elf

Esoteric wrote on Nov 13, 2010, 21:00:
They're just grasping at straws right now. DC Universe Online is going to take away the rest of their players.

DC Universe has 2 things going for it. 1) The Unreal Engine which makes the game silky smooth and slightly better looking then Champions Online (with HUGE outdoor areas), and 2) The DC name.
Character Creation right now in DCUO is worse then City of Heroes/Villains right now. Not sure if that's due to not implementing them yet or what.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 13, 2010, 21:05 The Half Elf

Original Lifetime price

2. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 13, 2010, 21:00 Esoteric

1. Re: Champions Online Lifetime Subscriptions Return Nov 13, 2010, 19:50 Keith

$299? Crazy.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo