Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch

Steam now offers a patch for Call of Duty: Black Ops with multiplayer improvements for the Windows edition of the just-released military shooter. The new version has fixes for the "join in progress" function and the "Friends" tab in the server browser along with performance improvements for dual- and quad-core systems. A post to the game's official forums outlines the roadmap for future changes:

We are listening to you and we’ve been busy working on updates based on feedback from the community. We have already deployed a number of updates, and there will be many more to come. Stay tuned right here for all the latest info.

LIVE FIXES

11/10

• GameServers.com has bumped sv_maxrate to 25000 across all servers to reduce lag.
  • GameServers.com continues to improve official server distribution in various worldwide regions.

11/11

• Friends fix for join in progress and Friends tab in server browser.
  • Performance improvement for dual and quad core.
  • Improved connectivity with Black Ops Rcon tool.

IN PROGRESS

• GPU hitching on certain graphics cards.
  • Incomplete server browser results.
  • Improvements to Quickmatch joins (results with better ping and reduced lag).
  • Zombies "The game session is no longer available" error.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 13, 2010, 15:17 badasscat

Just saw the Castro stories popping up,...I found the whole
thing funny funny!

Be funnier if you could pick him in MP...;)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 13, 2010, 07:24 SpectralMeat

durandal wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 21:40:
Another thing irritates me besides the state of the game itself is that almost all the major review sites (including Gamespot and IGN) simply copy & paste the Xbox version review onto PC version's and gave it 8-9, completely ignoring its horrible stuttering issues in both MP&SP or the unplayable multiplayer element.

According to Metacritic, only the reviewers at Destructoid and Gameplanet seems even actually played it beforehand. Shame.

Yeah that is unfortunately the case usually with the cross platform games. They don't bother playing it on all platforms when they review it just play it on the xbox and then put the exact same review up for all 3 platforms.

Steam: SpectralMeat

31. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 21:40 durandal

Another thing irritates me besides the state of the game itself is that almost all the major review sites (including Gamespot and IGN) simply copy & paste the Xbox version review onto PC version's and gave it 8-9, completely ignoring its horrible stuttering issues in both MP&SP or the unplayable multiplayer element.

According to Metacritic, only the reviewers at Destructoid and Gameplanet seems even actually played it beforehand. Shame.

30. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 19:33 RollinThundr

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 19:18:
Stuttering was fixed for me BIGTIME - but I had already knocked all settings down pretty far and no shadows, etc etc etc.

Friends stuff now works, which is nice, but I still can't find the server we rented. I connected 1x, added it to favs, and now it isn't there......

Oh well. I have 11 hours of MP in, and having a blast. Worth $60.00? Nope, but I don't know of any games that are!

Havn't even tried the SP yet.

The stuttering was fixed for me big time as well. SP was ok, standard 7-10 hour FPS fare. It was pretty much non stop action and the story was serviceable.I enjoyed it anyway.

I'm also really enjoying the MP since now you're not constantly getting killed by either a knife or a shot gun from all the way across the map. It feels better balanced on the MP side of things than MW2 by a long shot. I know people love to hate on Treyarch but personally WaW due to the War game mode, and now BLOPS for me personally have both been more enjoyable than the 2 MW titles IW did.

I do however really miss War as a game mode. Shame it didn't find its way back for BLOPS.

29. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 19:33 Jackplug

black ops is a bag of utter shit... Never will i buy another cod game, maps remind me of doom they are that bad...  

28. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 19:18 xXBatmanXx

Stuttering was fixed for me BIGTIME - but I had already knocked all settings down pretty far and no shadows, etc etc etc.

Friends stuff now works, which is nice, but I still can't find the server we rented. I connected 1x, added it to favs, and now it isn't there......

Oh well. I have 11 hours of MP in, and having a blast. Worth $60.00? Nope, but I don't know of any games that are!

Havn't even tried the SP yet.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

27. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 18:05 Mostly_Harmless

The worst one for me was the firing range map, but they were all pretty bad apart from Nuketown. They all run silky smooth now without shadows.

The lagginess and frame rate problems are gone for the most part but now the game is kicking everyone out after 3 minutes of play with a Steam disconnect error, this game just can't catch a break.

Glad it's not just me then, I just had that on 3 maps in a row :(.

26. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 18:05 Vulkan

The lagginess and frame rate problems are gone for the most part but now the game is kicking everyone out after 3 minutes of play with a Steam disconnect error, this game just can't catch a break.  

25. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 17:35 Dr. D. Schreber

Mostly_Harmless wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 16:51:
Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 15:50:
Multiplayer got a huge performance boost for me, but with shadows enabled, of all things, performance drops by literally half. There's clearly still a graphics-related bug going on.

Not that I notice shadows in multiplayer anyway, so it's easy for me to have fun with it regardless now.

Wow, I see what you mean, like I said a few posts back the patch fixed the hitching but hosed my frame rate, I just played a couple of rounds with shadows disabled and it's amazing what a difference it made to performance.

Do you also get poor performance in general in the Hilton? Love the map but it kills my framerate for some reason. Only down to about 45 so it's still playable, but still annoying.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

24. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 16:51 Mostly_Harmless

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 15:50:
Multiplayer got a huge performance boost for me, but with shadows enabled, of all things, performance drops by literally half. There's clearly still a graphics-related bug going on.

Not that I notice shadows in multiplayer anyway, so it's easy for me to have fun with it regardless now.

Wow, I see what you mean, like I said a few posts back the patch fixed the hitching but hosed my frame rate, I just played a couple of rounds with shadows disabled and it's amazing what a difference it made to performance.

23. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 16:39 Creston

durandal wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 12:43:
...and do you guys remember Treyarch's head dev said "We are a PC developer" about a month ago ?
LOL!

Yeah, they should have shoved 5.7 million copies of that game up his fucking ass, the fucker.

Anyways, no surprise here. The lemmings buy the game in droves and think it's the greatest ever, cocktick is proven right that he never has to try to bring out a new IP, since the sheeple will just buy the same game over and over and over again, and the PC got shafted once again.

Not really surprising, is it?

Creston

22. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 16:09 Bucky

Mostly_Harmless wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 14:34:
I've heard of people who are renting servers for their clans but can't actually find a way to connect to them!

I actually ran into this on launch day. A clan player added me to his friends list, then I had to rejoin their server via my recently played list and invite him in so that he could play on his own clan server.

The patch fixed my hitching issues (mostly) and I'm having a blast with the game. Better than MW2 in my opinion, if for no other reason than because Treyarch apparently understands that maps need to be, in at least some way, designed around gameplay. Also no more stopping power, scavenger doesn't replenish secondary ammo, no more quickscoping, etc.

My biggest gripe? Console players can choose their wager match ante (3 tiers, IIRC) while PC players are limited to the 500 buy in. I'd like to play more One In The Chamber games, but I'm not about to toss the 500 away on a game mode I suck at.

21. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 15:50 Dr. D. Schreber

Elessar wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 14:57:
The game looks awesome, but I haven't had a chance to play it to it's full potential because of the stuttering. Patch fixed it for some, but not all. I think the GPU hitching bullet point is what will fix it for the majority. Looking forward to them ironing this out finally.

I am shocked that it was released in such a state. l2beta.

I agree. Multiplayer got a huge performance boost for me, but with shadows enabled, of all things, performance drops by literally half. There's clearly still a graphics-related bug going on.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

20. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 15:40 StingingVelvet

This patch fixed the singleplayer stutter for me for the most part. I still get a minor moment of it here and there when loading in a lot of assets, but for the most part it's smooth.

Not excusing such a horrible bug but at least they fixed it in two days, I expected much worse.

19. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 14:57 Elessar

The game looks awesome, but I haven't had a chance to play it to it's full potential because of the stuttering. Patch fixed it for some, but not all. I think the GPU hitching bullet point is what will fix it for the majority. Looking forward to them ironing this out finally.

I am shocked that it was released in such a state. l2beta.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

18. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 14:49 space captain

"IN PROGRESS" ... wtf  
Go forth, and kill!

17. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 14:34 Mostly_Harmless

Well the patch fixed the stuttering but screwed up my overall frame rate

The worst thing for me is that I can't believe how difficult it is to jump into a game with friends, they shipped it with the inability to join a server from it's IP address either in the menu's or the console, you can't even click on a friend in your Steam list and join their game either (nice Steamworks integration there guys, just use it for DRM and VAC without actually giving us any of the useful features).

You can only see a fraction of the servers that are out there via the browser and even if you added a server to your favourites in the past, if it's not listed in the cache of servers currently in the browser then it won't appear in your favourites or recent lists either.

I've heard of people who are renting servers for their clans but can't actually find a way to connect to them!

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2010, 14:41.

16. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 13:55 SpectralMeat

TurdFergasun wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 13:41:
whens the last game that was hyped this large to fall flat on it's face?

How about if you ignore the hype? If you do not listen to any PR bullshit do not follow any gaming news at all you just walk into a game store and find the game on the shelf and buy it to give it a try. Without any hype or expectations. Will it entertain you more?

I think hype is the biggest killer for these games, it seems when a game is not hyped people enjoy them a lot more. Hence the love for the indy games.

I am not saying you guys are right or wrong in your judgment when it comes to games like the ones I listed but I do believe a lot of the hate is going on here because of the name on the box of the game.

Steam: SpectralMeat

15. Re: Star Trek Online End of Beta Event Nov 12, 2010, 13:51 AnointedSword

This game rocks and takes skill. Don't hate the anus kickers! Oo

Also, please define consolized POS. Because many say this and I think they have no idea what they are talking about. Define it from a gamers perspective and a developers perspective. For example, look at the Obama administration. They say this and that without having or presenting the facts. The media gives them a pass because 90% of the media vote democrat. Sorry, you are not getting a pass here. Blackops is the deepest fps shooter around. The unlocks go deeper than any other game to date. The gameplay is awesome (if you have the skill to stay alive *sorry, everyone cannot be a winner*). Anyone can throw names around, let's put up or shutup.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2010, 14:14.

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

14. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops MP Patch Nov 12, 2010, 13:48 Kxmode

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 13:26:
Horseback Barbie Adventures got rock solid reviews guys maybe you should look into that for a change

Best. Game. Ever!

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo