Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Emergent Selling Gamebryo

Middleware studio Gamebryo's Gamebyro Lightspeed engine is now for sale, reports GamesIndustry.biz (registration required) where they say the move is being forced by investor Venture Lending and Leasing V, inc, who have liquidation group Gerbsman Partners orchestrating a sale of assets. Word is the sale is for "the acquisition of all or substantially all of Emergent Game Technology's assets, including its Intellectual Property in whole or in part."

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 23:50 Kxmode

The Advocate wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 23:25:
kxmode wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 19:40:
I played Fallout 3 and Oblivion on my dual-core and nVidia 7950 GTX for hours with NO crashes what-so-ever.

Fanfuckingtastic for you!

I tried playing it on a quad core with my 8800GTX and it crashed like a motherfucker. This was after a full system wipe and clean OS install with just Intel chipset drivers and Beth's "recommended" Nvidia driver version.

Those of us who constantly crashed outnumbered people who allegedly never crashed by a factor of 100:1.

Also, were it a system issue, you wouldn't have seen some of the same behavior on consoles. As much as I love F:NV, all three major platforms have tons of videos out showing just how fucked up the engine really is.

Weird. I guess I'm lucky. Still, Bethesda should fix the problems if a ratio of people that large are having problems.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 23:25 Burrito of Peace

kxmode wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 19:40:
I played Fallout 3 and Oblivion on my dual-core and nVidia 7950 GTX for hours with NO crashes what-so-ever.

Fanfuckingtastic for you!

I tried playing it on a quad core with my 8800GTX and it crashed like a motherfucker. This was after a full system wipe and clean OS install with just Intel chipset drivers and Beth's "recommended" Nvidia driver version.

Those of us who constantly crashed outnumbered people who allegedly never crashed by a factor of 100:1.

Also, were it a system issue, you wouldn't have seen some of the same behavior on consoles. As much as I love F:NV, all three major platforms have tons of videos out showing just how fucked up the engine really is.

28. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 19:40 Kxmode

Warskull wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 16:37:
Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 16:24:
So it's very possible that Bethesda just has a bunch of fucking monkeys for coders...

Creston

That sounds like a safe guess. All their games are buggy messes. FO:NV still has the exact same crash issues that were in Fallout 3. Don't run the game on Nvidia cards or multiple cores or watch out (had a crash roughly every 2-3 hours.)

27. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 19:02 Dev

If its not an engine, they sure don't bother to do anything with their wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo
Says its an engine.
3 games from beth, 2 Civ games, 2 small MMO's is 7 out of the 8 titles listed there as being done with it.

Companies miss out when they don't bother to put anything into wiki, its usually the in the top 5 google hits (often the 2nd or 3rd).

26. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 18:20 PlayerX

Beamer wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 16:48:
Gamebryo isn't a game engine, it's game middleware. The difference is in how much of your work it does for you. In the case of Gamebryo it leaves most of the work of the game to the game developer, unlike, say, the Unreal Engine. That's why it works in so many genres.

So those crashes and muddy graphics y'all are complaining about; I'm pretty sure that's the fault of the game developer rather than Gamebryo.

Gamebryo is an engine. You're wrong there. It's every bit as much an engine as UE3, it just comes with less in the box.

Yeah, not everything bad is its fault, developers customize it pretty extensively, but the faults of the engine are the faults of the engine.

I will agree that there's misinformation and that much gets blamed on it that shouldn't (much like UE3 is blamed for all its games looking alike, which isn't its fault [and isn't really true] or gets blamed for texture-load, when I can't think of a single game that doesn't have it [Crysis and Metro 2033 are full of it, as is every console game.])

That ultimately depends on your definition of "engine". Emergent market Gamebryo as middleware. It certainly seems to fit because Gamebryo is just a layer on top of the 3D API, much like the old Direct3D retained mode was.

There is nothing to customise in Gamebryo. It's just a set of classes you tie together into a scene-graph. In that way it's a lot like Ogre3D (which does market itself as a rendering engine admittedly). New functionality is added by creating new classes and adding them to the existing ones. It doesn't help you at all if you want to have FPS movement, or want your AI to move to this spot, or want a pre-made level file-format. Things that UE3 will do for you (and then need to be customised to fit).

Gamebryo will do texture and model streaming - but only when you tell it manually to stream a particular texture or model. An engine like UE3 usually does that sort of thing automatically and behind your back.

That also means Gamebryo is much more susceptible to bad programmers. As its just a glorified 3D model renderer, all the rest of the game work has to be done by someone else. UE3-based games start with a relatively bug-free code-base that does most of the game stuff already and they modify it to suit.

25. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 16:57 Spektr

hmm the civ series uses gamebryo and *didn't* crash.. before Civ 5 came out. Are they still using gamebryo anyway?  

24. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 16:48 Beamer

Gamebryo isn't a game engine, it's game middleware. The difference is in how much of your work it does for you. In the case of Gamebryo it leaves most of the work of the game to the game developer, unlike, say, the Unreal Engine. That's why it works in so many genres.

So those crashes and muddy graphics y'all are complaining about; I'm pretty sure that's the fault of the game developer rather than Gamebryo.

Gamebryo is an engine. You're wrong there. It's every bit as much an engine as UE3, it just comes with less in the box.

Yeah, not everything bad is its fault, developers customize it pretty extensively, but the faults of the engine are the faults of the engine.

I will agree that there's misinformation and that much gets blamed on it that shouldn't (much like UE3 is blamed for all its games looking alike, which isn't its fault [and isn't really true] or gets blamed for texture-load, when I can't think of a single game that doesn't have it [Crysis and Metro 2033 are full of it, as is every console game.])

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 16:44 eRe4s3r

Well the crashes only really start once you have some mods installed.... not always are the mods to blame (but sometimes they are..)

Stock game never crashed on me either. But then again, once you tasted mods in Fallout 3, you can NEVER go back to stock again ;p

22. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 16:37 Warskull

So it's very possible that Bethesda just has a bunch of fucking monkeys for coders...

Creston

That sounds like a safe guess. All their games are buggy messes. FO:NV still has the exact same crash issues that were in Fallout 3. Don't run the game on Nvidia cards or multiple cores or watch out (had a crash roughly every 2-3 hours.) Meanwhile the Civ series uses Gamebyro and doesn't crash.

Thing is, since Gamebyro is heavily associated with Bethesda's terrible coding, I can't help but wonder if Bethesda has damaged Gamebyro's reputation.

21. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 16:35 StingingVelvet

PlayerX wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 15:36:

It's possible. The only games I've ever played with gamebryo are

Oblivion
Fallout 3
FO : NV
Defense Grid.

And that's also the order they crash the most in (from most to never.)

Creston

You never played Civ4?

20. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 16:30 DrEvil

Quboid wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 14:55:
At a guess Id will be even more in the engine developing business after Rage, possibly not releasing anything to gamers beyond tech demos.

How is that any different than usual?

I kid, I kid. But seriously, iD has produced very few "great" games since their move to 3D (I'm talking real accelerated 3D -- not raycasting engines like DOOM).

Seriously, they gave us three good 3D Games Quake I-III and that was it.

Nothing great since then. Well, ok, I admit I enjoyed the hell out of DOOM Resurrection on the iPhone, but every man has his guilty pleasures

19. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 16:27 Kxmode

Oblivion
Fallout 3
Defense Grid.

Creston

My older system crashed all the time. My "newer" system plays Oblivion and Fallout 3 without any problems and with setting maxed out. My newer system is from 2006. I don't understand how any of you have problems.

18. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 16:24 Creston

Oblivion
Fallout 3
Defense Grid.

Creston

17. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 16:02 Silicon Avatar

This doesn't surprise me. The company fired half its development staff about 8 months ago.

16. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 16:01 eRe4s3r

I guess the real problem is that bethesda was just god damn lazy and used the same code base, with all its problems, pretty much for Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout NV. And just improved what they had to.  

15. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 15:57 Verno

I think that was regarding existing projects but either way I can't really remember specifically and Google is failing me on finding the interview.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

14. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 15:38 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 10:40:
I recall reading somewhere that Zenimax's various IPs will be using in-house engines and assets going forward. I assume that's code for whatever Carmack makes, one would hope anyways. I think they've been using it so far strictly due to financials.

I remember reading the opposite, that Todd Howard or someone similar insisted they were sticking with Gamebryo for the foreseeable future.

13. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 15:36 PlayerX

I don't get the hatred for Gamebryo either. There seems to be a lot of misinformation about it around. Gamebryo isn't a game engine, it's game middleware. The difference is in how much of your work it does for you. In the case of Gamebryo it leaves most of the work of the game to the game developer, unlike, say, the Unreal Engine. That's why it works in so many genres.

Gamebryo has had background asset streaming for many years. Again, it's up to the game developer to use it. Maybe Gamebryo's biggest problem is it attracts bad developers?

(Not an employee of Emergent, I'm just familiar with Gamebryo.)

12. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 15:15 Beamer

First Torque now Gamebryo?  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Emergent Selling Gamebryo Nov 12, 2010, 14:55 Quboid

Oblivion was amazing looking but it hasn't aged well. The bland palette of grey/brown that Fallout uses means it's not going to look great anyway but animation looks dated and there are stability issues. although I haven't had many problems in that regard.

At a guess Id will be even more in the engine developing business after Rage, possibly not releasing anything to gamers beyond tech demos.

- Quboid

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo